Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-15-2007, 05:01 AM   #31
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
Personally, I have no use for speed reading, I've never been interested in developing the technique. I really enjoy savoring every word, pausing to picture what I've been reading, thinking about what other thoughts must be running through the characters' minds, envisioning scenes and dialogs in my mind as if they were movies.

I'll never get through all the books I've got planned to read, not in my lifetime, not even with speed reading. When I finally realized that, along with realizing that it's alright not to have read every great book ever written, I felt a great feeling of freedom.

I read for the pleasure of it, at my own leisure, and if it takes me a week to read what others read in an afternoon, great. I get my enjoyable experience out of it, and I am hopeful that they get theirs.

Life's too stressful in so many other ways to add to it by trying to force my way through a long list of books at super-human speed.

But if others enjoy it at their own speeds, more power to them.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 12:40 PM   #32
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
In my case I never actually "learned to speed read" it just happened naturally. Sure there are times and books I like to mull over but for most of the time and for large parts of most books I don't feel the need.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2007, 12:45 PM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Sometimes I can sit and read a book and when I look up, I've finished it and these can be some pretty big books too. It all depends on how well I am enjoying the book.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 12:45 PM   #34
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
In my case I never actually "learned to speed read" it just happened naturally. Sure there are times and books I like to mull over but for most of the time and for large parts of most books I don't feel the need.
Same here - just happened naturally. I can read pretty much any novel in 2-3 hours (books like LOTR excepted - that would take me an entire weekend), but I know very well that I'm missing a lot of the details in "scanning" a page rather than reading it line by line.

That's actually the reason why I so much enjoy listening to audiobooks, I think. There's no way to "scan" an audio book; it comes to you one line at a time and that's the way you hear it. I know that, after listening to an audiobook of a book that I've previously read on paper, I'm often surprised at all the details that I've missing when reading it on paper.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 12:49 PM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't speed read. I do try to take in all of the words. I don't want to just get the meaning of the book. I want to enjoy it. I've sat here and read a book just getting entrenched in it and coming away going "OMG! that was so good".
Advert
Old 06-15-2007, 12:53 PM   #36
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I don't try to "speed read", Jon - it's just the way it happens. Literally the only way that I can make myself read a book a line at a time is to read it aloud; "page scanning" is useful on occasionals, but on balance I really, really wish that I could read line by line. I just can't do it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 01:07 PM   #37
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
People who read word for word do sometimes learn to speed-read, maybe you two just need a slow-reading course.

I'm of the read every word camp, I figure why read at all if I don't read it all? Yet, I make make it through, say the first Harry Potter book (for the 4th or 5th time) in (guesstimating here) probably 6~7 hours (spread out over ~5 days) of actual reading (I tend to re-read a series when the "next" book is coming out).
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 01:10 PM   #38
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's actually the reason why I so much enjoy listening to audiobooks, I think. There's no way to "scan" an audio book; it comes to you one line at a time and that's the way you hear it. I know that, after listening to an audiobook of a book that I've previously read on paper, I'm often surprised at all the details that I've missing when reading it on paper.
Interesting, I must try an audiobook sometime, unfortunately, I doubt I have the patience to actually sit through one, and since I don't commute, I don't have a natural time to listen to one. Don't you find the pace too slow?
Old 06-15-2007, 01:13 PM   #39
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Hmm that's not too bad Nat. Maybe we should all post how long it takes us the read the new Potter. Would be interesting to see the kind of distribution we get. My fiance and I a re planning to sit up all night and finish it ;-)
Old 06-15-2007, 01:16 PM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Interesting, I must try an audiobook sometime, unfortunately, I doubt I have the patience to actually sit through one, and since I don't commute, I don't have a natural time to listen to one. Don't you find the pace too slow?
Sometimes yes. Sometimes no. It depends on the book and where in the book it is and who is reading it. I like the Harry Potter audiobooks. Jim Dale does a good job. But one thing do not listen to an audiobook while driving. You'll either pay too much attention to the book or not enough. And neither is good. But what you can do is say load up your DAP with an audiobook and listen to it to and from work (if you take public transport).
Old 06-15-2007, 01:25 PM   #41
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Hmm that's not too bad Nat. Maybe we should all post how long it takes us the read the new Potter. Would be interesting to see the kind of distribution we get. My fiance and I a re planning to sit up all night and finish it ;-)
I like that idea, kovidgoyal, we should definitely do that on what? July 21st, isn't it?

Only problem is, I'll be moving around that time, so I won't be able to read it right away.

And the other question is, are we going to measure elapsed actual reading time, or just from Midnight on release day?
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 03:18 PM   #42
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
I hereby opt out of that survey. I have not yet read the first one so that would be what +7 years or more?
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 03:31 PM   #43
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
I like that idea, kovidgoyal, we should definitely do that on what? July 21st, isn't it?

Only problem is, I'll be moving around that time, so I won't be able to read it right away.

And the other question is, are we going to measure elapsed actual reading time, or just from Midnight on release day?
I guess it should be actual reading time since I recognize not everyone is a grad student ;-) Yeah it's the 21st.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:32 PM   #44
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
I hereby opt out of that survey. I have not yet read the first one so that would be what +7 years or more?
Now is a good time to start.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:35 PM   #45
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I thought I was the only one that hadn't read a Harry Potter book! I do admit, though, to reading a few pages, and thinking that the words felt "sweet" to read. Wasn't sure I was interested in what was actually being said. Maybe later I'll try again. But I can understand why they are popular books, if that little bit is any indication.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote