Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-23-2012, 03:40 PM   #16
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Almost forgot, Dave Bidini has written a couple of somewhat travel books.

Tropic of Hockey was quite enjoyable and I've heard good things about On a Cold Road.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:12 AM   #17
Jozawun
Fanatic
Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen 3, Pocketbook 902, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I haven't read them yet, but I put I've put:

The Snow Leopard by Peter Matthiessen, In Patagonia by Bruce Chatwin and The Grey Islands by John Steffler on my probable read lists. Two of them are on my challenge list for next year.

The Great Railway Bazaar almost made the list as well, and still might.
I tried reading The Snow Leopard years ago, but it was such incredibly hard work I gave up halfway.
It was only then that I noticed the cover blurb described it as "numinous"; serves me right, that should have been enough to set off the "Danger Will Robinson!" bells and whistles.
Jozawun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:44 PM   #18
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
^Thanks for the heads up. I don't know if numinous scares me that much. Yet.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:48 PM   #19
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I second Bruce Chatwin.
http://travel.nationalgeographic.com...06_600x450.jpg
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:30 PM   #20
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
One you may not have thought of, but that I've enjoyed reading over the years: Elspeth Huxley. She wrote other genres as well (including mystery). Unfortunately, it looks like very little of her works are available in eBook format.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:43 PM   #21
raychensmith
raychensmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raychensmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raychensmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raychensmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raychensmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raychensmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raychensmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raychensmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raychensmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raychensmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raychensmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I totally second Paul Theroux and all his travel books (Riding the Iron Rooster and Dark Star Safari seem best). I also recommended his Sir Vidia's Shadow. It's not a travel book per se, but it's about his friendship with the Nobel Prize-winning writer Naipaul, and there's a LOT of travel stuff in the book since Theroux and Naipaul meet each other in Africa, England, etc.
raychensmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:44 PM   #22
apbschmitz
Lord of Frogtown
apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Just finished Fatal Mountaineer, which is part travel, part biography of the alpinist Willi Unsoeld. Definitely worthwhile.
apbschmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:34 PM   #23
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Also, check out Evelyn Waugh's A Tourist in Africa though Amazon doesn't have it available for the Kindle, at least in the U.S.

Nancy Pearl, the author of Book Lust, has a new book about travel with recommended books for different countries and regions of the world.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:55 AM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Thanks for all the recommendations; they're very much appreciated.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:37 AM   #25
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Harry T. Here is an anthology of 18th Century travel writing I read a few years ago...and Now on a Kindle for only 3 quid or so... at Amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/Travel-Writing...hu-rd_add_1_dp
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:31 PM   #26
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I've noticed that British traveling cyclist Bettina Selby has put her (backlisted) collection out as ebooks these days. She can be a bit cranky (like Theroux), but I do recommend them highly, especially the ones outside Europe.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:56 PM   #27
BenG
Home Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
I've noticed that British traveling cyclist Bettina Selby has put her (backlisted) collection out as ebooks these days. She can be a bit cranky (like Theroux), but I do recommend them highly, especially the ones outside Europe.
Most of her books are in the Kindle Owner's Lending Library for Amazon Prime members.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:29 PM   #28
stop__dreaming
Addict
stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Almost forgot, Dave Bidini has written a couple of somewhat travel books.

Tropic of Hockey was quite enjoyable and I've heard good things about On a Cold Road.
As a massive hockey fan, thanks for the recommedations!
stop__dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:35 PM   #29
BenG
Home Guard

I came across this on Amazon. Looks interesting.
You can pre-order it for the Kindle in the UK

The Grand Tour: Letters and photographs from the British Empire Expedition 1922 by Agatha Christie

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Grand-Tour-L.../dp/000744768X
Old 12-03-2012, 08:50 AM   #30
BenBanned
Groupie
BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paper
Peter Jenkins - Walk Across America

Peter begins his trip across the US with his husky and meets a wide range of real life characters.

I often go back and the chapter about Homer the Mountain Man, that chapter is well worth the price of admission itself.
BenBanned is offline   Reply With Quote