Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-16-2012, 03:22 PM   #1
larkahn
larkahn began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3/Galaxy A31 phone/Galaxy Tab S6 Lite tablet
Adobe Acrobat and Sigil

I realize that those with money use InDesign with Sigil; however, recently, I've been experimenting on how I can, as best as possible, do some quicker dirty conversions without doing a lot of html/css code editing. After creating a document with tables in Microsoft Word, I've used Acrobat 10 (driver) inside Word to create a PDF file. I then opened the PDF in Acrobat and saved it as an html file.

Next I opened the html file in Sigil and saved it as an epub. I haven't examined the html code yet, but visually, I note that tables resize well with text that reflows inside the tables. In fact, Sigil validation found no errors. (I've also opened up some Adobe Digital Edition ebooks that don't have digital management and saved them as html files. Again, tables seem to resize well)

Has anyone done any extensive testing of using Adobe Acrobat to save PDF files as html files and then using these files in Sigil?
larkahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:25 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by larkahn View Post
Has anyone done any extensive testing of using Adobe Acrobat to save PDF files as html files and then using these files in Sigil?
This is what I do with PDF's I want to convert to ePub and it's the best method I've found for that, but I've never done it with a PDF I created on purpose. If I want to do an ePub from a Word doc I either save in Word as filtered HTML or open the word doc in Open Office and export with Writer2ePub and then in both cases work with it in Sigil.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:49 PM   #3
larkahn
larkahn began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3/Galaxy A31 phone/Galaxy Tab S6 Lite tablet
Like you, I was creating the filtered HTML with Word before, but my gut feeling is that creating the PDF with the Acrobat driver and then the HTML afterwards, a cleaner HTML file is being created without the idiosyncrasies and garbage code of Word. Right now, I'm just judging by the results, but again, I haven't really examined the code.
larkahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:52 PM   #4
mmat1
Berti
mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer Lumiread
Quote:
Originally Posted by larkahn View Post
That's a most interesting workflow. I guess you run it through Adobe to get rid of Words nasty html-style.

Somewhere in the epub-forum I've seen a word-macro from toxaris which generates a clean html-output from word. Maybe you wnat to give it a try ?
mmat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:15 PM   #5
Keroberos
Zealot
Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini (4GB), Nook Classic wi-fi, iPod Touch (Bluefire Reader)
Here's a link to Toxaris's Word macro, Unfortunately it's in Dutch, so it might not be that helpful (I'm trying to translate it, but I'm only about a quarter of the way through).

Depending on your input source, Word's html isn't that hard to clean up in Sigil. Some of the scans conversions I get from Finereader can be a pain though.

Last edited by Keroberos; 03-16-2012 at 08:18 PM.
Keroberos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:58 PM   #6
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroberos View Post
Here's a link to Toxaris's Word macro, Unfortunately it's in Dutch, so it might not be that helpful (I'm trying to translate it, but I'm only about a quarter of the way through).

Depending on your input source, Word's html isn't that hard to clean up in Sigil. Some of the scans conversions I get from Finereader can be a pain though.
There is not that much dutch in it... No problem, I will translate it tomorrow. No sweat.

*Update* I have updated all text that will displayed into English and also all of the comments.

Last edited by Toxaris; 03-17-2012 at 02:51 PM.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 04:26 PM   #7
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmat1 View Post
That's a most interesting workflow. I guess you run it through Adobe to get rid of Words nasty html-style.

Somewhere in the epub-forum I've seen a word-macro from toxaris which generates a clean html-output from word. Maybe you wnat to give it a try ?
Good God, NO.

I have AA X Pro, and of course Sigil, and every other tool in the box, and Acrobat's html output is HORRIFIC. I wouldn't use it for love or money. I'd rather export the AA to Word, and then import-export from there. I know that sounds cracked, but the html output by AA is just AWFUL. I mean, AWFUL.

Moreover, what everyone seems to be overlooking is that the underlying "junk" is still there...GIGO still works no matter how you dress it up.

We're a professional house, and while we use InDesign, we don't use it for any titles that are not going to have a print edition. It's easier and faster, honestly, to export from a Word processing program and clean up the html in an actual html editor like NoteTab Pro (it's our in-house tool of choice) than any other method we've found. INDD outputs TONS of garbage, as well, and a lot of garbage that can't be used in ePUBs and/or MOBI, either.

If you're struggling with Word, you can use that macro that guy here has--what is it called, BookCreator?--to clean up a manuscript fairly well, save it as RTF and then output it to html, and save yourself a bunch of brain-damage. It's how I rolled for a while when I was still a small shop, with 2-3 people, including me. It's a perfectly decent process, and if you use the 'tag italics" and "tag bold" and "tag X (insert style or whatever here)," and then clean all the other formatting, it works remarkably well. I wouldn't use it to actually MAKE the book--but to clean up Word to export fairly squeaky HTML, it works surprisingly well by making clever use of Word's built-in features, styles, etc.

HTH,
Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 02:28 AM   #8
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Hitch, you are so right... BTW my macro where mmat1 refers to is not the same as BookCreator. It is something I have created for myself and thought others might find it useful...
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:22 PM   #9
mmat1
Berti
mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer Lumiread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Hitch, you are so right... BTW my macro where mmat1 refers to is not the same as BookCreator. It is something I have created for myself and thought others might find it useful...
It is useful and probably comparable with BookCreator.

@Hitch: If I say that something is "interesting", then this doesn't actually mean that i want to say that it's good (IMO)
mmat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:30 AM   #10
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
I haven't used your macro, @Toxaris; I'm sure it's quite useful. (I'll go forth and look it up, though--I am always happy to have new tools in my toolkit.) We have some similar (I'd guess) macros/clips that we have in NoteTabPro. I only mentioned BookCreator because it's something I've used myself, that a relatively inexperienced user can run without too much trouble and get a reasonably decent html file. Unlike you, I'm not nice enough to give our in-house macros away. ;-)

@mmat1: Yes, sorry--I didn't mean to overreact, I just suddenly had this horrid vision of tons of newbs coming here and exporting html from XPro, and I foresaw a future of posts here in the Sigil forum saying something like..."...and then I exported my html from a PDF with Acrobat Pro (free trial, of course!), and then I ran it through Calibre, and now my TOC won't work, and all the fonts that were embedded are gone, and I don't know how to indent the first line of a paragraph..." and my brain imploded. (Of course--it could still be the fractured-foot painkillers at work, too. )

I realize that was drama-queening. Obviously, simply exporting html from Acrobat Pro won't cause the REST of that exemplar post...but if my wee fit saved ONE poor schmuck from trying to export html from Pro and make an ePUb with it, I've not lived in vain. (Okay--that WAS the fractured foot painkillers speaking--sorry, long week last week, long day today, and some loon on the KDP just makes it very hard to keep posting there to try to help poor DIY'ers--makes me cranky).

HTH,
Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote