Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 12-27-2009, 12:43 PM   #1
chough
Nameless Being

Unknown WindowsCE 5 Inch Touch Screen MID

Hi All

Please can anybody give me a steer on what this product is from Maplin, and what would be a good eReader software for it.

It seems to be a good spec for the money, but i would be keen to know if it would be a good buy,

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=286831

EDIT - I have been looking on the web and found this at Hivision, which seems identical apart from the screen resolution -

http://www.hvsco.com/ProductsView.asp?articleid=803

Could this be it??

Many thanks

Chough

Last edited by chough; 12-27-2009 at 02:04 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:23 PM   #2
Dvalin21
Zealot
Dvalin21 began at the beginning.

Device: VS Gtablet/Zenithink/GS II T-Mobile
Well I guess the first thing to ask is what are you looking for in a E-Reader. Yes it would be a good price for a hand held pc, but if your just looking for an E-Reader, you might want to look some where else. The other day I came across one called the E-1000. Check it out, it maybe what your looking for. Also, here is a site filled of MIDs if you decide to go that route as well. Hope this helps. Take care. http://www.dhgate.com/wholesale/MID/s26.html

PS: The name of the MID you mention is the A10JQ.
Dvalin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2009, 04:37 AM   #3
skyline
Enthusiast
skyline will become famous soon enoughskyline will become famous soon enoughskyline will become famous soon enoughskyline will become famous soon enoughskyline will become famous soon enoughskyline will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Dear Dvalin21 I'm really sorry to tell you that your opinion doesn't make much sense. Maplin's device is a MID and so are the ones you propose so what you 're really telling our friend @chough@ is "don't buy this MID, buy these ones instead". Why? If he is in the UK why shouldn't he try Maplin's MID? Delivery is free and there probably is a 28 day money back policy so even if he doesn't like the product he can get his money back. I mean the price is excellent, I would go for it if I didn't have the GPS. And since I mentioned it, I bought a 4.8 inch GPS from dealextreme (Chinese retailer) for 84 dollars +free delivery. Arm processor, windows CE 5.0, well.. average specs. I installed miopocket and various applications for e-book reading like mobipocket, μbook etc and although at first I didn't like it after some skin and color adjustments it is considerably better. It is not as good as a dedicated reader but it does the job and I'm very happy with it at the moment because now I can postpone the purchase of a proper 7 inch MID for whenever something really good comes out.

Last edited by skyline; 12-30-2009 at 12:48 PM.
skyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:19 PM   #4
Dvalin21
Zealot
Dvalin21 began at the beginning.

Device: VS Gtablet/Zenithink/GS II T-Mobile
@Skyline,

I left the option for MIDs open since that is what he originally was asking the opinion on. But if that was all he was going to use it for (E-books) then why not get an E-book read instead that would be cheaper. Now, the link was to give him as an idea of other MIDs if he so desired to stay that route. Also not knowing if he would prefer a 7" screen instead of a 5" screen device. But I do see your point on just getting what will work for right now for the best price. I've seen some alright 7" MIDS, but your right some betters should be coming out soon.
Dvalin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:24 AM   #5
skyline
Enthusiast
skyline will become famous soon enoughskyline will become famous soon enoughskyline will become famous soon enoughskyline will become famous soon enoughskyline will become famous soon enoughskyline will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvalin21 View Post
some betters should be coming out soon.
it looks like a plethora of reading capable devices are coming out this year, so we will have a lot to choose from. OK I should start a new thread.
skyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert