Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-30-2009, 12:28 AM   #1
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Dammit.... give us a release date! Would you....

I'm going nuts waiting to know when I'll get to read all my pdf's on my Kindle DX, without converting!

Of course, if Apple announces a tablet worth a damn at their shindig in a couple of weeks it'll be moot cause I'll be canceling that order and quickly going out to sell blood to raise money for the thing.

So assuming Apple announces a tablet (big if) and it'll be out this summer, and announcing it's essentially a giant iPod Touch and let's say most the app's stores stuff works on it like the Kindle store and Stanza, etc...

If you're planning on getting a DX, would you cancel? Trade in the joy of eInk for the enormous extendability of something like that?
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 01:23 AM   #2
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
From what I read, an Apple tablet won't be out until next year, if indeed they are making one. Even with that much lead time, I don't think the human body can produce enough blood to subsidize the purchase of such an Apple tablet
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2009, 01:50 AM   #3
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I like eInk so I doubt I'd cancel. However, I do like the concept of an iTablet, but more as a netbook replacement than a Kindle DX replacement. And I too want a release date for the DX.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 02:35 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I wouldn't count on it being until close to the end of the year, if Amazon are planning to use the next-generation flexible screens. They may decide to release early DXs with glass screens, but that would be a big risk, I think, for a machine which seems to be targetted largely at the educational market.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 02:38 AM   #5
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Is there any reason to think they'd be using the flexible screens? Aside from common sense, at least...
Advert
Old 05-30-2009, 02:44 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Only that all the other manufacturers who were planning to release 9.7" devices have held off, awaiting the flexible screens, on the basis that a glass screen that large would be extremely prone to breakage. Look at the Hanlin V9, for example: announced (and demonstrated) in January 2008 (yes, 2008!), but still not released, because the screens aren't available yet.

9.7" screens - even glass ones - are only currently available in demonstration quantities; PVI aren't currently mass producing them, so really it's out of Amazon's hands. They can't release machines until the screens are available.

The fact, though, that Amazon have announced a very restricted pilot programme for the DX for the "summer" makes me think that it's extremely unlikely we'll see large-scale shipments significantly before the end of the year, but only time will tell.
Old 05-30-2009, 02:57 AM   #7
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
I'm not getting a DX as any larger screen device I by for PDFs would have to:

1: Have a large touch screen so I can jot notes quickly and easily like I can on print outs.

2: Be a multifunction device as I'm fine with printouts and would by a dedicated reader to to read and mark them up electronically.

I'm fine with LCD or LED screens for such a device as I'd never be reading on it for long stretches as I'd keep my Kindle for novel reading.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 03:06 AM   #8
Gideon
Wearer of Pants

So you think amazon's summer claims are hooey?
Old 05-30-2009, 03:15 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

What is it that Amazon have actually said? They've announced that there will be a "pilot" at a number of universities this summer. Have they announced a "general" release date?
Old 05-30-2009, 04:47 AM   #10
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
well they said summer, that's atleast 20 days away.

and half of summer would be about August first.

I am sure they will start shipping by atleast August 10, but I have a feeling amazon would start shipping a whole lot sooner

(reason for August 10 latest, is cause colleges start aug 20th about, and anyone who preorders expecting it before college would be in an uproar over it)
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 09:07 AM   #11
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What is it that Amazon have actually said? They've announced that there will be a "pilot" at a number of universities this summer. Have they announced a "general" release date?
HarryT, I've corrected you on this before. The "general" release date *is* "summer". The "pilot program" has to do with providing the device to certain universities for students to replace textbooks; it is not linked to the release in any way.

"Pre-order Kindle DX today
Kindle DX will be released this summer. Pre-order Kindle DX now to RESERVE YOUR PLACE IN LINE. We prioritize orders on a first come, first served basis, and we will notify you via e-mail when we have an estimated delivery date."
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 09:25 AM   #12
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Just to add fuel to the fire, someone on the Amazon forums reported that a customer service rep told them unofficially the release date was July 6th. Gary, a well-known Amazon forum liar and troll, is reporting June 22nd (the first day of summer).
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 11:01 AM   #13
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
I'm going nuts waiting to know when I'll get to read all my pdf's on my Kindle DX, without converting!

Of course, if Apple announces a tablet worth a damn at their shindig in a couple of weeks it'll be moot cause I'll be canceling that order and quickly going out to sell blood to raise money for the thing.

So assuming Apple announces a tablet (big if) and it'll be out this summer, and announcing it's essentially a giant iPod Touch and let's say most the app's stores stuff works on it like the Kindle store and Stanza, etc...

If you're planning on getting a DX, would you cancel? Trade in the joy of eInk for the enormous extendability of something like that?
Can't remember where (I think CNN Business/Money) - but I did read an article last week stating that Apple had announced 2010 as the earliest launch for their tablet, and that Amazon rushed its DX announcement to lure people into pre-orders - anything definite in 2009 beat a promise in 2010. And to establish a pricing point for Apple to deal with.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 11:05 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
HarryT, I've corrected you on this before. The "general" release date *is* "summer". The "pilot program" has to do with providing the device to certain universities for students to replace textbooks; it is not linked to the release in any way.

"Pre-order Kindle DX today
Kindle DX will be released this summer. Pre-order Kindle DX now to RESERVE YOUR PLACE IN LINE. We prioritize orders on a first come, first served basis, and we will notify you via e-mail when we have an estimated delivery date."
Thanks for that, sirbruce. We'll just have to wait and see, in that case. Personally I remain skeptical that the screens will be available by then, but let's hope that I'm wrong.
Old 05-30-2009, 02:05 PM   #15
katysax
Enthusiast
katysax doesn't litterkatysax doesn't litterkatysax doesn't litter

Device: Kindle2, Kindle DX, prs 505
An Apple tablet that would be like an iphone or ipod touch but larger would be a very cool device, but for me it would not be acceptable as an ebook reader. I do find it easier to read on a tablet than a regular PC screen, but it still isn't good enough. I love my tablet PC, but anything I want to read with concentration over a period of time goes on my Kindle, even legal documents and software manuals.

I signed up for the DX the first minute that I saw it announced, and it is hard to wait for it.
katysax is offline   Reply With Quote