Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-07-2008, 04:02 PM   #1
bmwvan
Connoisseur
bmwvan is on a distinguished road

Device: hp iPAQ 4700/Fictionwise reader/Sony 505
Supernatural soup

OK, not soup, but series that include vampires, werewolves, etc. in their casts of characters. My wife and I read Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake and Merry Gentry, Charlaine Harris' Harper Connelly and Sookie Stackhouse, most all of MaryJanice Davidson's stuff, and Kim Harrison's Rachel Morgan series. Some of these have more explicit sex than what was called "dirty books" when I was growing up, but I guess are "erotic fantasy" today. Anyway, they are all good fun from my point of view. We usually get our books from Fictionwise, or Mobipocket and trade chips back and forth as we work our way through our favorites.

Is this a guilty pleasure we enjoy alone, or do others of you share our interests?

Van in Mississippi

PS We met Kim Harrison at a book signing a couple of weeks ago, and she was SO very nice! Guys, check her out; her books rock and she is very, very pretty!
bmwvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 04:24 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Hi Van,

Love Kim Harrison (her's is the supernatural world I would live in if I had to make a choice... love the living vampire concept... Kisten ).

Love Charlaine Harris. Sookie is a great character. Just finished the Harper Connelly trio and am ready for more. Haven't tried the Shakespear books yet.

Loved LKH before she got the arduer and messed up the Anita Blake series. I'll start reading Blood Noir tomorrow but I'm not looking forward to it.

I've downloaded some samples from Davidson but haven't had a chance to read them (so many books, a good amount of time but so many books).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2008, 06:11 AM   #3
IceHand
Linux User
IceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3
Kim Harrison's The Hollows series was so-so, I've read the first two books before I stopped.

However I really like Carrie Vaughn's Kitty series and Stephenie Meyer's Twilight series. Both have likeable and believable characters and interesting stories.

William Mark Simmons' books (available from Baen) have a twist to the supernatural story and are very funny. I enjoyed all four books, book two has some boring parts though as far as I remember.
IceHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 09:07 AM   #4
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
I don't specifically seek out such books, but I rather liked Wen Spencer's Tinker.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 09:13 AM   #5
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I do not know how they differ to the above, or even if they do at all, but I've read Bloodsucking Fiends by Christopher Moore, and I understand there is a sequel, You Suck: A Love Story. I've read the former, and enjoyed it, but not quite enough to buy the latter or yet any other book by Moore.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2008, 10:24 AM   #6
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
Kelley Armstrong's "Women of the Otherworld" series falls into the "supernatural soup" (what a great term!) category too. The books follow a number of characters, with different ones starring in various books. They're rather fun.

Rachel Caine's Weather Warden series is not quite a classic supernatural soup, but people who enjoy the other series mentioned here would probably like it.
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 12:00 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
I don't specifically seek out such books, but I rather liked Wen Spencer's Tinker.
Very good book. The sequel is great too. Although I wouldn't really call them Supernatural, more a SciFi/Fantasy combo IMO.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 09:21 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHand View Post
Kim Harrison's The Hollows series was so-so, I've read the first two books before I stopped.
I've read Kim's first two books and I rather enjoyed them. Looking forward to eventually reading the third.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:26 AM   #9
etitameh
Enthusiast
etitameh doesn't litteretitameh doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
i love laurell k hamilton, both pre- and post- ardeur (i count merry gentry as post-ardeur, lol) though i realize it was a substantial departure from what a lot of readers enjoyed... that said, i've recently fallen into sherrilyn kenyon's dark-hunter series as well. i'm really really enjoying it, but it's far more like post-ardeur LKH than pre-, so some readers might not like it as much. sounds like it could be right up the thread starter's alley, tho!

there's a separate thread in this forum with a reading order for it that would help you decide where to start if you'd like to try it out. also, as mentioned in that post, you can currently download one of the later books in the series for free (from various sites, i think, but definitely from the author's current hype site, http://www.yearofacheron.com/ebook.html) to check her out.

EDIT: forgot to mention, i've also read a couple of books from christine feehan's carpathian series, and enjoyed them, but haven't gone to the effort of tracking down more of them, especially in ebook format. again, they're heavy on the erotica and romance angle, but fun.

Last edited by etitameh; 07-08-2008 at 10:34 AM.
etitameh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 01:34 PM   #10
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Ditto what etitameh said. I was going to point you to Sherrilyn Kenyon's series. Very much along these lines. Here's the posting with the reading order (and the link to the author's web site).
Yummy series; very heavy on the "steamy sex" scenes, as mentioned above.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 06:51 AM   #11
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Another recomendation for Kelley Armstrong!

The best author at the moment out of those listed above( I do enjoy them all)

As mentioned Anita Blake stuff was good but is getting a bit pointless now everything is solved by having an orgy!
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 11:07 AM   #12
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony Reader PRS500, PocketBook 360
Totally *loved* The Hollows series!
grimo1re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:45 PM   #13
MoSo
Crankier than average
MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle #1, Kindle #2; internet appliance - The Chumby.
Second the recommendations for Kelley Armstrong.

Books I like:

Kat Richardson's Greywalker series (2 out; the third one coming soon)
Patricia Brigg's Mercy Thompson novels.
Kate Daniels' series about magic - although the first novel is uneven, the second is quite a bit better.
Jim Butcher's Dresden books (although I like his fantasy series, Codex Alera, better).
Charlaine Harris series other than Sookie Stackhouse, which I can't remember: brother and sister, she finds dead people, name is....
A. Lee Martinez's Gil's All Fright Diner and Nameless Witch

Last edited by MoSo; 07-15-2008 at 07:54 PM. Reason: oh, for a memory that worked, or my Kindle with a list on it nearby....
MoSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:33 PM   #14
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoSo View Post
Charlaine Harris series other than Sookie Stackhouse, which I can't remember: brother and sister, she finds dead people, name is....
Harper Connelly: Grave Surprise, An Ice Cold Grave, Grave Shift
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 07:04 AM   #15
Surfergirl
Enthusiast
Surfergirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Surfergirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Surfergirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505 (Blue)/PRS-505 (Red)/iPhone 3GS
You could also try the Argeneau Family books by Lynsay Sands - they're lots of fun (and another secret addiction of mine!). Start with "A Quick Bite" - it wasn't the first one published, but it's the first one in the series.
Surfergirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duck!