Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 02-15-2008, 05:21 AM   #1
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Good HTML Editor

Can you guys ( & gals) recommend me a good html editor. Preferably lightweight and free/OS (since I only need to edit ebooks, not design websites). It doesn't have to be WYSIWYG, but I do need good find & replace capabilties.

I tried looking at the net myself. There is also a very nice wikipedia article comparing different programs, but with the myriad programs available I got a little lost. So what do you use/recommend?
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 06:04 AM   #2
Jaapjan
Avid reader
Jaapjan doesn't litterJaapjan doesn't litter

Device: HTC Touch Diamond, iLiad Book Edition
Doesn't an ordinary text editor suffice for the needs you describe? Have one window with the ebook/html and one with the browser. Press F5 whenever you change something.
Jaapjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2008, 06:10 AM   #3
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Not really. Because I want syntax highlighting as well as the ability to easily creat TOC and such. Also I'm afraid that good (free) text editor are scarce as well (Notepad doesn't count).
Old 02-15-2008, 06:26 AM   #4
Jaapjan
Avid reader
Jaapjan doesn't litterJaapjan doesn't litter

Device: HTC Touch Diamond, iLiad Book Edition
I am very fond of UltraEdit myself but it isn't free.

Still, a short search in Google does yield some syntax highlighting editors. Alternatively you might see if Nvu is something for you.
Jaapjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 06:32 AM   #5
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Well, vim is an excellent text editor, that supports syntax highlighting.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2008, 06:37 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I use "Progammer's File Editor" (PFE). No syntax highlighting, but excellent search and replace facilities, and handles large (MB) files very well. It's free.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 06:45 AM   #7
IceHand
Linux User
IceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3
Try KompoZer, it's a WYSIWYG editor and a html editor (Open Source).
I myself am a fan of Bluefish, but I'm afraid it's Linux/MacOSX only.
IceHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 06:54 AM   #8
Dave Berk
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaapjan View Post
I am very fond of UltraEdit myself but it isn't free.

Still, a short search in Google does yield some syntax highlighting editors. Alternatively you might see if Nvu is something for you.
I Prefer an edtior that can handle html natively. Meaning the editor will do most of the work regarding placement and such and I will fine tune the code afterwords. Still I looked at Nvu (well actually KOMPOZER, because they said Nvu is discontinued and KOMPOZER is Nvu with bug fixes) and it seems very good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien
Well, vim is an excellent text editor, that supports syntax highlighting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
I use "Progammer's File Editor" (PFE). No syntax highlighting, but excellent search and replace facilities, and handles large (MB) files very well. It's free.
Thanks for all the suggestions. I don't know if there is Vim for windows, and anyway I found out that while I'm not adverse to writing code, I much prefer to have my work cut out for me, meaning WISIWYG .

Edit: Didn't see IceHand post. Yes, That's what I am going with. Thanks.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:42 AM   #9
Gudy
Wizard
Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux (623)
Quote:
Originally Posted by simple dave View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions. I don't know if there is Vim for windows, and anyway I found out that while I'm not adverse to writing code, I much prefer to have my work cut out for me, meaning WISIWYG .
Vim is indeed available for Windows. I install it on just about any computer that I'm going to use with any regularity.

Also, I don't know how good it is, but Mozilla Seamonkey comes with a Composer that, I believe, is WYSIWYG, and that certainly is FOSS.
Gudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 10:11 AM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by simple dave View Post
Not really. Because I want syntax highlighting as well as the ability to easily creat TOC and such. Also I'm afraid that good (free) text editor are scarce as well (Notepad doesn't count).
Notepad++ does syntax highlighting but does not automatically create a TOC. I use either Notepad++ or emacs on my windows machines (emacs when I need a powerful search and replace). For true WYSIWYG I use Framemaker but it is certainly not free. Seamonkey composer is quick and easy but it changes things more that I would like as does WORD and some other converters.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 10:31 AM   #11
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
I use TextPad - the text editor for Windows that can be found at http://www.textpad.com/.

It has a free trial period so that you can evaluate it, but then requires payment.

It has regular expression search & replace, multiple files at once editing, HTML syntax highlighting, Unix/PC <LF><CR> handling and more ...

-Nick
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 03:38 PM   #12
jbenny
Addict
jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Tablet PC and Nokia N800
I was going to also recommend Notepad++, but Dale beat me to it. Another editor that is even more customized for HTML is HTML-Kit.
jbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 04:04 PM   #13
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I use Notetab Pro.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 05:57 PM   #14
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I use Adobe GoLive (WYSIWYG) and UltraEdit for source code. (Both are not free.) They are both excellent products.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 07:33 PM   #15
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
SeaMonkey!

It's the old Mozilla suite. Browser, editor, e-mail client and newsreader in one.

The WYSIWYG editor is great. It's how my son (at age 10) started coding HTML. He's since graduated to professional tools.

Free from Mozilla.org.

Last edited by curtw; 02-16-2008 at 07:37 PM.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
editor, emeditor, html editor, notepad, notepad plus, ultraedit