yep 43 66.15%
nope 8 12.31%
who? 5 7.69%
option 4 9 13.85%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-22-2012, 09:52 PM   #31
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanSteve View Post
Reacher, a great character reminds me of Clint Eastwood without a gun
"Without a gun"??? They both seem have a penchant for Really Big Guns.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:26 PM   #32
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
But Clint's characters tend to walk around packing heat. Reacher obtains firepower as needed but otherwise walks around unarmed (though still dangerous, lol).
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:03 PM   #33
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
But Clint's characters tend to walk around packing heat. Reacher obtains firepower as needed but otherwise walks around unarmed (though still dangerous, lol).
Yes, but he's only "without a gun" in the same sense as he's without a car and without a suitcase. He simply travels light. As opposed to, say, Batman or MacGyver, who expressly choose to not use guns.

Speaking of the suitcase thing, was any one else a bit skeeved out by the fact that in the first book, Killing Floor:

Spoiler:
For about 4 days, Reacher was on the road, bumming around, walking for miles, in jail, and sleeping with the girl, all without ever changing clothes--even underwear?

I would have ignored it as an unmentioned detail, but AFTER the first few days, AFTER he sleeps with the girl, Child goes into some detail about Reacher's clothes-buying and laundry habits.

Eew.

ApK

Last edited by ApK; 08-24-2012 at 02:09 PM.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:10 PM   #34
hard-boiled pat
The Night Was Moist
hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo,kindle,supernova, playbook
yeah the no suitcase thing is a bit weird, but having to always go back for his luggage seems cumbersome.
hard-boiled pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:57 PM   #35
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Same here. My wife turned me on to the Reacher books because she heard that the weapons and tactics were so detailed and accurate.

I admire that even when Child is wrong, Reacher says it with such earnest confidence and authority that I'm willing to suspend disbelief.
Is it bad form to quote myself? Any the who, I just started listening to the second book, "Die Trying." Within the first few minutes the following things happen:

1. Reacher notices that the automatic that's being pointed at him has its safety off.
2. Reacher recognizes the gun as a Glock 17, a weapon he knows well.

The gun folks among us will immediately see what's wrong there.

I can only assume that whoever passed the info to my wife about Child's gun stuff being accurate was someone who was fooled by his level of detail. The "Dan Brown effect," as I like to call it.

Still enjoying the book, though. :-)

ApK

Last edited by ApK; 09-26-2012 at 08:24 AM.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:44 PM   #36
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Is it bad form to quote myself? Any the who, I just started listening to the second book, "Die Trying." Within the first few minutes the following things happen:

1. Reacher notices that the automatic that's being pointed at him has it's safety off.
2. Reacher recognizes the gun as a Glock 17, a weapon he knows well.

The gun folks among us will immediately see what's wrong there.

I can only assume that whoever passed the info to my wife about Child's gun stuff being accurate was someone who was fooled by his level of detail. The "Dan Brown effect," as I like to call it.

Still enjoying the book, though. :-)

ApK
Maybe the guy did not have his finger on the trigger.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:44 PM   #37
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Maybe the guy did not have his finger on the trigger.
Apache
It reminded me of that old James Bond movie, where after the girl cannot get the revolver to fire, he takes it out of her hand and says "you had the safety on!"

ApK
Old 09-20-2012, 07:01 PM   #38
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Well, a S&W revolver COULD have a Muribito safety (probably not back then though). And there really exists a Glock 17 with a separate safety (shown at a 2009 firearms expo) though the rumors of the Tasmanian police using it are denied.

This is the problem with niche expert readers. I'd e-mailed Robert Ludlum before over rare errors in his books, both weapons and cars.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:30 PM   #39
hard-boiled pat
The Night Was Moist
hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo,kindle,supernova, playbook
grammar nazi anyone?
hard-boiled pat is offline   Reply With Quote