Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 06-15-2012, 03:06 PM   #16
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
I agree that passageway seems most appropriate. We use "jitty" here in the Midlands, but in our case it refers to a narrow unpaved lane, so there could be confusion in the wider world if you called it that.
That's called a ginnell here, but I've also heard it called a lonnin. I think I'll probably go with passageway, that seems to be the most multilingual.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:01 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Here in the UK, I do not believe that such a passageway would ever be called a Mews.
Definitely not. A Mews is a narrow street around the back of, or at the side of, a street or large house, originally used to stable the horses owned by the occupants of the nearby houses. These days, the stables have almost all been converted into garages.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:48 AM   #18
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
http://i48.tinypic.com/29atw1z.jpg

It's the arch-shaped hole between 2 adjacent terraced houses that leads into the back gardens. It's private property (shared by the 2 houses), so alleyway or ginnel doesn't seem to fit.
You are making it too hard.
It is just an alley entrance to the back and whatever is there.

Up in the Northeast in the USA it is common for houses on narrow lots, but usually only in the suburban areas are they open or with a gate. In the cities, they would be locked or usually bricked or walled off from the outside for security.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 02:15 PM   #19
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Definitely not. A Mews is a narrow street around the back of, or at the side of, a street or large house, originally used to stable the horses owned by the occupants of the nearby houses. These days, the stables have almost all been converted into garages.
Those are common in New Orleans, where they are called alleys. They are paved with small bleached shells instead of gravel.
GA Russell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 04:56 PM   #20
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Those are common in New Orleans, where they are called alleys. They are paved with small bleached shells instead of gravel.
I recall the nicer ones in NO, Charleston, Savannah and other similar places to have nice tall ornate iron gates that can be locked with modern cylinder locks that have been welded into the old iron.

The less expensive method is just to use a chain and a padlock, though I have actually seen Kryponite bike locks on a few. This is not only to prevent burglaries but to keep the drunks, prostitutes and homeless out as well.

I have been in many a Port City, and they really need locks on their gutters as well to keep the drunks from ending up in them.

What is it about a Port City? Surely not the sailors.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:09 PM   #21
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
[QUOTE=SeaKing;2117889The less expensive method is just to use a chain and a padlock, though I have actually seen Kryponite bike locks on a few. This is not only to prevent burglaries but to keep the drunks, prostitutes and homeless out as well.[/QUOTE]
That's also how most farmers keep their gates locked, in case anyone was wondering. Push the gate closed, wrap a chain thru it around the gate post, and run a padlock thru it.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:10 PM   #22
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's a shame about the stables being converted into garages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
What is it about a Port City? Surely not the sailors.
Surely not!

mr ploppy, why not embed your pictures?

frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 01:29 AM   #23
Edward M. Grant
Zealot
Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Asus Transformer
My parents' house had one like that when I was growing up in the UK and we just called it 'the passage'. It ran up the side of our house to give access to the gardens behind our house and the neighbours' and we mostly used it for keeping our bikes out of the rain when we were kids.
Edward M. Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:02 PM   #24
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I live in a Victorian terrace which has one to access the gardens. I call it the alleyway; but it's slightly different to the one in your pic in that my garden access is open to the sky, rather than arched. I'm not sure if being sky-open makes a difference to the term, but 'alleyway' does sound more like it's between two walls rather than enclosed.

Passageway, with some description, seems more likely, though does have unfortunate connotations.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:23 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Passageway, with some description, seems more likely, though does have unfortunate connotations.
Perhaps you could call it the "back passage" instead.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:13 PM   #26
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
I'd call it a ginnel, but I think it's just a northern term.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 02:17 PM   #27
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
ploppy, with all the answers here it occurs to me that the correct answer for your novel would be the term the locals use in the setting of your story. Sound reasonable?
GA Russell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 03:12 PM   #28
SeaKing
Frequent Flier

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
ploppy, with all the answers here it occurs to me that the correct answer for your novel would be the term the locals use in the setting of your story. Sound reasonable?
Gee. Some mysterious lady invoked the "r" word.