Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-21-2012, 08:31 AM   #1
pan.sapiens
pan.sapiens began at the beginning.

Device: none
solution for reading .pdfs, .djvus and .tiffs?

Probably this has been asked before, but a quick search did not seem to help, so...

My kindle is great for novels and such, but I have lots of .pdfs, .djvus and .tiffs, mostly all just scans (i.e. images of pages). Also I am kinda poor . What is the best CHEAP solution for reading such formats? I don't mean "what devices can handle these formats" (e.g. my kindle does .pdf very badly), but rather "what do people find useful for dealing with these formats", so solutions involving file-format conversion are OK if that is the only option.

If anyone could let me know what they are using, and what their experiences are (pros/cons) that would be super-cool . Extra points for solutions that don't break the bank!
pan.sapiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:04 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Standard recommendation for PDFs are that you need a tablet. You can get pretty reasonable tablets these days at moderate prices, but avoid the very cheap ones; they're a waste of money.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:33 AM   #3
pan.sapiens
pan.sapiens began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Standard recommendation for PDFs are that you need a tablet. You can get pretty reasonable tablets these days at moderate prices, but avoid the very cheap ones; they're a waste of money.
OK, cool, that makes sense, thanks! Any suggestions for a good cheapie with a decent sized screen then (bearing in mind I don't need to run resource intensive stuff like games etc.)? Is there any good software for .tiff, djvu, etc. e.g. something like evince but on android?
pan.sapiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:50 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There are a number of nice tablets available in the $200-$250 price range, if that's within your budget. The new Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 looks like an excellent device.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:32 PM   #5
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505, KDXG
try kpdfviewer from the kindle developer's section first
eLiNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 04:26 PM   #6
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There are a number of nice tablets available in the $200-$250 price range, if that's within your budget. The new Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 looks like an excellent device.
For large PDFs, it's really better to get a 10" tablet. You can find refurbs for $200~250. I've got pretty good near vision and I still had to constantly pan and zoom on the 7" Nook Color when reading PDFs.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap ereader, djvu, pdf, tiff