Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-28-2010, 04:08 PM   #16
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfog View Post
Yes, DR1000 has zoom and scroll, but sometimes is so slow that is unusable. ...
I cannot read SCIAM in portrait without margins. In landscape it is more comfortable and readable, but then you need to be moving around the page with the slow screen. And it's bw!
Thanks again, rfog.

I was thinking maybe 10.5" would be big enough for reading regular size PDFs in portrait mode and without scrolling, but it seems the minimum screen size should be about 11", then.

Now my hope is that Google's screen is this large, or that the Adam's 11.2" Pixel Q screen is good enough in real life.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 04:28 PM   #17
cmdahler
Addict
cmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
The other issue with the iPad is its lower dpi. The various eInk readers all have around 150 to 170 dpi, but the iPad has 132 dpi. This is a lot less than the 163 dpi on the iPhone, and it's a noticeable drawback when reading small print. Don't get me wrong, it's not unreadable by any means, and I find that reading SCIAM on the iPad to be quite acceptable without zooming at all. It would sure be nice if someone, anyone, would make a device for mimicking print that had a serious 300 dpi or so.
cmdahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2010, 01:28 AM   #18
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdahler View Post
The other issue with the iPad is its lower dpi. The various eInk readers all have around 150 to 170 dpi, but the iPad has 132 dpi. This is a lot less than the 163 dpi on the iPhone, and it's a noticeable drawback when reading small print. Don't get me wrong, it's not unreadable by any means, and I find that reading SCIAM on the iPad to be quite acceptable without zooming at all. It would sure be nice if someone, anyone, would make a device for mimicking print that had a serious 300 dpi or so.
however, in return for the lower DPI, you get a higher contrast. white is really white, black is extreme black
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 07:33 AM   #19
cmdahler
Addict
cmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Yes, that's certainly true, but I'd argue that the higher contrast only makes the lower DPI more obvious. eInk tends to be a little fuzzy around the edges just by the nature of the technology, which adds a natural bit of smoothing to everything and makes the print look similar to a sort of poorly printed paperback. The LCD of the iPad, though, with its lower DPI but yet vastly higher contrast ratio, makes small print more obviously jagged to me. Both techs have their drawbacks, but the ultimate conclusion I can make is that while the LCD on the iPad is certainly acceptable to me for reading a book, it doesn't look at all like print, whereas eInk does sort of resemble a poorly printed book on faded gray paper. Now, if eInk could ever get their DPI up to around 250 to 300 along with the already-claimed higher contrast ratio of 12:1 of their next generation coming out next year, then you'd have something that would almost be indistinguishable from the printed page. Sometime in the next 5 years or so, I could see this happening. At the moment, I prefer reading on the iPad even with the lower DPI of its screen because the washed out gray-on-gray of the current generation of eInk was never very satisfying to me.
cmdahler is offline   Reply With Quote