Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 12-03-2009, 05:18 AM   #1
lecteur9
lecteur9 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Directionality, font-embedding and ADE

Hi all,

How can I get ADE to display my Hebrew text correctly?

I created a very basic epub, with embedded font and Epubcheck-ed it.

It looks very nice on Calibre. On Sigil, and FBR Reader, the font changes to the standard font (Arial I think), but otherwise it also looks fine. On Mobipocket the text is displayed left to right, and there's no image. I didn't check it on any device.

On ADE (my main focus at the moment), I get only ???? AND the directionality is wrong (left to right).

I attach the epub. Your comments will be appreciated.
Attached Files
File Type: epub epub heb test.epub (64.5 KB, 515 views)
lecteur9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 05:47 AM   #2
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
interesting you have Hebrew script in the contents window...

i don't know enough to offer any definitive advice, other than perhaps adding appropriate fonts into your style sheet.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2009, 06:20 AM   #3
lecteur9

Directionality, font-embedding and ADE

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post

Thanks, GeoffC ..

>interesting you have Hebrew script in the contents window...

Yes :-) I wish the text would be in Hebrew as well. I wonder why it works only in the TOC...

>i don't know enough to offer any definitive advice, other than perhaps adding appropriate fonts into your style sheet.
I assume you mean adding Calibre's Liberation font variants? (it was mentioned in another thread...). I'll try that (thanks!).
Old 12-04-2009, 04:42 AM   #4
lecteur9

Another version of the file

I replaced the previous font with 4 variants of the Liberation font and created another version of the file. As you can see, it still doesn't work.

I added a paragraph in English (to check if ADE accepts THAT, and it did),
and I checked the file with two additional readers: Bookworm and the Firefox add-on - and it looks OK.

What do I do about ADE? Does anybody have additional suggestions? Maybe there are other fonts I can use, or something else I haven't thought of...

Has anybody solved that particular ADE problem yet?

In general, I'd appreciate further leads that might help me solve it.

Sarah
Attached Files
File Type: epub hebtest.epub (419.9 KB, 363 views)
Old 12-04-2009, 04:55 AM   #5
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Have you looked here ? (esp. last link)

http://blogs.adobe.com/digitaleditio...sign-epub.html
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30512
http://blog.threepress.org/2009/09/1...in-epub-files/
Advert
Old 12-04-2009, 04:56 AM   #6
GeoffC

Otherwise just accept the limits of ADE ! It seems to have its own quirks about ePub....
Old 12-04-2009, 06:26 AM   #7
lecteur9

Not ready to give up yet ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Otherwise just accept the limits of ADE ! It seems to have its own quirks about ePub....
GeoffC, Hi,

Thanks for the links. I more or less followed the guidelines regarding fonts published on the Threepress blog. I haven't tried the Indesign option (I don't have the software) - and there's no proof that it'll solve my particular problem (I'll have to find that out). Like it or not - ADE is one of the major software readers, and I wouldn't like to give it up yet.

But thanks :-) for the pointers and your kind comments.

Sarah