Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-21-2012, 02:04 PM   #136
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenn1 View Post
I thought they felt like they weighed the same but I agree the black 'felt' better. After using it for two days I am really impressed. I don't have to face close to my lamp in bed to read and the page turning seems smoother. I struggled to not drop the previous one when I tried to read and turn with one hand.
That was me too! I was always dropping the K4S because of the back and stiff buttons. The K4B buttons are so much easier to click while holding it one hand. Just a little push just like it was with the K3.

I agree I read on both K4s still but the K4B is a nicer reading experience.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:21 AM   #137
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
The K4B buttons are so much easier to click while holding it one hand.
Is the 5-way controller the same as on the KK? I'm thinking of supplementing my aging Sony PRS-300 with a K4B and have had a play on a friend's KK, but found the 5-way controller a bit-fiddly to use.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2012, 09:08 AM   #138
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agama View Post
Is the 5-way controller the same as on the KK? I'm thinking of supplementing my aging Sony PRS-300 with a K4B and have had a play on a friend's KK, but found the 5-way controller a bit-fiddly to use.
It's the same 5-way controller, but it's located in the center. The menu, back, and home buttons are also located in different positions.
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:08 PM   #139
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agama View Post
It's much easier to use on the K4 due to being moved to the middle. For me it's like a game controller. I just hold it at the bottom and use my thumbs to navigate.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:48 AM   #140
David58117
Groupie
David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, K4NT (To Wife), Nook ST, NSTG
Just bought the new black kindle as well - the screen is definitely more white than on my wife's silver version. It's not just the bezel as its noticeable when they're both covered.

Really impressed by the contrast, hope the paperwhite is similar when it gets here next week.
David58117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2012, 06:02 AM   #141
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
Quote:
It's much easier to use on the K4 due to being moved to the middle.
That should help. I guess for the price that I can't really go wrong. I've avoided Kindles so far because of the lack of ePub support, but with the introduction of AZW3 format a Kindle is now very tempting.

I'll try to get a hands-on in a shop. If I still don't like the controller then I'll get a Sony PRS-T2 instead.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:58 PM   #142
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by David58117 View Post
Just bought the new black kindle as well - the screen is definitely more white than on my wife's silver version. It's not just the bezel as its noticeable when they're both covered.

Really impressed by the contrast, hope the paperwhite is similar when it gets here next week.
She's gonna want yours so you may as well buy her one now.
The contrast I think on the PW will be just like the K4B when the light is off. I would say better but K4B contrast is amazing. I don't think you can go any blacker now. The background is perfect now for me. Any lighter without a light would just look weird.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:55 PM   #143
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
The background is perfect now for me.
After all your woes with the original K4 and trying to get a 'good' screen, great to see you so happy right from the start with your new one.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:42 PM   #144
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
Quote:
Yeah it's still amazes me every time I turn it on and look at that near white screen. You got people coming in here trying to argue who never even seen one but once you have seen both versions there no question that Amazon fixed something and it wasn't the fonts.
I just got my K4B today and the difference in screens is obvious. I put the two K4s side by side and there's no doubt that the K4B has a lighter, sharper screen.
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:27 PM   #145
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by voracious71 View Post
I just got my K4B today and the difference in screens is obvious. I put the two K4s side by side and there's no doubt that the K4B has a lighter, sharper screen.
Congrats on your new Kindle!
Old 09-29-2012, 03:49 PM   #146
Martyd
Zealot
Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard,nexus 7,Kindle Voyage
I was pressed for time but ran into a Staples that was listed as having stock for the new Kindle. Interesting thing was although there were two signs out for the two Kindles, silver and black, only the silver had a demo unit. The price on the silver was $69 and said clearance. I'm thinking I won't see a demo black until all of the silvers are gone. Maybe the screens are so different they can't be placed side by side or they want to clear the silvers first. The wait continues.
Martyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:57 PM   #147
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyd View Post
I was pressed for time but ran into a Staples that was listed as having stock for the new Kindle. Interesting thing was although there were two signs out for the two Kindles, silver and black, only the silver had a demo unit. The price on the silver was $69 and said clearance. I'm thinking I won't see a demo black until all of the silvers are gone. Maybe the screens are so different they can't be placed side by side or they want to clear the silvers first. The wait continues.
That could be it. Putting them side by side you notice a huge difference. Best Buy should have a demo unit.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:51 PM   #148
Martyd
Zealot
Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard,nexus 7,Kindle Voyage
Well Blossom, I bought a new Kindle at Staples and it is everything you say. The screen is much better than my silver. I like everything about my silver except the screen and now that is fixed. I bought the silver at Walmart when they had the $30 gift card offer so I don't feel too bad retiring the silver. I have a picture that I hope will show the difference in screens.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0915 (800x600).jpg
Views:	287
Size:	226.2 KB
ID:	93158  
Martyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:07 PM   #149
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Well Blossom, I bought a new Kindle at Staples and it is everything you say. The screen is much better than my silver. I like everything about my silver except the screen and now that is fixed. I bought the silver at Walmart when they had the $30 gift card offer so I don't feel too bad retiring the silver. I have a picture that I hope will show the difference in screens.
Congrats on your new Kindle!
Old 10-01-2012, 01:07 PM   #150
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
The price on the silver was $69 and said clearance.
They should lower the price to $49. $10 off is not much of a discount; let alone a clearance price.
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote