Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-11-2011, 11:32 AM   #1
ReneeMR
ReneeMR began at the beginning.

Device: HTC Inspire
Smartphone: ADE DRM & WMA DRM ???

I'm in the market for a new smartphone, and would love one that does it all, including compatibility with Overdrive for both ADE DRM & WMA DRM. I also want the phone to have a "hard" keyboard (is that what they're called? I don't like touchscreen keyboards, so the iPhone is out).

I've checked the Overdrive website; they show nothing but the iPhone . . . hoping there's a happy solution for me.

~Renee
ReneeMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 12:47 PM   #2
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
Do you have a cell phone provider in mind or just whoever has your phone?
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2011, 12:53 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I'm not aware of any platform with an Overdrive app that supports both, unless there's a Windows Phone version available.

The Android app allows ADE DRM and MP3 Audiobooks, but not WMA same ad the iThing apps.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 03:45 PM   #4
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
Would an LG Fathom from Verizon work? It's a Windows smartphone with slide out keyboard.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:37 PM   #5
ReneeMR

I'm been w/ AT&T forever, and am happy w/ them, but Verizon isn't out of the question.

I'll take a look at the LG. Thanks!
Advert
Old 05-11-2011, 07:46 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'd make sure there's an app for Windows phone that does what you want first. I'm not sure there is.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:28 AM   #7
ReneeMR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I'd make sure there's an app for Windows phone that does what you want first. I'm not sure there is.
Darn!

I really want an Android phone... the Overdrive Android app does epub & mp3, but not wma.***oops, just saw you already mentioned that earlier!*** Currently, I listen to public library audiobooks (wma drm) on my ancient Palm TX using Pocket Tunes. But Pocket Tunes only has a Palm and Windows version... now on to search for a Pocket Tunes-type app for Android.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears!

Thanks, all!

Last edited by ReneeMR; 05-12-2011 at 10:30 AM. Reason: oops...
Old 05-12-2011, 10:35 AM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneeMR View Post
Darn!

I really want an Android phone... the Overdrive Android app does epub & mp3, but not wma.***oops, just saw you already mentioned that earlier!*** Currently, I listen to public library audiobooks (wma drm) on my ancient Palm TX using Pocket Tunes. But Pocket Tunes only has a Palm and Windows version... now on to search for a Pocket Tunes-type app for Android.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears!

Thanks, all!
There is no app/player for Android that works with DRM'd WMA, believe me I've looked (and looked). I guess no one has wanted to pay a license fee to Microsoft, that or MS isn't allowing it to be licensed anymore.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:45 AM   #9
ReneeMR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
There is no app/player for Android that works with DRM'd WMA, believe me I've looked (and looked). I guess no one has wanted to pay a license fee to Microsoft, that or MS isn't allowing it to be licensed anymore.
Well, darn, Brian, just burst my bubble, why dontcha?

Definitely not what I wanted to hear, but at least you've saved me lots of research time.

And now I'm gonna go sit in a corner and sulk...
Old 05-12-2011, 11:01 AM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

I'd love to be able to use WMA audiobooks on my phone too. Luckily I have a little MP3 player I can use them on, but it'd be nice for the phone to do it too. For now it's only MP3 and Audible audiobooks for Android.

FWIW, the phone I use is the Epic 4G, Sprint's version of the Galaxy S and it does have a slide out physical keyboard. I don't know if AT&T's version of the Galaxy S does or not.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:46 PM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneeMR View Post
And now I'm gonna go sit in a corner and sulk...
Get a tiny MP3 player. That's what I use for audiobooks. Most will handle the three major audiobook formats: Audible, MP3, and WMA. I have the Sansa Clip+ and it's highly recommended. It handles all three audiobook formats and is used by quite a few members of this forum. Amazon and Walmart generally have the lowest prices (~$40 for 4GB model).
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:37 AM   #12
ReneeMR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Get a tiny MP3 player. That's what I use for audiobooks. Most will handle the three major audiobook formats: Audible, MP3, and WMA. I have the Sansa Clip+ and it's highly recommended. It handles all three audiobook formats and is used by quite a few members of this forum. Amazon and Walmart generally have the lowest prices (~$40 for 4GB model).
Actually, my Palm TX (old as it is) works fine, it's just that I'd like an all-in-one device. If/when my Palm dies, I'll probably get the Sansa. Thanks.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:20 PM   #13
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
I am trying to find a way to get wma to work on my Android as well. My phone (Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate) says it should play wma files, but in my app it was crazy sounding, but I think my file expired. Going to try another.

Edit: Nope. I guess the specs are wrong, or it is the drm it doesn't like. I have a Zen that I used to use, but I always forget it.

Last edited by Care; 05-13-2011 at 12:46 PM.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 01:38 PM   #14
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Care View Post
My phone (Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate) says it should play wma files, but in my app it was crazy sounding
Regular WMA is likely fine, it's the DRM that makes it not work.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:52 AM   #15
ReneeMR

Hi, again.

Well, I've pretty much given up on a phone w/ a physical keyboard and am now looking at the Samsung Infuse. (I played around w/ the touchscreen, and it's not too bad.)

The Infuse is not listed on Overdrive's compatible devices, but I'm assuming it will work. I don't understand why--given the system requirements of Android v1.5 (or newer)--there are so few devices listed. Is there something else that might block the app from working?

TIA for your help. I posted an Infuse/Overdrive question on the Android board a few days ago; 57 people have read it, but no replies. Hoping you kind folks can enlighten me.