Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 04-26-2011, 10:14 AM   #16
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy3b View Post

I swear too many people have no idea of the value of a dollar anymore. Or never have had to actually work for a living or been in a situation where these luxuries are all buy impossible to fit into the budget and when it can finally be purchased it has to last. Come off your ivory towers and mingle with the peons instead of uttering "let them eat cake" from your lofty position. Remember this, one day you will be one of those peons, even if just for a week, trust me, it will happen to you too.
Can you possibly post without personally insulting other people here that disagree with you?
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:07 AM   #17
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
I really don't see what the big deal is with having a 'replaceable' battery.
Tech moves so fast these days that they reach the end of their life cycle before the battery ever dies.
Besides, if you have just a little bit of know-how it's not hard to crack open say, an ipad, and replace the battery yourself.
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2011, 11:52 AM   #18
zespectre
BookMonkey
zespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: NOOK, iPod Touch, Asus Netbook
Quote:
Tech moves so fast these days that they reach the end of their life cycle before the battery ever dies.
Besides, if you have just a little bit of know-how it's not hard to crack open say, an ipad, and replace the battery yourself.
They used to put a sticker "no user servicable parts inside" on stuff and I used to always chuckle and say to myself "now that really depends on the user doesn't it".
zespectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:14 PM   #19
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by bZkindle View Post
The big deal to me is that if I spend several hundred dollars on a piece of equipment, I'd like to think it will work for five years.

I haven't gotten to the point where I can spend 500 bucks and tell myself, "this will be a fun little toy for the next year or two."

I suspect we define "life cycle" differently.

Posted from my 4 year old PC
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 01:05 PM   #20
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
The big deal to me is that if I spend several hundred dollars on a piece of equipment, I'd like to think it will work for five years.

I haven't gotten to the point where I can spend 500 bucks and tell myself, "this will be a fun little toy for the next year or two."

I suspect we define "life cycle" differently.

Posted from my 4 year old PC
I hang on to electronics until they basically explode and go to gadget heaven.

Buy a battery on-line and get a schematic and a screw-driver....
I don't know if anything is meant to last for 5 years anymore.
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2011, 01:27 PM   #21
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy3b View Post
Ok, I don't get it with people actually defending the idea of intentionally building a device w/o a user replaceable battery. WTF is wrong with you who think it is a good and reasonable idea!!!??? Seriously what is your damage?
It allows the device to be made smaller and lighter.

Quote:

And the whole idea that doing so makes the device thinner is using a ridiculous argument if you compare the size of this Toshiba device with the others, including the iPad. We are taking a few mm difference, that is all.
The Toshiba is almost twice as thick as the ipad (.62" vs .34") and weighs 5 oz more. This is not a ridiculous argument; it's what most people prefer.

Quote:

In return you get a device that if you take care of it, will last you years and years. A heavy user will burn up a battery to the point where the remaining battery capacity is all but pointless in a much sorter time than other light users. So what you are saying is anyone who uses the device often should be forced to spend another $600ish just because the battery is worn out? I think that Apple does offer a battery replacement for a fee. Knowing them that fee is probably at least as much as the battery itself.
Apple will replace the battery for $99. That strikes me as being competitive with the $89 Toshiba is charging for their battery.
Quote:

I swear too many people have no idea of the value of a dollar anymore. Or never have had to actually work for a living or been in a situation where these luxuries are all buy impossible to fit into the budget and when it can finally be purchased it has to last. Come off your ivory towers and mingle with the peons instead of uttering "let them eat cake" from your lofty position. Remember this, one day you will be one of those peons, even if just for a week, trust me, it will happen to you too.

Last edited by Andrew H.; 04-26-2011 at 02:16 PM.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 01:44 PM   #22
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Nice catch. In addition, It will read standard size SD cards, including SDXC. This means you can keep your data on removeable chips for easier backup and replacement. In addition, it uses an LED backlit LCD. (LEDs have longer lifespans than CCFL backlights). The only question is how long before the built-in firmware Flash memory wears out. I doubt if it would be easily replaceable.

With moderate use and reasonable care, it ought to last 10 years +.

Better start saving your pennies, before Toshiba decides to follow the herd, and you have no good choice.

The only e-ink e-book reader with removable chip and user replaceable battery was the Hanlin V3 (BeBook One, ASTAK) and they aren't made any more...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 04:29 PM   #23
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post

The Toshiba is almost twice as thick as the ipad (.62" vs .34") and weighs 5 oz more. This is not a ridiculous argument; it's what most people prefer.

Apple will replace the battery for $99. That strikes me as being competitive with the $89 Toshiba is charging for their battery.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:10 PM   #24
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post

A difference in world view.

The Apple replacement price is competitive...except for

1. Time.. Ship your device to Apple. Wait for Apple to change the battery. Then Apple ships it back. Compare that to buying a battery at Staples, and spending 5 minutes (or less) to change it.

2. Do you get back your device from Apple? I've head that's not always the case.

I sympathise with grumpy3b. Why buy a high price gizmo that will end up as a "landfill lewie" in a couple years. Shiny isn't enough for me. It's like the old "Detroit Irons" cars from the 1970's that were design to fail after 4 years (the standard length of time for payments back then).

Shucks, most laptops have user replaceable batteries...

Is .28 of an inch thick and 5 ounces less worth 600-800 dollars over the next five years? Because that's what we're talking about.

And think about all the thrown away flash memory from MP3 player with dead batteries...
Old 04-26-2011, 05:24 PM   #25
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
A difference in world view.

The Apple replacement price is competitive...except for

1. Time.. Ship your device to Apple. Wait for Apple to change the battery. Then Apple ships it back.
Or walk it into an Apple store next time you're out running errands and...

1. Get it back in a few minutes while you wait
2. Go back and get it after you finish shopping or having dinner or whatever...
Old 04-26-2011, 05:44 PM   #26
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
Or walk it into an Apple store next time you're out running errands and...

1. Get it back in a few minutes while you wait
2. Go back and get it after you finish shopping or having dinner or whatever...
Assuming there's an Apple store handy... And you get another refurb back, not your unit. Which you have to reload with your data...

(I'm on a trip and the battery fails... Where's the Apple store? Where's my data?)

As I said, a difference in world view.

I have nothing against your world view, I just dislike being forced to follow it. And if all I can buy is non-replaceable, I'm forced to follow it (or do without).

That's why when some company makes a gizmo that is long term oriented, some of us cheapskates get excited. (The less money we spend on shiny, the more we have to spend on other things...)

Last edited by Greg Anos; 04-26-2011 at 05:46 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:52 PM   #27
RockdaMan
Banned

Quote:
And you get another refurb back, not your unit.
You won't, not for a battery change in store.

Quote:
(I'm on a trip and the battery fails
Lets be realistic. Batteries don't just die overnight. You can see it coming because the charge stops lasting as long as it once did long before it dies out completely. A battery that just flat out dies would be the same as a circuit board that fries itself at random: an unusual non-preventable catastrophic system failure.

Apple stores are in most major US cities and their suburbs now. Depending on where you are, you have a good chance of making your way to one if you need to.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:01 PM   #28
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
You won't, not for a battery change in store.

Lets be realistic. Batteries don't just die overnight. You can see it coming because the charge stops lasting as long as it once did long before it dies out completely. A battery that just flat out dies would be the same as a circuit board that fries itself at random: an unusual non-preventable catastrophic system failure.

Apple stores are in most major US cities and their suburbs now. Depending on where you are, you have a good chance of making your way to one if you need to.

Am I misinformed?

http://www.macworld.com/article/1470...d_battery.html

I'm not always an urban or suburban person. Once again, why do I have to dance to the "shiny" tune?
Old 04-26-2011, 06:18 PM   #29
RockdaMan
Banned

Quote:
Am I misinformed?
I was mistaken. You get a different device back.

Quote:
Replacement devices (iPad or iPhone) are technically considered “refurbished” but, as a company who puts extra care into every little detail of the experience, refurbished to Apple means “almost new” to most users.

As is the case with iPods and iPhones (and will likely be the case with the iPad) the “refurbished” unit will come with a new exterior case so even if your previous unit did have a few superficial scratches, you’ll end up with a fresh and clean device.
Quote:
Arranging for a replacement can be done by calling AppleCare or through Apple’s website. Additionally, users can get service through the Genius Bar at their local Apple Store. Once the initial iPad demand settles, Apple Stores will begin to carry additional iPads as “service parts” which means that, should you need a battery replacement, you can simply walk into an Apple Store, pay your fee and walk out with your replacement.
I bought a refurbished iPod four or five years ago...still works. And yes, the non-replaceable battery still holds a charge.

Last edited by RockdaMan; 04-26-2011 at 06:35 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:21 PM   #30
RockdaMan
Banned

Quote:
I'm not always an urban or suburban person.
Battery failure/replacement is not a monthly (probably not yearly either) occurence. You'd manage.

Or you can cart around the heavier, thicker device.