Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-13-2011, 05:51 AM   #1
mlaiti00
mlaiti00 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Which ebook reader for PDF

Hello all,
I returned my KINDLE DX 9".7 today, because I tested it with PDF and it doens't work well. although I converted the PDF on kindle format (.azw) ...
The kindle works very fine for with kindle format.

So, I'm searching for an ebook reader which work fine with PDF :
+dictionary
+search words
+ from table of contents, click to go to the selected chapter
+link clickable to go to another chapter or paragraph
+annotations
+text to speech ( optional, but I like it very well).

No other need.
Please, can someone tell give me an advice.

Thank you in advance.
mlaiti00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:03 AM   #2
mrmls
Enthusiast
mrmls has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 950
There is no e-Ink e-reader that does not have problems with rendering of PDFs. It depends on PDF how it will succeed. DX should have been fine as its screen size is optimal for rendering A4/Letter paper size (so they say, I haven't checked). If this didn't work, then only LCD devices will help, like iPad.
mrmls is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2011, 06:35 AM   #3
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Have you looked into getting an enTourage eDGe? The full-sized model has a 9.7" e-ink screen and it is supposed to handle pdfs very well. The table of contents appears on the LCD screen for navigation (it is a "dualbook"), and the e-ink side is where you annotate.

I usually read epubs, so my personal experience is limited, but you might want to read user posts in these 2 forums:
http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/forum.php
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=218

You'll see the company is having difficulties, but they haven't folded. And if you are worried they might, you can buy an extended warranty from some of the retailers.

Anyway, it's worth a look, as long as you're researching -- and it might be just what you want!

Happy hunting!!

Last edited by Filark; 04-13-2011 at 06:37 AM.
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:33 AM   #4
hughes
Addict
hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Galaxy Nexus, iPad 1
Sony Readers use the official Adobe Mobile PDF reader, so perhaps you'd be happier with a PRS-650 or 950.

If not, I think you're going to have to go to an iPad for the best PDF ereader experience. There are multiple PDF reading apps available, and the iPad is generally considered to have the best PDF support.
hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:54 AM   #5
mlaiti00

Thanks for your answers.
Most of my PDF are available on EPUB format.
So, I change my question :-)
What is the best large screen ebook reader for EPUB ?

Thanks in advance.
Advert
Old 04-13-2011, 10:09 AM   #6
mrmls
Enthusiast
mrmls has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughes View Post
Sony Readers use the official Adobe Mobile PDF reader, so perhaps you'd be happier with a PRS-650 or 950.
Friend of mine owns 950, and there are few types of PDFs that are hard to read.

For any other large e-Ink device I would wait for Onyx Book (http://www.onyx-boox.com/store/onyx-boox/onyx-boox-m90). Still, don't know if it will be as good as they are marketing it
mrmls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:25 AM   #7
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
It's a very strange question you're asking. You seem to be presenting conflicting format requirements.
In any case, 'best' is totally subjective, and what you want might not be what's best for anyone else.

People who need "good PDF support" on a reader are usually asking because the want the specific page layout and formatting that is in the PDF. Using any ebook format, AZW or ePub, effectively negates this. Conversely, I'd never choose PDF format to read on an eReader if the same content was available in a suitable 'real' ebook format like ePub.

That being said, I was rather surprised to find that my little 5" Sony PRS-350 reader could reflow many text-based PDFs, making many PDFs far more readable than on my 6" Kindle.

I would personally opt for a Kindle DX if I needed to read a lot of PDF, as I like Kindles, and don't like reading on back-lit screens, but if I needed to read a lot of color material or do research (linking technical PDFs to online resources) I'd consider an iPad or other tablet.

ApK

Last edited by ApK; 04-13-2011 at 10:30 AM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:03 AM   #8
mlaiti00

O, please don't tell me KINDLE DX !!
I've just returned it today to amazon.
because, it is the worst ebook reader for PDF.
altough, I convert my PDF to ".azw". It's still very bad to read the converted PDF to "*.azw" ...
Very very bad for PDF. I don't recommand it for every one who want read PDF format, although converted on "*.azw".
However, it is EXCELLENT for the kindle format. Very, very excellent.

recently, I noticed that the most of my PDF exist on EBUP format.
So, now, I'm searching for a large ebook reader which read EPUB fine ..

maybe, "ONYX BOOX M90" or "POCKETBOOK 903" ... I hope there aren't very bugged ...
Old 04-13-2011, 11:43 AM   #9
kc24zz
Enthusiast
kc24zz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kc24zz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kc24zz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kc24zz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony prs 505, galaxy tab
No e-ink reader is great at reading a pdf. Converting pdfs is even worse. They can not be converted well "automatically" with any program and the conversion is far worse than simply reading them in pdf format.

The sony readers are reputed to be best at handling pdfs and are great with epub. It is far better to get your books in epub format if possible.
kc24zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:45 AM   #10
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Large screen readers, hmm that eleminates my Libra Pro and my blackberry storm, it has a tinny screen. Other than the Kindle DX that you said you retured I have had positive comments from owners of Bookeen readers, of course all forum members seem to think that the reader they have is best of the lot.

I would recommend that you go speak with the Bookeen owners on this forum to see how well their chosen readers did.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 02:15 PM   #11
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlaiti00 View Post
maybe, "ONYX BOOX M90" or "POCKETBOOK 903" ... I hope there aren't very bugged ...
Don't try Pocketbook 903 before reading the Pocketbook forum threads. You should be really sure you want to bet on PB to fix the bad firmware somewhere in the future. Otherwise i'm sure you will return it the next day. PB had a good reputation BEFORE 60x/90x models were shipped. Since then reputation is very bad and it won't be better until the fix all the firmware bugs and missing features.

M90 would be interesting.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 02:33 PM   #12
mlaiti00

Thank you very much.
All your answers are very interesting to me.
Many many thanks.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:46 PM   #13
Onyx Europe
Distributor
Onyx Europe is on a distinguished road

Device: Onyx Boox M91S
Quote:
Thank you very much.
All your answers are very interesting to me.
Many many thanks.
When we get the first sample of the Onyx Boox M90 I'll post some reviews on onyx-boox.com how it displays PDF's
Onyx Europe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 03:13 PM   #14
mlaiti00

PDF or EBUP : most used format.
Thank you very much.
I'm waiting to read more information or see more demonstration on youtube.com. ( until now, there is only ONE demonstration on youtube).
Thanks.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:15 PM   #15
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Hello all,
I returned my KINDLE DX 9".7 today, because I tested it with PDF and it doens't work well. although I converted the PDF on kindle format (.azw) ...
The kindle works very fine for with kindle format.

So, I'm searching for an ebook reader which work fine with PDF :
+dictionary
+search words
+ from table of contents, click to go to the selected chapter
+link clickable to go to another chapter or paragraph
+annotations
+text to speech ( optional, but I like it very well).

No other need.
Please, can someone tell give me an advice.

Thank you in advance.
You don't have to convert to PDF in order to read or use your book on the Kindle DXG? And PDF conversion is one of the worse conversions possible! Most results are horrible and won't even work. The reason is because the format itself and its technical specs.

Now, if the book itself is on PDF format already, Kindle DXG should be able to read it without any issues (or most of the time) I've never faced any issue reading a PDF on my Kindle DXG, but there are a few people here that had problems before, just a few I should say. No conversion is needed if the book is on PDF format already.

If the book is on EPUB and you want to read it on the DXG, it's a matter of converting to MOBI, assuming there is no DRM protection of course. And by the way, a book on EPUB is not a PDF, is an ebook with EPUB format. EPUB to MOBI is a really simple conversion via Calibre (again, without DRM protection)

Best PDF readers? iPad with GoodReader app, Kindle DXG and Sony. But Sony's screen is too small in my opinion; lot of scrolls and zomming just to read a PDF. Kindle DXG has a better size. iPad with GoodReader is fantastic and extremely fast.

Last edited by jocampo; 04-13-2011 at 04:18 PM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote