Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-09-2010, 12:25 AM   #1
SangYuP
SangYuP began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3; PRS-300
Am I crazy???

I bought a Kindle 3 a few days ago. It was my first ebook reader and I'm loving it. Well, while I was at Target today, I found the PRS-300 for under $40 so I had to buy it even though I already had the Kindle. My wife is calling me crazy for keeping both of them. Am I crazy to keep both? I'm doing a lot of research right now on the PRS-300 for the pros and cons. If I already have the Kindle, is the 300 a waste of money???
SangYuP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 12:49 AM   #2
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
I'd be keeping them both... gotta collect them all!
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2010, 12:57 AM   #3
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
Gosh no. I'd grab one for $40, in a heartbeat! You can read library books on the Sony PRS 300, can't you?

Is this a common price, or was it an opened item?
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 01:00 AM   #4
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I'd keep both!

The Sony 300 gives you EPUB support, all those Google PD books, plus library books. It's a totally rational decision!
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 01:05 AM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I think you've made a great purchase (especially at that price!). You now have all your ebook bases covered for Amazon and ePub. Congratulations!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2010, 02:08 AM   #6
SangYuP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper_ View Post
Gosh no. I'd grab one for $40, in a heartbeat! You can read library books on the Sony PRS 300, can't you?

Is this a common price, or was it an opened item?
This was clearance price at the local Target. They were brand new and they had 5 and now they have 3 left...I bought one for me and one for a present.
Old 10-09-2010, 02:10 AM   #7
SangYuP

Thanks to everyone for helping me rationalize my purchase...I still don't think my wife is completely happy with my decision....but I just couldn't pass up a good deal and as everyone mentioned...I have the best of both worlds.
Old 10-09-2010, 05:27 AM   #8
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
You'll be pleasantly surprised, Sang, with what the Sony does that the Kindle can't, and vice versa. And under $40! It's the price that's crazy -- not you. Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 06:49 AM   #9
parafluie
Enthusiast
parafluie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle 3,
When we stop collecting books for the bookshelf, it's time to collect eReaders. Otherwise, what will we put on our shelves or stack into our rollees when we travel?

I plan to buy a 650 in addition to the Kindle. And, if I were to see a different eReader at Target for $40, you can bet your booties I'd buy it. Eventually, I'll be able to loan out my readers instead of my books!

But to answer your initial question: Yes, of course you are crazy!

parafluie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 07:27 AM   #10
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Wow, am I jealous. I'd pick that 300 up in a heartbeat, even though I have the PRS-505. Now you can use your Kindle for your Amazon books, your 300 for your epubs. Also, you will find the 300 more portable than your Kindle.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 02:24 PM   #11
jswinden
Nameless Being

You made the right decision, and congratulations. I had a 300 when I bought my K3, but I kept the 300 until I upgraded to the 350. I always like to have a reader that is easily used in the Amazon world and another reader that is easily used in the world of ePubs! Sometimes the K3 is my reader of choice for a particular book or situation, and sometimes my 350 is my reader of choice. It is really nice having both options.

Last edited by jswinden; 10-09-2010 at 02:26 PM.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:05 PM   #12
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Very good decision! I currently have three fully functioning readers...have had a Sony 505 for two and a half years, a BN nook for about three months and a Sony 650 for two weeks. And if I found a Sony 300 at Target for less than $50 I'd pick it up in a heart beat!

Right now, I currently have a 350 that I'm setting up to give to my Mother In Law. If she doesn't like it (highly unlikely) that'll be mine too!

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 01:00 AM   #13
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Even though I need another ereader like I need a hole is my head, I wouldn't be able to pass up a $40 Sony. I could always give it as a gift to someone, and it would be a gift they would never expect.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 10:04 PM   #14
kalex
Zealot
kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: sony
Kindle 3 is much better than PRS300. PRS300 uses older display and I can tell you from first hand experience that going from prs-350 which is new generation of displays to prs-300 was horrible for me . Funny thing is that I used PRS300 before but after using 350 i wouldn't go back. 300 is very slow and screen is much worse then on 350/kindle 3
But then again for $40 I guess i could use it
kalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 05:12 PM   #15
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalex View Post
Kindle 3 is much better than PRS300. PRS300 uses older display and I can tell you from first hand experience that going from prs-350 which is new generation of displays to prs-300 was horrible for me . Funny thing is that I used PRS300 before but after using 350 i wouldn't go back. 300 is very slow and screen is much worse then on 350/kindle 3
But then again for $40 I guess i could use it

Hm. I've compared the Kindle 3 screen against my old PRS-505 and I couldn't see that much difference myself.

As to the OP, the $40 Sony would be worth it just to have access to library books, not to mention all the other things it gives you access to that the Kindle doesn't.

Good deal! I'd have bought them all!
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote