Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-27-2010, 01:23 PM   #16
JA Konrath
Thriller Writer
JA Konrath began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
The books that have scared me tend to be reality-based rather than supernatural. Girl Next Door and Off Season by Jack Ketchum, Pressure by Jeff Strand, Desert Places by Blake Crouch.

My fave all time is Master of Lies by Graham Masterton. It is supernatural, but it sure is a rough one.
JA Konrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 02:13 PM   #17
lila55
Fanatic
lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360° , iPhone 5, PRS-650, Sony PRS-T2, Sony PRS-T3, Tolino
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post
My favorite King book (though I haven't read them all) is Pet Sematary.
Same with me. And even though I read it several times over the years, each time I reread it it still scares me.
lila55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2010, 04:50 PM   #18
bonaldo2000
Enthusiast
bonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: prs-505
I would say Stephen King's The Shining is easily the scariest book I ever read.
bonaldo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:00 AM   #19
mediax
Readaholic
mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2 (previously 505 and 650)
It's probably just a case of the right book at the right time/age, but Robert Heinlein's "The Unpleasant Profession of Jonathan Hoag" is the one that really got to me.

I haven't re-read it recently, but I fear it may not have aged too well.
mediax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:10 AM   #20
coderserdar
Groupie
coderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five words

Device: Amazon Kindle 3 Wifi, İpod Touch 4th Generation
stephen king - it
stephen king - salem's lot
stephen king - misery

these are best

Last edited by coderserdar; 10-28-2011 at 03:38 AM.
coderserdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2011, 12:04 PM   #21
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
James Dickey's Deliverance. The film scared me, too.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:18 PM   #22
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Anything by Shirley Jackson - but esp. The Lottery and The Haunting of Hill House.
The Haunting of Hill House is right up there for me, as is a lot of Lovecraft's better works. The Amityville Horror was another case of the right story at the right time. I was alone in the house, reading late at night. I was in the middle of the creepy scene with all the flies, and the wind rattled my bedroom window. Scared the heck out of me.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:51 PM   #23
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
The Shining. I recently went on a Stephen King kick and read most of his classics. It, Pet Sematary, Salem's Lot.. they were good, but didn't scare me. The Shining though....
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 04:06 PM   #24
replica145
Bake 'Em Away Toys
replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW (Books) & iPad 3 (Comics)
1408 from the Everything's Eventual collection (King) and...

House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski is the most horrifying thing I have ever read or seen. It's not e-available, it has unique typography/colors (some small sections you need to hold up to a mirror to read), but I recommend it to anyone looking to spend Halloween with the lights on...I can't even begin to describe how terrified I was reading this book.
replica145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:05 PM   #25
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Sparrow Rock by Nate Kenyon. its hands down the scariest book i've ever read. its a post-apocalyptic scenario that adds a lot of new twists to the genre.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:59 AM   #26
chrisanthropic
Fiend
chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by bthrowsnaill View Post
"The Dreams in the Witch House".
My absolute favorite Lovecraft story!
chrisanthropic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 01:27 PM   #27
Traye
Zealot
Traye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle, Sony PRS505, Ipod touch, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by replica145 View Post
1408 from the Everything's Eventual collection (King) and...

House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski is the most horrifying thing I have ever read or seen. It's not e-available, it has unique typography/colors (some small sections you need to hold up to a mirror to read), but I recommend it to anyone looking to spend Halloween with the lights on...I can't even begin to describe how terrified I was reading this book.
I have had this book for a very long time but I don't know if I will ever be able to read it.
Did you read the footnotes too? The book is very daunting to me, I would love to read it though.
Traye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 06:11 PM   #28
replica145
Bake 'Em Away Toys
replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW (Books) & iPad 3 (Comics)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traye View Post
I have had this book for a very long time but I don't know if I will ever be able to read it.
Did you read the footnotes too? The book is very daunting to me, I would love to read it though.
You can skim a lot of the footnotes; since the book mimes an academic work in some sections they're often entirely technical and have no relevance to the plot(s). Other times they are a sort of diary of a madman, so they are intentionally obscure. I read them all the first time through and on subsequent reads skim what I know to be superfluous.

It's not as dense as it looks -- some of it is just gimmicks honestly -- but I can't recommend it enough. I hope you give a try soon
replica145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 06:35 PM   #29
TonyR
Connoisseur
TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle, Jetbook Lite, iPod Touch
Jerome Bixby's "It's a Good Life"
Jack Finney's THE BODY SNATCHERS
Kealan Patrick Burke's "Empathy"
Fritz Leiber's "The Girl with the Hungry Eyes"
Algis Budrys's "Master of the Hounds"
Ray Bradbury's "The October Game," and "The Town Where No One Got Off"
Richard Matheson's "Prey"
Harlan Ellison's "Lonelyache"
Charles L. Grant's TALES FROM THE NIGHTSIDE
Dennis Etchison's TALKING IN THE DARK
Ramsey Campbell's ALONE WITH THE HORRORS
Joe Haldeman's "Graves"
John Varley's "Press Enter"

And I'll second pretty much everything on the list in ATDrake's post. Of the titles I listed here, the Bradburys and the Budrys aren't supernatural chillers, but they really deliver. Trust me on that.

And Happy Halloween.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 06:57 PM   #30
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I just saw that earlier tonight on BBC radio 4 an adaptation of The House of Leaves was aired. It might be available online though maybe only for UK residents.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote