Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-23-2014, 01:17 PM   #1
tidegirl
tidegirl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertidegirl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertidegirl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertidegirl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertidegirl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertidegirl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertidegirl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertidegirl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertidegirl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertidegirl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertidegirl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS T2
Need guidance

Hi everyone. I am needing some help with choosing a new reader. I started with a PRS 505, and when it died I did a little research and decided to stick with the quality I loved about Sony and got a PRS T2. My T2 is still going strong, but I am really wanting something with a light now. Hubby gets upset when I read with the bedside lamp when he is trying to sleep, and the few book lights I have tried just don't do the trick for me. (Not lighting the whole page)

I am leaning toward the Nook glowlight or a kobo. I would prefer to stay away from Kindle because I don't want to have to reformat several years worth of books.

What is important to me is mostly just the quality of the device- clarity of screen, reasonably fast page turns, no freezing or crashing. I need to be able to load my own books, because like I said I have a lot and usually get them from different sources. I use the dictionary feature some, but I could live without it as well. I also like to be able to increase the font size at least, even if I can't change the font.

I have seen some bad comments on the Nook- that they are on the way out of the business. I have also seen some good and some bad comments on the kobo readers.

So any advice or thoughts on these or other readers would be much appreciated. And I would really like a clear explanation of the differences between the kobo glo, aura, and aura HD. I have looked through the specs of all of them but I just can't figure out what the differences are.

Thanks in advance for your help.

ETA: I forgot one REALLY important feature: NO ADS!!! That is a must.
tidegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 02:44 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
It's worth noting that you only have to reformat your books once, and you can always leave that job running overnight. Or calibre will auto-convert to a supported format if none of the device-supported formats are available. Don't reject the Kindle as a viable option just because of a one-time formatting need. And the Kindles are known for having very stable firmware.

Not having a Kobo, I can only say what I've heard on MobileRead, but the key seems to be finding a firmware that you like which doesn't have any bugs that affect your usage, and then stick with that firmware.

Do not get a Nook; in addition to them being on the way out of business, they have few features and crash all the time. They are buggy, slow and obsolete. Several friends of mine have Nooks, so I know.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2014, 03:12 PM   #3
Jack Torrance
“Here’s Johnny
Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG - 9.7 iPad - iPhone 12PM - Macbook Pro
While I haven't tried the Kobo I saw one a few years ago and they felt cheap to me especially in comparison to my Kindle K2. This may have changed in the interim but I can only speak from my experience. The Nook seems like a good product but it's a availability may become an issue and what good is a warranty if the company goes under?

Ive only heard good things about the PW and if the SW is any thing like my K2 I would see no issue in recommending it. I've had one issue with my K2 it it may be nearing its end of life ( 4 years???) but am getting another one without hesitation.
Jack Torrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 03:45 PM   #4
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
I wouldn't get the Nook Glowlight for a few reasons. The first is that Barnes & Noble does seem to be slowly leaving the e-book business. That doesn't bode well for support if your device breaks. The second is that the it doesn't have an microSD expansion slot and only leaves 512 MB for non-BN content. So if you buy content from say Kobo (a very real possibility since Kobo frequently offers discount codes which makes the cheaper than B&N), you'll only be able to side load so many of those books onto a Nook.

The Kobo Aura and Aura HD both offer an expansion slot. They both have front lights and neither has ads. They also don't partition storage for non-Kobo content. The Aura is a little more than the Nook but for what it offers, I think the extra $10 is worth it.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 04:24 PM   #5
tidegirl
tidegirl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertidegirl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertidegirl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertidegirl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertidegirl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertidegirl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertidegirl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertidegirl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertidegirl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertidegirl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertidegirl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

OK, so Nook is ruled out, Kindle is in the running with the Kobos. Still open to advice and suggestions.

With the Kindle, can you just connect it to your computer to load books you already own from there? And this is not a dealbreaker, but I am curious- will multiple devices (like the Kindle and the phone app) remember your place for those, the way it does with Amazon purchased content? Can I keep a backup copy of Amazon purchased books on my computer?
Advert
Old 03-23-2014, 04:28 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
You can keep a backup copy of anywhere-purchased ebooks on your computer.

Most devices (Nook excepted, with caveats, of course) allow sideloading, just by connecting as a USB device (and preferably using calibre ). However, it will become necessary to trick the server into syncing the annotations/place data -- you can manually change the ASIN on a Kindle Book, so Amazon thinks it is their (sync-supported) book, or email to your send-to-kindle email address as a Personal Document. I don't know what the options are for Kobo.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 05:05 PM   #7
Bertolt
Connoisseur
Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle K4, Kobo mini, Samsung Galaxy Tab
I have been happy with my Kindles (2 of them) and both are still working fine but I have given them to family and now prefer my Pocketbook Lux. It just does everything I want of an ereader and it's fun to customise it. I still buy most of my books from Amazon, as I live abroad (Spain) and it's easier to get English books that way. But I feel a lot freer to do what I want to do with the Pocketbook.
I had a bad experience with Kobo, mine clunked.
Bertolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 05:26 PM   #8
Bertolt
Connoisseur
Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tidegirl View Post
I would prefer to stay away from Kindle because I don't want to have to reformat several years worth of books....

I need to be able to load my own books, because like I said I have a lot and usually get them from different sources.
Do you intend to load all your old books onto the new device? Why?
I keep all my books in Calibre on my PC and I make an extra copy on an external hard drive. I also have them backed up in the cloud with Amazon. Why not just do this one step at a time? Just upload onto the new device those books you are sure you will want to consult again and do it when you need to do it.
I hope I have not misunderstood you.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:29 AM   #9
tidegirl

I usually do bertolt, just because i can keep them straighy that way. I put a good bit of effort into getting them all in the proper format and in the same place on the computer, and a most updated copy (metadata) on the reader. But i guess it shouldnt be too difficult to convert them with calibre and load them.

I am leaning heavily toward the kindle now. With sony bailing (and never having a decent lighted version) it looks like they are about the only option with really decent quality. It also seems like it wont be long before they run everyone else out of business since no one can really keep up. Besides, there are a few features on the 2nd gen that i really like - like page flip and giving the time until the end of the chapter. I'll let you onow when i decude for sure.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:47 AM   #10
Bertolt
Connoisseur

I doubt if you'll have a problem with the Kindle and if you do, you can return it (up to 2 years after purchase date here in Europe). I worry a bit about them becoming the only show in town, because then they can afford to raise the prices as much as they like. At the moment I think they might even make a loss on the devices.
The Kindle app for PC, tablet etc. is very useful if any of your books have colour photos. I have a few travel guides with nice photos and colour maps. Obviously all photos are black and white on the ereader. On the app you can see the photos in full colour and magnify them if you wish.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:52 AM   #11
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by tidegirl View Post
I usually do bertolt, just because i can keep them straighy that way. I put a good bit of effort into getting them all in the proper format and in the same place on the computer, and a most updated copy (metadata) on the reader. But i guess it shouldnt be too difficult to convert them with calibre and load them.
Converting is not an issue at all--Calibre will convert automatically when you send to the device (if you choose to load your books that way) If you choose to send all of your books to the Kindle cloud, then I believe you will have to convert first, then either email or use the Send to Kindle app.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 05:45 PM   #12
tidegirl

I do use Calibre, so yes it will be easy to convert them all at once.

I couldn't stand it anymore, I ordered a Kindle PW this morning. I did get the one with ads after all. I talked to a friend who has one, and she said the ads didn't seem like a big deal to her. I thought about the 3G, but reading on the site it seemed like you could only use this to shop the kindle store, so I decided it wasn't worth it. There are free hotspots almost everywhere these days, and I am never without several unread books anyway.

So my cover will be here in 2 days, and my Kindle will be here Monday. That's pretty messed up. I guess I can sit and stare at my pretty purple cover for 4 days while I'm waiting.

I went to office depot this morning to see one in person. They had the gen 1 though so i couldn't see all the features and obviously didn't buy, but I did get to check it out a bit. You should have seen me in there with my jacket over my head trying to test the screen brightness. It was a sight, I'm sure. After really checking the details out last night I am excited about some of the newest features, like time to read and page flip.

This is the first time I have looked forward to Monday in a long time! LOL
Old 03-26-2014, 11:11 AM   #13
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
If you do decide the ads are intrusive, then you can pay $20 to have them removed by simply turning on WiFi and syncing your device - after paying the $20, course!

Personally, I don't like ads and so I did it that way.

The Paperwhite 2 is a wonderful ereader, in my opinion.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote