Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-22-2010, 11:24 PM   #1
questerymj
questerymj began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Question about making PRS-600 firmware

Hello all, I'm new to here. I have trouble on making customed PRS-600 firmware and looking for some kindly help.

I got my PRS-600 last week and try to flash it with the hacked firmware with chinese/janapese/korean fonts that download from internet. It's a nice successful, but I'm not satisfied with the fonts that used in that firmware and the simpllified chinese menu, so I try to unpack the firmware and make a customed one for my self.

I try to repleace the fonts with 2 android font file(each one is 3mb size) and modified the asset.xml in language folder of opt/reader. The repeacking and md5 making looks successful, but no matter I modify the font/menu/both, everytime I flash my customed firmware, the result is PRS-600 keep restarting again and again. If I flash the original hacked firmware back, every thing will back to normal and worked.

I had read most articles about how to unpack/modify/repack a firmware ISO from many forums and try to do everything right, but looks like not. If there are any reason to make a ISO fail, how do avoid the problem and do it right, or here are any other reason to make PRES-600 keep restart and how to reslove it, tell me please. Appreciaiton for any suggestion.
questerymj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:01 PM   #2
questerymj

Bump myself...nobody know?:P
Advert
Old 09-24-2010, 07:26 AM   #3
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
I don't quite understand your question. Be more specific and you'll get help.
Fonts are referenced (by font name, not file name) not only from xml files, but from some binaries, for example LRF viewer.

So if you want to have different fonts in LRF, rename fonts (fonts, not files, filename shouldn't matter) and replace the old ones. If you simply want to have your UI having different font, then just adding new fonts to the /opt/sony/... blabla../FONT and _correctly_ referencing them from XML should work.

And remember, that it's very easy to brick PRS 600 when experimenting with firmware changes, and so far (unlike with 900/350/650/505/300) there is no simple way to unbrick it.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:12 PM   #4
questerymj

Thanks for reply kartu, let me describe this more detailed.

First, I found the information about chinese hacked firmware here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67674

The way to make this firmware is, unpack the hacked russian firmware, replace the font files by fonts with chinese font support and change the menu words, then repack it and flash. Same way to make the russian firmware.

So I download this firmware and try it out. It worked but the font and menu language is not satisfied by me. So I try to make a customed firmware by the very same way to make the chinese hacked firmware I downloaded.

But my firmware is not successful. After flashed PRS-600 keep restarting. I can fix this by flash the firast chinese hacked firmware again. So I posted here to ask if anyone know what make PRS-600 keep restarting or what's go wrong in my process. If the firmware I downloaded worked, no reason mine can't...I think so.:P

I know there are always danger to hack any device. but there are so many people successed on this so I wish to make a try.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:44 AM   #5
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartu View Post
And remember, that it's very easy to brick PRS 600 when experimenting with firmware changes, and so far (unlike with 900/350/650/505/300) there is no simple way to unbrick it.
For future reference, please can you explain how you unbrick a 650? What if it won't boot?

Thanks
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert