Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-07-2009, 09:58 AM   #31
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
New stuff:
Alastair Reynolds or Peter F. Hamilton are good choices if you like epic stories set in space. Space opera.
Neal Asher or Iain M. Banks if you like the equivalent of an action movie in a sci-fi setting.
Charles Stross is not that easy to categorize, his novels have varied settings, some on a spaceship, some on Earth, etc.
John Scalzi is a decent light read as well.
Stardragon by Mike Brotherton is a good book and its free.
Blindsight by Peter Watts is also excellent and free.
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 10:51 AM   #32
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
Richard K. Morgan's trilogy featuring Takeshi Kovacs.
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2009, 12:42 PM   #33
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
There's a noticeable lack of female authors in these lists!! OK, that may be because of the women whose books I enjoy, the majority write fantasy rather than science fiction. But there are a couple of authors I truly can recommend.

Try Julie E Czerneda. I just finished reading In the Company of Others for the second time and I'm getting ready to read her Stratification Series: Reap the Wild Wind, Riders of the Storm, and Rift in the Sky. I can heartily recommend her Species Imperative Series: Survival, Migration, and Regeneration.

The second author I'll recommend is C J Cherryh. Rider at the Gate is the first in her Nighthorse duology and Foreigner is the first in a series of at least 7 books (may be more by now).

And the third before I quit is S L Viehl. Her Stardoc series is outstanding. Start with Stardoc and read on through the eight others in this series.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 12:49 PM   #34
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I loved Margaret Atwoods Onyx and Crack and there is a sequel due out shortly.

The Handmaid's Tale is of course a classic!

Nancy Kress - "Beggars in Spain" is great

Last edited by kennyc; 09-07-2009 at 02:08 PM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 02:06 PM   #35
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
There's a noticeable lack of female authors in these lists!! OK, that may be because of the women whose books I enjoy, the majority write fantasy rather than science fiction. But there are a couple of authors I truly can recommend.
I have nothing against female authors. I'm reading the time travelers wife right now. I must say, she had me hooked from page 1.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2009, 02:58 PM   #36
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Jeffery Carver's (starrigger) website has a listing of all his books (the first 3 of the Chaos Chronicles: Neptune Crossing, Strange Attractors, and The Infinite Sea are even right here on MR).
Neptune crossing have a bit of a slow start, but then, I almost forgot to get down the train today becasue I was too buzy reading it. Luclily , someone distracted me to get off the train.

New SF. I could name quite a few "old", but new well...
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 03:42 PM   #37
pmul
Enthusiast
pmul is a marvel to beholdpmul is a marvel to beholdpmul is a marvel to beholdpmul is a marvel to beholdpmul is a marvel to beholdpmul is a marvel to beholdpmul is a marvel to beholdpmul is a marvel to beholdpmul is a marvel to beholdpmul is a marvel to beholdpmul is a marvel to behold

Device: K-1, K-2-3G, K-3-3G, K4PC, K4iPhone, K4iPad, K-Touch-Wifi, K-Fire, DXG
Definitely:
Iain M. Banks:
  • Consider Phlebas
  • Use of Weapons (short story collection)
  • Player of Games
  • The Algebraist
  • and the latest: Matter

Hard, gritty, SciFi

Also:
Alistair Reynolds:
  • Galactic North
  • Revelation Space (Excellent!)

Last edited by pmul; 09-07-2009 at 04:30 PM.
pmul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 04:10 PM   #38
AlexC
Connoisseur
AlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enough

Device: Apple iPad; iRex iLiad
Agreed on Iain M. Banks. His latest, Matter, is a fine exploration of heroism and sacrifice. Ken MacLeod, another Scottish sci-fi writer (and friend of Iain Banks), has written some interesting stuff too.
AlexC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 10:13 PM   #39
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Hmm, all 3 authors are on my ereader for quite some time, but never got around to reading them, Revelation Space, consider phebas, and learning the world (ken Macleod)

havent read any of them yet. will read one of them once I finish the time travelers wife.

Let me find some new authors to read. I just read Pohl for the first time, and I went back to get the next 2 books in the Heechee Series.

Stephen Baxter has a new book out. I read one of his books, or tried to.. cant remember. it was back in my paper days when I never could seem to finish a book. Good writer though. I believe it was Times Eye which I tried to read. and I got pretty far. I should finish it sometime and start sunstorm(which I also have in hard back some how.. no idea how I got that) but I think I lost the hardback for times eye.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 02:30 AM   #40
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
Let me find some new authors to read. I just read Pohl for the first time, and I went back to get the next 2 books in the Heechee Series.
Unusual for followups, Beyond The Blue Event Horizon is almost as good as Gateway and the 3rd one is good too. Jem and Man Plus and a couple of the books he wrote with C.M. Kornbluth whose names escape me, are also good.

Pohl has been since I first read Gateway, one of my top 5 sci/fi authors. I'm happy for you that you have lots of good reading ahead.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 05:47 AM   #41
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Again more fantasy than scifi, a couple of women authors I like are KJ Parker and Trudi Canavan, depending on your country their selections in ebook form can be somewhat limited, but well worth tracking down.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 05:53 AM   #42
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
My own wee publishing house, BeWrite Books, carries some fun and new SF from some first-time authors and several established old hands with more Hugos than you can shake a stick at (www.bewrite.net). If anything there catches your eye, just drop me a line and I'd be happy to send the ebook/s free of charge as email attachments. I'm afraid we only have PDF versions until we kick in with a full range of formats later this year, but they look and read well on my 505. Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 06:47 AM   #43
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayspooled View Post
Unusual for followups, Beyond The Blue Event Horizon is almost as good as Gateway and the 3rd one is good too. Jem and Man Plus and a couple of the books he wrote with C.M. Kornbluth whose names escape me, are also good.

Pohl has been since I first read Gateway, one of my top 5 sci/fi authors. I'm happy for you that you have lots of good reading ahead.
Oh man you guys are triggering all kinds of memories.

Pohl's "Reefs of Space" was and is one of my favorites of all time, right up there with Foundation and Dune and City and ...

I don't think I've ever read the Heechee books though....time to go find them methinks..
Old 09-08-2009, 07:14 AM   #44
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
Quote:

Try Julie E Czerneda.

The second author I'll recommend is C J Cherryh. Rider at the Gate is the first in her Nighthorse duology and Foreigner is the first in a series of at least 7 books (may be more by now).

And the third before I quit is S L Viehl. Her Stardoc series is outstanding. Start with Stardoc and read on through the eight others in this series.
Yeah, I like Czerneda a lot. I haven't gotten around to Viehl though I've meant to.

Bacon! Cherryh's horses are sort of the antithesis of Mercedes Lackey's. Carnivorous horses that think the arrival of bacon (by shipwrecked human colonists) the single most important event in the history of the world. heh, It's not really a funny book - it's just got chewy bits of humor in it.

Foreigner is 11 books now, 4 trilogies rather than a 12 book series. I like her Foreigner set but my favorites are in her Alliance/Union set - Pride of Chanur and the 3 book series that continues it, and Heavy Time, Merchanters Luck, the Faded Sun trilogy. She's written 2 of my top 10 sci-fi favorites. I hope to see them in ebook when she finishes setting up book sales on her website shortly. I just love her rolling downhill, pell mell writing style.

Bujold, Marion Zimmer Bradley, Connie Willis, Octavia Butler, Ursula Le Guin, Jo Walton, James Tiptree Jr (Alice somebody), Pat Cadigan, Joan D. Vinge, Nancy Kress, Vonda McIntyre, McCaffrey, some of Kage Baker... - all excellent writers, not excellent "female" writers. Happy to recommend them all. And this is just sci-fi, not fantasy.

Last edited by wayspooled; 09-08-2009 at 09:09 AM.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 07:37 AM   #45
kennyc

Lathe of Heaven - Ursula K. Le Guin ....did that get mentioned already? Excellent and there was a excellent TV adaptation a while back as well.