Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-07-2012, 10:35 PM   #136
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
That may be so, but the process should be as follows:

1.- install the android SDK (here). Truth be told you don't need the full SDK, you only need a few binaries
2.- connect your nook to the PC
3.- type "adb install <myapp.apk>"

You have to ensure the SDK tools are on the path. When people start getting their nook HD(+) we'll confirm whether this works, but it should, as long as you can enable ADB on the settings screen.
You left out step 2.5, "familiarize yourself with operating a computer via text commands." That's the big hurdle for most people.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:54 PM   #137
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
You left out step 2.5, "familiarize yourself with operating a computer via text commands." That's the big hurdle for most people.
The good old DOS command line days...
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2012, 11:42 PM   #138
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
Right on. Definitively not as easy as downloading straight from the device, and a challenge for shell-phobics, but not an insurmountable task nevertheless.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:54 AM   #139
pocket_rocket
pocket_rocket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pocket_rocket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pocket_rocket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pocket_rocket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pocket_rocket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pocket_rocket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pocket_rocket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pocket_rocket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pocket_rocket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pocket_rocket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pocket_rocket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several Nooks, Kobos, Kindles, tablets
So, I can't legally install the one program I wanted this tablet for. I am amazed the app store didn't have it. Amazon does. I'll take this back and cancel the credit card they gave me. Don't really want another Fire. No SD Card slot. Now that it is illegal to root any device, even your own, there really isn't much point in owning any of these things. I am sure that somehow these things will phone home to Big Brother and if they don't get a certain signal, it alerts them you have rooted it. I most certainly figure a stupid tablet isn't worth prison time so back it goes.
pocket_rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:43 AM   #140
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocket_rocket View Post
So, I can't legally install the one program I wanted this tablet for. I am amazed the app store didn't have it. Amazon does. I'll take this back and cancel the credit card they gave me. Don't really want another Fire. No SD Card slot. Now that it is illegal to root any device, even your own, there really isn't much point in owning any of these things. I am sure that somehow these things will phone home to Big Brother and if they don't get a certain signal, it alerts them you have rooted it. I most certainly figure a stupid tablet isn't worth prison time so back it goes.
You will go to the slammer for 20 years and be put in the same cell with two mass murderers.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2012, 10:10 AM   #141
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
On November 20th, I will probably forget about the larger nook when I'm playing with the large Fire at best buy or elsewhere.

In the meantime, I'll be thrown out of b&n shortly hogging the nooks. I try to store hop buying more time.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:35 AM   #142
techie6
techie6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techie6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techie6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techie6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techie6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techie6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techie6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techie6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techie6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techie6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techie6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I have the 32GB HD +. It's a nice tablet, but of course you can't download anything on it unless you have a credit card and it comes from BN. I did try the method above and it doesn't work you get a message stating, "Install blocked. For security, your NOOK is set to block installation of applications not obtained from the NOOK App Store."

I need a free PDF reader and how I can load apps I've paid for on my rooted Nook color tablet.
techie6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:01 PM   #143
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
This why adb access is significant:
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...eo/#more-41797

It opens the door wide for rooting.
Which means easy sideloading.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:39 AM   #144
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Dear Author has a hands-on review:
http://dearauthor.com/ebooks/review-...=Google+Reader

Quote:
Barnes & Noble has a pair of excellent devices on their hands with the Nook HD and HD+, hardware wise they’re right there in the top-tier. My only hesitation with them is the limited Nook ‘eco system’ combined with the devices’ extremely locked down nature (since you can’t sideload apps like other devices & B&N has so few). If you’re looking for a tablet strictly for reading I don’t think you’ll have any complaints however the lack of music store (you can sideload MP3′s), limited video store and small number of apps available are something to be aware of before making your decision if you’re doing more than reading. If those limitations don’t bother you these devices’ are definitely worth a look. If those limitations are something that concern you I’d look at one of the iPads, a Nexus device or the various Kindle Fire models and see if one of those is a better fit.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:30 AM   #145
oj829
Groupie
oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kobo Arc(32GB), Kobo Arc 7HD, Kobo Glo HD,NookHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Dumb question, but one I THOUGHT would be handled in this review:

Can you "sideload" actual - books - that have not been infected with Adobe DRM? At that point in the review where I thought he would say something about it, the author points out all the wonderful options for books: Overdrive, B&N DRM, Adobe DRM, a newfangled 3M Library DRM... but I'm not yet seeing that dropping DRM-free books on the HD filesystem will work like it did on the Nook Color.
oj829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:50 AM   #146
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oj829 View Post
Dumb question, but one I THOUGHT would be handled in this review:

Can you "sideload" actual - books - that have not been infected with Adobe DRM? At that point in the review where I thought he would say something about it, the author points out all the wonderful options for books: Overdrive, B&N DRM, Adobe DRM, a newfangled 3M Library DRM... but I'm not yet seeing that dropping DRM-free books on the HD filesystem will work like it did on the Nook Color.
If it is allowed on the older tablets (and it is) there is no reason to assume it won't be on the HD line. For one thing, they've moved *away* from the old partitioning scheme that reserved the bulk of onboard storage for commercial content.

But yes, an explicit mention that you *can* sideload content even if you can't sideload apps would be reassuring. Maybe the next review to pop up...
Old 11-13-2012, 08:52 AM   #147
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
The local Target have the Nook HDs at a discount. The HD+ is $16.00 off the $299.00 price. I picked one up. The only one they had.
The other Nook HD's were also discounted, but I did not look to see how much off they are.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:13 AM   #148
oj829
Groupie
oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kobo Arc(32GB), Kobo Arc 7HD, Kobo Glo HD,NookHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
If it is allowed on the older tablets (and it is) there is no reason to assume it won't be on the HD line. For one thing, they've moved *away* from the old partitioning scheme that reserved the bulk of onboard storage for commercial content.
True, but with the Nook Color at least, you could not sideload books from the SD Card. You had to mount the NC and drop the books into a particular location on main storage, or they would never get into your Library.

Now, as I ponder the reality of multiple-profiles on a Nook HD, "security", etc, and the requirement of at Least Windows Media Player 11 to communicate with the Nook HD's main storage, I'm thinking that if this ends up in my house, I'll either need to drop non-DRM'ed books on the SD Card (which never worked before in NookLand), or teach him to use Dropbox in the browser.

(And I say this after having found the User's Guide online. It's still not clear.)
oj829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:12 PM   #149
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oj829 View Post
Now, as I ponder the reality of multiple-profiles on a Nook HD, "security", etc, and the requirement of at Least Windows Media Player 11 to communicate with the Nook HD's main storage, I'm thinking that if this ends up in my house, I'll either need to drop non-DRM'ed books on the SD Card (which never worked before in NookLand), or teach him to use Dropbox in the browser.
SD cards are cheap enough that it might pay to have each user bring in their own SD card. (If the profiles work properly, each one should have its own separate library index.)
Old 11-13-2012, 06:23 PM   #150
Zoshka
Connoisseur
Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 & 4, Nook Tablet
Speaking of sideloading, does anyone know if you can play sideloaded videos? I played with one at Target, and saw the movie trailers they have loaded on it, but it would nice to have that beautiful screen be able to play my own movies. The Tablet and Color had a horrible movie player that would never keep my place in a movie I was watching, and the music player was just as awful, so you'd think with the competition from Google, Amazon, and Apple in the 7" arena, they'd at least try to improve on that multimedia functionality. Then you'd think that with a brilliant screen and faster processor, they'd finally get some action/racing apps, like the other tablets have, or at least provide occasional discount pricing on all the $3 apps, as Apple and others do.
Zoshka is offline   Reply With Quote