Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-12-2010, 09:28 AM   #1
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
An Odd Advantage for the K3

I bought the dual mode Kindle 3 for travel. When I got up here in Maine, I discovered no 3G network (AT&T) signal at the cottage we were staying at. (Even my son's VZW phone has only a 1X data signal; my VZW smartphone does show Ev some times. Kindle's 611 page shows -95 dB or there about.)

HOWEVER, the cottage has a Wifi network (otherwise, I wouldn't be typing this). Hey, presto, and I connected to the network, downloaded the next book in the series I'm reading, and back to the hard work of relaxation while looking out over the deck to the harbor.

I never expected to use Wifi when traveling. Go figure.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:52 AM   #2
jlmwrite
Zealot
jlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Samsung Tab S8.4, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tingle View Post
Hey, presto, and I connected to the network, downloaded the next book in the series I'm reading, and back to the hard work of relaxation while looking out over the deck to the harbor.
Jack, good on you! That sounds like my kinda vacation bonus too. Now that I have a Kindle, there's no more picking out only the 4 or so paperbacks that fit into my carry-on bag and rationing them over the length of my vacation.
jlmwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2010, 09:57 AM   #3
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tingle View Post
I never expected to use Wifi when traveling. Go figure.
Good to hear that you were successful, Jack. But I'm surprised you're surprised. Almost everywhere you go these days, it seems you're never far from a wifi connection (at least, that's true in Europe and North America; can't speak for the rest of the world).

Many hotels, motels and B&Bs offer wifi as a matter of course. Some don't even bother to mention it in their advertising. They just assume you'd expect it. So I don't see why a rented cottage should be different.

Hope you're enjoying Maine. I've had some great hiking there over the years (but I can't eat the lobsters).
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:13 AM   #4
jlmwrite
Zealot
jlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Samsung Tab S8.4, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
Almost everywhere you go these days, it seems you're never far from a wifi connection (at least, that's true in Europe and North America; can't speak for the rest of the world).
Not so much in south Georgia where my parents live, and certainly not in the Rocky Mountain National Forest areas where we often camp!
jlmwrite is offline   Reply With Quote