Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-04-2011, 06:32 PM   #676
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Micah, will you consider adding the usual suspects in terms of free sources, and give the option to add yer own (the latter at the very least). I'd like to see the Baen Free Library in there, as well as Munseys and Project Gutenberg. Those on top of Feedbooks would be a nice rounded selection. The capacity to add your own will also give those of us unable to access our books through calibre, the option to stick them online somewhere and access that way.

Can't help re the upgrade to iOS5, I didnt have the reader on board until after the upgrade when I was looking for a Stanza replacement.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:10 PM   #677
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude
Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Micah, will you consider adding the usual suspects in terms of free sources, and give the option to add yer own (the latter at the very least). I'd like to see the Baen Free Library in there, as well as Munseys and Project Gutenberg. Those on top of Feedbooks would be a nice rounded selection. The capacity to add your own will also give those of us unable to access our books through calibre, the option to stick them online somewhere and access that way.

Can't help re the upgrade to iOS5, I didnt have the reader on board until after the upgrade when I was looking for a Stanza replacement.
Yes, supporting user added OPDS is a goal. We have had a vision where we could provide a search feature across all OPDS feeds so you could find out where the book you are looking for is available, and to do that we handle OPDS parsing on the server side rather than the client. So what you see in Get Books is an dynamically generated HTML5 app, reading binary data streams from our server that transforms the OPDS into binary Java Objects. OK, way too geeky, but long story short, supporting all OPDS feeds in the world is a bigger effort for us than it might sound. Working on it...

Last edited by Micah; 11-04-2011 at 10:11 PM. Reason: typo
Micah is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2011, 12:21 AM   #678
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah View Post
... OK, way too geeky, but long story short, supporting all OPDS feeds in the world is a bigger effort for us than it might sound. Working on it...
Not too geeky, but tis is a gooid reason to go for user-added. i know which repositories I want to browse but might not always know which book or author I am in the mood for (today, tomorrow, whenever..) I've read a shedload of books over the past 55 years, and bought just as many in dead tree format, its nice to have them in e-form as well, but who the heck can remember every book ever read or contemplated. Thats why being able to search (a la that Ebook Search app) is not entirely helpful for me - my 50c
Old 11-05-2011, 12:52 AM   #679
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude
Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Not too geeky, but tis is a gooid reason to go for user-added. i know which repositories I want to browse but might not always know which book or author I am in the mood for (today, tomorrow, whenever..) I've read a shedload of books over the past 55 years, and bought just as many in dead tree format, its nice to have them in e-form as well, but who the heck can remember every book ever read or contemplated. Thats why being able to search (a la that Ebook Search app) is not entirely helpful for me - my 50c
Our ambitions on book search go *way* beyond searching for a title, author - but I hear you. We complexified our approach, and that makes us slow. In that way it sucks. But some days, I just can't help shooting for the moon.
Old 11-05-2011, 04:39 AM   #680
kyteflyer
Wizard

Quote:
But some days, I just can't help shooting for the moon.
Remember K.I.S.S.

Advert
Old 11-05-2011, 12:32 PM   #681
Valkrider
Addict
Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, iPadAir2, PRS600, iPhone 6, iPod, Palm TX
Micah, I don't know if you have looked at the eBookS reader app, it looks identical to your app and it doesn't suffer the lack of response that your app does. Is it a forked development or what?
Valkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 01:53 PM   #682
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
I was working on the design for collections UI today. i think y'all will really like it. (I hope)
Silly question: could this address the indexing issues with large libraries (i.e., it would only process the current collection, or uncollected books, so if I had a bunch of small collections it would be more responsive)?
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:28 PM   #683
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkrider View Post
Micah, I don't know if you have looked at the eBookS reader app, it looks identical to your app and it doesn't suffer the lack of response that your app does. Is it a forked development or what?
exact some code base. Go figure.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:30 PM   #684
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATimson View Post
Silly question: could this address the indexing issues with large libraries (i.e., it would only process the current collection, or uncollected books, so if I had a bunch of small collections it would be more responsive)?
Well, when you side load a bunch of files, it takes a long time to process them into the library. This wont' change (due to collections, plan to look at that issue separately).
Old 11-05-2011, 09:31 PM   #685
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude

Quote:
exact some code base. Go figure.
actually, now that I think of it, there are differences. We fixed the jailbroken issue for eBooks. There were major downsides to that fix, so we chose not to use it in Bluefire.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:43 PM   #686
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
Micah (and Bluefire team)... Thought you'd like to know that I have compared the rendering/layout of a particular book using most (if not all) of the apps being discussed here in the forum. ADE and Bluefire Reader were the absolute winners. No other app was even close. Centered text, scene breaks, drop caps (and other "strange" setups) were all handled best by BlueFire Reader. ... But then you knew that..... So I just wanted to say "Well done." (And ask for "Arial" in a future release.) Bluefire is now my reader!
1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:44 PM   #687
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkrider View Post
eBookS quits every time you switch to a different app rather than remaining running in the Background. Interesting that it also solves the "lag" issue you were having.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:49 PM   #688
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1611mac View Post
Micah (and Bluefire team)... Thought you'd like to know that I have compared the rendering/layout of a particular book using most (if not all) of the apps being discussed here in the forum. ADE and Bluefire Reader were the absolute winners. No other app was even close. Centered text, scene breaks, drop caps (and other "strange" setups) were all handled best by BlueFire Reader. ... But then you knew that..... So I just wanted to say "Well done." (And ask for "Arial" in a future release.) Bluefire is now my reader!
Thanks. And I will try to add Arial if possible in a future update.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:49 PM   #689
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Well, when you side load a bunch of files, it takes a long time to process them into the library. This wont' change (due to collections, plan to look at that issue separately).
Even when I hadn't newly loaded books, it seemed like it took a while when the application (re)started to process the library when I had more than a handful at a time.
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:51 PM   #690
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1611mac View Post
If you get a chance to write a review on iTunes, that would be superdy duper cool of you.