Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-20-2013, 11:21 PM   #661
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV PW4 PW3 PW2
For those who aren't jailbroken using 5.3.3 firmware, there are quite a few steps to follow:
DuckieTigger was so close to an easy non-jailbreak solution. Alas, there was a minor error in a Font Config file that prevents it from working:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...25#post2430925

Whether the error was intentional or not is anyone's guess.

Last edited by JimmyR; 02-21-2013 at 02:59 PM.
JimmyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:23 PM   #662
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy-Jim View Post
For those who aren't jailbroken using 5.3.3 firmware, there are quite a few steps to follow:
DuckieTigger was so close to an easy non-jailbreak solution. Alas, there was a minor error in a Font Config file that prevents it from working:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...25#post2430925

Whether the error was intentional or not is anyone's guess.
Okaaay.....now I am intimidated. I think I will just keep it how it is.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:28 PM   #663
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, sorry. That's why we're disappointed about the non-working config file.

I really wasn't trying to intimidate anyone; just wanted to be clear on the steps involved.

I know it looks like a lot- and it is- but it's just a matter of dragging an update to the Kindle, Menu > Update, repeat for next file.

I do think it's too much to ask to accomplish so little.

Last edited by JimmyR; 02-20-2013 at 11:51 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:56 PM   #664
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy-Jim View Post
I really wasn't trying to intimidate anyone; just wanted to be clear on the steps involved.
You really do know how to bully people around. Need to be more gentle. Eventually the benefits will outweigh the hassle of jailbreaking...
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:16 AM   #665
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ

I'm not a bully, lol. :P

Maybe something else will turn up...
Old 02-21-2013, 05:40 AM   #666
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post

Good news though for everybody that is jailbroke: Jimmy-Jim wrote the button. See his post.
And it makes the list so much neater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
It's just a bit time consumming but very easy (though I had one step less to do as my PW was shipped with 5.3.1) For me JB is fairly essential Plenty of clever and useful stuff being made to work with KUAL too.

Last edited by Yolina; 02-21-2013 at 05:43 AM.
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:47 AM   #667
xtine
Addict
xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolina View Post
And it makes the list so much neater
It's just a bit time consumming but very easy (though I had one step less to do as my PW was shipped with 5.3.1) For me JB is fairly essential Plenty of clever and useful stuff being made to work with KUAL too.
Just jailbroke my PW too. The ones by ixtab were pretty straightforward but I must have spent half the day trying to get the screensaver hack to work (more my fault than the developer's ). Like Yolina said, time-consuming but it's so nice to have the cover of the book I'm currently reading as the screensaver. Makes it feel even more like a real book

Will tackle KUAL another day. Maybe tomorrow
xtine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:26 AM   #668
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
It is official now: There is positively no way to hide extra fonts from USE_ALT_FONTS on PW unless you jailbreak. The button I intended to write for KUAL did not happen either as I was busy exploring a loophole to hide the fonts without jailbreak. Turned out to be non-functional.

Good news though for everybody that is jailbroke: Jimmy-Jim wrote the button. See his post.
Thanks for trying, Duckie.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:45 PM   #669
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post

Blossom - it's way easier to jailbreak the PW than to develop your own custom fonts for the PW. All you have to do is drag and drop the bin files (just like you drag and drop the fonts), followed by choosing update kindle from the settings menu (just like the font restarts). Repeat for each bin file and done. It's super easy.

On a side note, I made custom palatino and charis fonts. Both IMHO were not as good as caecilia. I will wait for JSWolf's charis release version to try that font once more. For fun, I was also thinking of trying to do a mod of caslon which I have hanging around my system.
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:58 PM   #670
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Blossom, if I can jailbreak my PW, you can do it. I only installed the collection manager and the JBPatch (I think that's what it's called), so I've got narrower margins and reasonable hyphenation. I haven't done anything fancy like the screen saver hack. If you follow the directions *exactly*, it works a treat, and really isn't terribly hard.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:09 PM   #671
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
Blossom, if I can jailbreak my PW, you can do it. I only installed the collection manager and the JBPatch (I think that's what it's called), so I've got narrower margins and reasonable hyphenation. I haven't done anything fancy like the screen saver hack. If you follow the directions *exactly*, it works a treat, and really isn't terribly hard.
It's the risk involved. I love my PW and perfect non color screen so I think I will wait.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:35 PM   #672
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by slantybard View Post
Blossom - it's way easier to jailbreak the PW than to develop your own custom fonts for the PW. All you have to do is drag and drop the bin files (just like you drag and drop the fonts), followed by choosing update kindle from the settings menu (just like the font restarts). Repeat for each bin file and done. It's super easy.

On a side note, I made custom palatino and charis fonts. Both IMHO were not as good as caecilia. I will wait for JSWolf's charis release version to try that font once more. For fun, I was also thinking of trying to do a mod of caslon which I have hanging around my system.
I do have a set of Charis SIL releases. I just have to get access to the Kindle Touch to fix the larger Charis SIL. I've decided to just do one version after I fix it for both ADE and Kinde

Try the following...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=184056

Last edited by JSWolf; 07-18-2016 at 03:51 PM.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:20 AM   #673
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Thank you for trying, DuckieTigger!!
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:50 AM   #674
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by slantybard View Post
Blossom - it's way easier to jailbreak the PW than to develop your own custom fonts for the PW.
Totally support this. "Custom fonts developing" sounds like black magic for me, who explored Kindle inside a lot.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:35 AM   #675
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I do have a set of Charis SIL releases. I just have to get access to the Kindle Touch to fix the larger Charis SIL. I've decided to just do one version after I fix it for both ADE and Kinde

Try the following...

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?64cse2dshispx08
Jon - How does this differ from your CharisCompact that you posted previously, or is it the same? The compact version is very nice and looks great on the PW. :thumbup:
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote