Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 06-30-2008, 10:57 AM   #16
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Then he should re-install using Build 538 - which does a full format and re-install, including files that aren't included in the transitional updates. When he's done that, he can re-install Build 708.

I don't really think doing a full format on the internal memory of the Cybook is a 'good thing'. Really, I don't.

Note that I'm not saying I've tried it, just that I don't think it will work. And if it doesn't and he ends up with a 'bricked' Cybook, he'll then have to shell out money to have Bookeen repair/replace it.
I have tried it (with an older firmware) and there was no problems. I built an ext3 file system (what in the Windows world is called formatting) on the internal partition and when that did not work and I got the squares there was no problem building an FAT32 file system on the partition.

Why should it be bricked just because you format the partition holding the system files?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 12:03 PM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Provided you are able to make a backup copy of the "system" folder first, you've got absolutely nothing to lose by trying a reformat. If it doesn't work, THEN you can always reflash with 538. You've lost nothing by trying, and it's a heck of a lot easier than a double reflash.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 04:01 PM   #18
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Provided you are able to make a backup copy of the "system" folder first, you've got absolutely nothing to lose by trying a reformat. If it doesn't work, THEN you can always reflash with 538. You've lost nothing by trying, and it's a heck of a lot easier than a double reflash.
Of course the problem the user is having might be extra files in the System folder which would not get fixed. How big should the system folder be in the backup archive?

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 02:34 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Damn - just found that I've come to work and left my Gen3 at home . From memory, I think it should be a bit under 10MB, but you might want to check that yourself.
Old 07-01-2008, 05:24 AM   #20
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Damn - just found that I've come to work and left my Gen3 at home . From memory, I think it should be a bit under 10MB, but you might want to check that yourself.
Seems correct:
Code:
emil51:/var/www/cybook/system-1.1-685/system# du -s -k *
9932    icudt36l.dat
8       user
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 12:12 PM   #21
hmls
Enthusiast
hmls began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook
Hold on a minute, KLausPetersen might be on the right track here...

On your Mac, have you emptied the trashcan while your Cybook is connected? I know for a fact that Macs keep deleted information on USB sticks, SD cards, etc until you empty the trash. So if you have deleted a bunch of stuff, but not emptied the trash, you would not see any more memory become available.
hmls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 01:06 PM   #22
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmls View Post

On your Mac, have you emptied the trashcan while your Cybook is connected? I know for a fact that Macs keep deleted information on USB sticks, SD cards, etc until you empty the trash. So if you have deleted a bunch of stuff, but not emptied the trash, you would not see any more memory become available.
Egad! A MacFlaw!!! I never thought I'd see the day when a MacSystem had a flaw as illogical as what's shoved down the throats of us Micro$loth Slaves!

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 01:20 PM   #23
hmls
Enthusiast

Hmmm.... well I suppose it depends on your perspective. It could be considered a flaw when you can't figure out why your card is full when you've just deleted a bunch of stuff or it could be a life saver if you accidentally delete a bunch of files and manage to get them back.

Last edited by hmls; 07-02-2008 at 01:25 PM.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:46 AM   #24
Kingston
Addict
Kingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle, Iliad v2 & v1,Gen 3 from NAEB, Sony PRS-505, Jetbook
Quote:

Sheer genius! I emptied it out thinking it a waste of time, but voila!!

I now have 42.6 Megs of space on my Cybook internal memory. I'se back in business.

Thanks guys!!
Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 03:57 PM   #25
hmls
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingston View Post
Sheer genius! I emptied it out thinking it a waste of time, but voila!!

I now have 42.6 Megs of space on my Cybook internal memory. I'se back in business.

Thanks guys!!
No problem, glad I could help. It's nice when the solution is a simple one, isn't it? I wonder how many other Mac users out there don't know this little tidbit. I think I only know because I read most of Mac OS X Tiger: The Missing Manual when I switched over from Windows.
Old 07-03-2008, 04:59 PM   #26
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
No problem, glad I could help. It's nice when the solution is a simple one, isn't it? I wonder how many other Mac users out there don't know this little tidbit. I think I only know because I read most of Mac OS X Tiger: The Missing Manual when I switched over from Windows.
So... Did you just install OSX Tiger onto your Windows machine, or did you go out and buy a Mac?

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 05:02 PM   #27
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:

Do you think that's the best book for a newcomer? I am also a new Mac owner. So, I was looking for a book to get up to speed. Is there any Apple documentation? I did see something on the root of the hard drive, a PDF but I haven't looked at it yet.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 09:03 PM   #28
hmls
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

Do you think that's the best book for a newcomer? I am also a new Mac owner. So, I was looking for a book to get up to speed. Is there any Apple documentation? I did see something on the root of the hard drive, a PDF but I haven't looked at it yet.

BOb
I personally found it to be a very useful book (and there is one out for Leopard too if you have a fairly new Mac). I thought it was very well written and easy to understand. It is a big book that covers pretty much everything including all of the standard applications that the OS comes with. It is also a handy reference to have around for the little stuff like how to do a screen capture (so much cooler than Windows btw if you haven't discovered that yet) or force a program to quit.

Hope that helps.

Heather
Old 07-04-2008, 04:26 AM   #29
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Quote:
I wonder how many other Mac users out there don't know this little tidbit.
Ummm.. I may be missing the point here, but while Mac OS has had this forever, I think, every PC I've ever used since Win 95 has exactly this same 'feature' - it's just how the wastebasket works; anything put into it can be removed if you need to, any time until you empty it - and only when you empty it are the files erased and the space freed up on your HD (or whatever other media you're using). Certainly XP works this way, and I'm pretty sure Vista does too...

Cheers, Pete.

Edit: Or does windows treat external drives differently?

Last edited by petermillard; 07-04-2008 at 05:05 AM. Reason: thought of something to add!
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 11:55 AM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by petermillard View Post
Ummm.. I may be missing the point here, but while Mac OS has had this forever, I think, every PC I've ever used since Win 95 has exactly this same 'feature' - it's just how the wastebasket works;
Not on removeable media. There's no "Trash Can" on those under Windows.