Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 05-04-2011, 09:44 AM   #1
Rhonlynn
Rhonlynn began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Talking Nook color vs Kindle

Looked at B and N yesterday, and I am entirely convinced that the Nook color does nearly what my Ipod touch does, but is meant for book reading, and only has 138 available apps.

This maybe overkill, but does anyone have a Nookcolor, and the 2nd generation Kindle? Nook color can do so much more. Is having 2 too much? I absolutely love the Nook color.

Last edited by Rhonlynn; 05-04-2011 at 09:45 AM. Reason: change email status notification
Rhonlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:25 AM   #2
DiannaInVA
Enthusiast
DiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonlynn View Post
This maybe overkill, but does anyone have a Nookcolor, and the 2nd generation Kindle? Nook color can do so much more. Is having 2 too much? I absolutely love the Nook color.
I don't have a Kindle, but I do have both the e-ink Nook and the Nook Color. I love them both for different reasons. I prefer to read on the e-ink, especially outside in the sun. But inside, I can use the Nook Color to surf the web or read magazines. It's also better for reading in low-light situations. Technically you can use a book light for Kindle/e-ink nook, but I've never liked doing that--it was impossible to get the reflection out of the way and still have enough light.
DiannaInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:48 AM   #3
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
I have a Sony reader and just bought a Nook Color.

I love them both - I prefer the Sony for reading, and I've got the Nook Color set up as an Android tablet and am still discovering all the things it can do (you're not limited to the B&N app store if you root or modify it).

That said, I am reading a book on the NC right now - some Google books are not available in epub, but they are readable on the NC through the Google Books app. Works quite well! and gives me access to many more books, which is all good.

So get both, if you can afford it - each does what it does very well.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:04 AM   #4
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiannaInVA View Post
I don't have a Kindle, but I do have both the e-ink Nook and the Nook Color. I love them both for different reasons. I prefer to read on the e-ink, especially outside in the sun. But inside, I can use the Nook Color to surf the web or read magazines. It's also better for reading in low-light situations. Technically you can use a book light for Kindle/e-ink nook, but I've never liked doing that--it was impossible to get the reflection out of the way and still have enough light.
+1. I have Sony & Kindle e-ink readers and the NOOKcolor. I think the e-ink and LCD complement each other well. I split their uses similar to this list too. NC for web, magazines & low-light. E-ink for outside and long book reading sessions. I also prefer my newspaper subscriptions on e-ink.

If you love the NC and really want one, then go for it. If you decide that 2 ereaders is too much, then you can always sell or gift one later.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:23 AM   #5
Rhonlynn

I love my Kindle for what it does, and a few times, I was even able to do a very primitive Facebook check in, when I had no phone or internet, in a remote location. Kindle does what it does, and I've had it for 2 years.

My Ipod touch does what it does, and I've had it for a couple of years, but I liek Nook for the ability to be a tablet, vs the way out there price of the Tmobile android tablet. I played with the Nook color a long time yesterday, and asked plenty of questions. I have a very good feeling about it. I have a Mytouch,and it has the Nook software on it, but nothing like reading 29 words, and flipping to the next page, lol. I also have the kindle software on it.

I like it that the accessories, and everything is at Barnes and Noble. I always seem to be able to locate a Barnes and Noble. The wifi is alright., exactly like my Ipod Touch or an Ipad. ..if I got into a remote location, again, I could rely on my Mytouch, now.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:52 AM   #6
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Looked at B and N yesterday, and I am entirely convinced that the Nook color does nearly what my Ipod touch does, but is meant for book reading, and only has 138 available apps.

Yes I have a K2 and an nook color. When I first got the nook this Christmas the K2 was a much better reading experience. However Amazon has made many upgrades to the Kindle 4 Android (K4A) app that have made the reading experience much better on the nook.

When I first got my nook I very much perfected reading on the K2, however now I exclusively read on my Android devices(phone/nook).

The one area the nook really falls flat is on battery life and reading outside. You can compensate reading outside by increasing the brightness and reading in the shade, but this then kills the battery life even quicker.

That said they can really work well together if say most of your books are Kindle purchased. Then both devices could utilize whispersync. You could use the nook for reading at home and the kindle for reading about.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 12:01 PM   #7
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
....I have a Mytouch,and it has the Nook software on it, but nothing like reading 29 words, and flipping to the next page, lol. I also have the kindle software on it.

I like it that the accessories, and everything is at Barnes and Noble. I always seem to be able to locate a Barnes and Noble. The wifi is alright., exactly like my Ipod Touch or an Ipad. ..if I got into a remote location, again, I could rely on my Mytouch, now....
If you buy a nook and install CM7 (Gingerbread 2.3) you will get a very similar experience to the MyTouch what you lose is some B&N features like reading in the store, Magazines, and Kids books.

I have a Vibrant, the 2.2 Froyo update from T-mobile gives my phone Mobile Access Point so my nook effectively has 3G anywhere I go. Point is your Mytouch might have a similar feature.

Since I've upgrade my nook to CM7 I rarely use the phone for anything but a phone.....wow that was a strange.

=X=
Old 05-04-2011, 12:21 PM   #8
Rhonlynn

I shouldn't ask this until I get it...then I should ask this...how would I install cm7? Is that the android phone software? would I do that through the sd card, how do I find the file?

I could use the nook for anything but a phone and my phone camera.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:48 PM   #9
Rhonlynn

Found it...my son has a Vibrant, but cracked the screen. I love the software. Can I put it into my mytouch? I found the website.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:41 PM   #10
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
I shouldn't ask this until I get it...then I should ask this...how would I install cm7? Is that the android phone software? would I do that through the sd card, how do I find the file?

Android is open source software (cyanogenmod) is a community that is releasing this software for any giving android device. CM7 is Cyanogenmod version 7. The folks developing the CM port for the nook have installed tablet like features to make the nook act more like a tablet.

Quote:
Found it...my son has a Vibrant, but cracked the screen. I love the software. Can I put it into my mytouch? I found the website.
You cannot put the Vibrant software on your My Touch phone. The drivers for the Vibrant are different. Instead you have to find a ROM* that is made for your phone.

* A ROM in simplistic terms is like an OS install file.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:06 PM   #11
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:

This is how I installed CM7 on an SD card:

http://www.anamardoll.com/2011/04/er...e-on-nook.html
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:18 PM   #12
Rhonlynn

That is so cool. I can manage it. As soon as I get my Nook color, and play with it, this is probably what I will do.

Tags
kindle 2, nook color