Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 05-03-2013, 07:15 PM   #1
Gian Carlo M.
Gian Carlo M. began at the beginning.

Device: none
Sigil 0.7 - Unable to start with WindowsXP

I can't migrate from Sigil 0.6 to Sigil 0.7. While Sigil 0.6.2 works OK on my PC with Windows XP SP2, I'm not able to use Sigil 0.7. I tried with versions 0.7.0, 0.7.1, 0.7.2. I also tried with portable versions. Unfortunately the program doesn't start, I can't imagine why.
Did anybody experience the same problem and find a solution?
Thank you.
Gian Carlo M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:23 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gian Carlo M. View Post
I can't migrate from Sigil 0.6 to Sigil 0.7. While Sigil 0.6.2 works OK on my PC with Windows XP SP2, I'm not able to use Sigil 0.7. I tried with versions 0.7.0, 0.7.1, 0.7.2. I also tried with portable versions. Unfortunately the program doesn't start, I can't imagine why.
Thank you.
SP2? SP3 has been out for years and ONLY SP3 can get current M$ security patches. (SP2 is now unsupported).

Sigil 7 uses QT5... That may be your issue. One of the building blocks may not be compatible with SP2.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:54 PM   #3
yekim54
What the Dog Saw
yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Surface3
Quote:
Thank you.
I have 3 PCs with Windows XP SP3 and Sigil 0.7.2 only runs on one of them...the one with 2 GB RAM. The other two PCs only have 1 GB RAM and Sigil 0.7.2 will not start. How much RAM do you have on your PC?
yekim54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:22 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Another known NO GO is old AMD processors that don't have SSE2

Last edited by theducks; 05-04-2013 at 12:42 PM. Reason: added the 2 to SSE
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:31 AM   #5
Gian Carlo M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yekim54 View Post
I have 3 PCs with Windows XP SP3 and Sigil 0.7.2 only runs on one of them...the one with 2 GB RAM. The other two PCs only have 1 GB RAM and Sigil 0.7.2 will not start. How much RAM do you have on your PC?
1.25 GB, unfortunately. Thank you.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:38 AM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I really doubt it is a real memory issue. What processor does the PC have?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:38 AM   #7
Gian Carlo M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Another known NO GO is old AMD processors that don't have SSE
My AMD has SSE. About SP3 you're right. I didn't upgrade XP to that service packs since I'm not sure some old programs of mine work correctly.

But perhaps the problem is RAM, as suggested by yekim54.

Thank you.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:43 AM   #8
Gian Carlo M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I really doubt it is a real memory issue. What processor does the PC have?
AMD Sempron 2200+, 1.5 GB RAM. Thank you.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:00 AM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
SSE isn't enough. Your processor must support SSE2. But there must be something else in play here, because the SSE2 requirement has been around since version 0.3, and you've indicated you were able to use version 0.6. So unless you were patching and compiling your own version of 0.6, it's probably not the SSE2 problem. That doesn't mean that Qt5 hasn't introduced some other special instruction code that your processor is lacking, however.

You could try Dependecy Walker (depends.exe) for Windows and see if it reveals any missing dependencies, but it probably won't help if it's a processor instruction issue.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:10 PM   #10
townsend
Enthusiast
townsend got an A in P-Chem.townsend got an A in P-Chem.townsend got an A in P-Chem.townsend got an A in P-Chem.townsend got an A in P-Chem.townsend got an A in P-Chem.townsend got an A in P-Chem.townsend got an A in P-Chem.townsend got an A in P-Chem.townsend got an A in P-Chem.townsend got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Sigil
You might want to try the Sigil Portable version. It can be installed anywhere, including a thumb drive. No dependencies or registry entries needed. And the current version is up to date: 7.2.

townsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:14 PM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Significant to note that that's not an "official" Sigil release. Not saying there's anything at all wrong with it ... just saying it should be noted and the appropriate measure taken.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:20 PM   #12
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
And if the processor of the user does not support SSE2 ....... Need I say more!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:42 PM   #13
Gian Carlo M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by townsend View Post
You might want to try the Sigil Portable version. It can be installed anywhere, including a thumb drive. No dependencies or registry entries needed. And the current version is up to date: 7.2.
Unfortunately portable releases 0.7.0, 0.7.1, and 0.7.2 do not start.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:50 PM   #14
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
AMD Sempron 2200+, 1.5 GB RAM. Thank you.
The 2200+ does not support SSE2.

Any relationship between the amount of RAM and whether Sigil runs or not is possibly just that older machines tend not to have so much RAM installed but also do not support SSE2. So small RAM and no SSE2 support tend to go together.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:48 PM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

But the Xerces component of Sigil also requires SSE2--has for a long time. The OP indicated he was able to run Sigil 0.6.x on that same hardware--which should be impossible unless he was running a patched, custom build of Sigil (unless Sigil's Xerces component is configured in the Windows build without the SSE2 requirements that the Linux config has).

But regardless of all that, the bottom line is: no SSE2... no Sigil 0.7.x.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 05-04-2013 at 07:55 PM.

Tags
sigil 0.7