Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-19-2009, 08:05 PM   #1
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Astak first prototype of Mentor Intrique TOUCH

Dear All:

Hours ago we got our first look at the new Mentor "Intrique". We are impressed as it has removed all the tiny little buttons on the side. moved the Omni-Direction and OK wheel to the middle of the bottom for both left and right handers, and has really well placed advance/regress page turn buttons on the top edges on both sides about halfway up.

It has Touchscreen. What I LOVE is that the resolution remains bright and clear.

Please read the story on my Blog: www.robertbEZ.blogspot.com

This is not a full review as we just received it. But... I think you will find the preliminary review "INTRIQUING"!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:22 PM   #2
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
PICS!!
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2009, 08:27 PM   #3
derrell
Jack O' Apes
derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Nokia N810, EZ-Reader, HTC Droid Incredible, Archos 70
It's sort of a nit but guess I'll pick it anyway. Why did they go to a micro sd card? My paws have a pretty hard time managing those tiny little things. There is a point where smaller really isn't better in some cases. As the man with the parrot said pics please, if your agreement with netronics allows it.
derrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:32 PM   #4
Cabe
Connoisseur
Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPhone
SD Cards are about as small as my meat hooks allow too, although as a photographer if its not Compact Flash I usually don't want to know

Side note.....anyone else here think most eReaders too thin without some kind of cover? I hate holding my 505 without it as I find I have to hold it in some kind of death grip.
Cabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 09:00 PM   #5
derrell
Jack O' Apes
derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Nokia N810, EZ-Reader, HTC Droid Incredible, Archos 70
Yep too thin and very uncomfortable to hold for extended reading with one hand. The cover on my EZ-Reader helps some but my old eb-1150 is much easier to hang onto.
derrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2009, 09:27 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffonwing View Post
PICS!!
Here is the Netronix web site with all the new products they are working on.

http://www.netronixinc.com/product_e-book.htm

Right click and select view image for a bigger view of the pictures.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 09:40 AM   #7
cheese bogart
Connoisseur
cheese bogart has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: prs-505 (Silver), Ipad
Robertb on your blog you state the following:

"The device has a replaceable and rechargeable battery!! It also is unique in taking a micro-SD card instead of regular SD."

Just to let you know the up coming Wizpac Txtr will also be using a micro-SD card. Thought you might want to alter it, just in case people come back to you saying that you had mis-informed them.
cheese bogart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 09:57 AM   #8
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by derrell View Post
It's sort of a nit but guess I'll pick it anyway. Why did they go to a micro sd card? My paws have a pretty hard time managing those tiny little things. There is a point where smaller really isn't better in some cases. As the man with the parrot said pics please, if your agreement with netronics allows it.
I suspect they may have gone to the mirco SD Card so they could add wireless/blue tooth to the mother board.

I agree that smaller does not always equal better. I'd rather have the larger cards SD Cards than wireless.
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 10:35 AM   #9
manifestor
Connoisseur
manifestor began at the beginning.

Device: Astak EZreader, Aluratek Libre Pro
I never liked the mini SD, let alone the micro one.

Last edited by manifestor; 06-20-2009 at 10:37 AM.
manifestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 10:59 AM   #10
DG25
Enthusiast
DG25 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Video and pics please.
DG25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 11:40 AM   #11
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
How could you write about this and not take a single picture? The only valid reason I can think of is that there is some kind of NDA.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 11:52 AM   #12
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Looks nice, although I confess I prefer to grab the devices on the inferior corner, not on the center bottom.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 12:27 PM   #13
Lbooker
Addict
Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Interesting!
Since you are open to the suggestions of the members of this forum: here are my personal ideas for the ideal reader:
- 7.5" screen in the size of a 6" screen device
- put the controls on the sides and (little revolution) on the back; it would only take a few days to get used to buttons on the back (without looking at them); of course they would need to be hard buttons like those on the Hanlin V3 to avoid pressing them inadvertently when holding the device; give the possibility to disable any button
- add a mini solar panel on the back
- replace the very uncomfortable/unpleasant to hold (compared to a paper book) hard plastic used in today's devices with some gel enclosed in some comfortable silicone/plastic, like in some chairs or mouse pads (remember that reading has always been a sensual/pleasantly tactile experience)
- touch screen only if reflectivity and contrast are as good or better as today's screens
- LEDs on each of the four sides of the screen sending light at different angles for a better result
- no wi-fi/3g/bluetooth; it takes room for no real reason since only Amazon with Whispernet use it, and anyway we need to connect our readers to our computers to recharge them (so at the same time we load books), and it is bad for health, and costs money

Last edited by Lbooker; 06-20-2009 at 05:27 PM.
Lbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 03:59 PM   #14
junkyardwillie
Addict
junkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kobo H20 and iPad
#1 comment, get rid of micro SD and go back to SD, its so annoying to have to have converters for micro and mini SD cards, I love just taking a SD card out of my device toss it on my computer and drag and drop. Micro SD throws a wrench in that process and lets be serious SD is small enough, eReaders need to get bigger screens not get thinner (totally agree that they are very uncomfortable to grip without a cover). Good stuff on the touch screen, I'm holding out for that 9.7 in Q1'10
junkyardwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 05:25 PM   #15
Lbooker
Addict
Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
No need to be a genius/engineer to understand that in such a small device it is very important to reduce the size of every component to make the e-reader lighter, to make space for a new component (be it wi-fi, integrated light,...), to reduce energy consumption,...
Lbooker is offline   Reply With Quote