Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-15-2013, 01:06 AM   #1
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
What do you cherish that's old?

Not necessarily an antique... not something that once belonged to your grandparents or even your parents that you've kept because it was theirs. (For example of NOT - I have one of my father's poetry books from his high school days.) But instead, something that YOU picked up along YOUR path that you kept because it brings back memories.

I have the glass in which I was served my first 'legal' drink. On my 18th birthday my friends took me out to a bar (same bar we'd been drinking in every weekend for the previous four months) and bought me my 'first legal drink.' The waitress thought that was cute, and gave me the glass back after washing it. Everyone at the table signed their names with a grease pencil (no markers in those days) with the date and location. I've used it ever since (48 years) as a desktop pencil holder.

Stitchawl

Last edited by Stitchawl; 01-15-2013 at 02:12 AM.
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:52 AM   #2
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I have a couple of silly things I treasure:
A small shear owned by my grandfather, it's got a spring that you can turn between the handles. It's sharper than any other shear I've had.

I also got a small, brown stone which is (naturally) polished on one side. I found it once when I was a kid when walking in the woods with my grandfather. After I found it he put it in his rock cabinet, after he died and my grandmother moved to a carehome my sister got the rock collection and gave my back my stone as a keepsake.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2013, 02:13 AM   #3
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
I have a couple of silly things I treasure:
A small shear owned by my grandfather, it's got a spring that you can turn between the handles. It's sharper than any other shear I've had.

I also got a small, brown stone which is (naturally) polished on one side. I found it once when I was a kid when walking in the woods with my grandfather. After I found it he put it in his rock cabinet, after he died and my grandmother moved to a carehome my sister got the rock collection and gave my back my stone as a keepsake.
Yes! It's the small brown stone that I had in mind... That type of keepsake!

Stitchawl
Old 01-15-2013, 02:14 AM   #4
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Õh wow! Massive! Tomorrow
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:20 AM   #5
Stitchawl
Opsimath

How do you keep tomorrow?

Stitchawl
Advert
Old 01-15-2013, 02:27 AM   #6
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Really late for me and tired but it would besaddles, guns tools reloading equipment,books
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:32 AM   #7
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I've been thinking and thinking and really can't come up with anything that has any special significance by being just a thing. I use to save stuff I picked up during outings/vacations, but after moving a few times, I realized that they were just stuff, not my memories, and got rid of most of it.

I picked up my first teapots from England, Italy, and Monaco and when I look at them, I remember the trips I took ... does that count?
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:21 AM   #8
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
Really late for me and tired but it would besaddles, guns tools reloading equipment,books
Save that reloading gear. It may not be possible to replace it soon... Wish I still had my Lee loaders. Small enough to fit into a shoebox, and worked well for small re-loads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
I picked up my first teapots from England, Italy, and Monaco and when I look at them, I remember the trips I took ... does that count?
Of course! If it's from your past, it brings up nice memories, and you've had it a long time, that's all that's needed! Frankly, I'm amazed that my 'Legal Glass' has lasted through so many moves! (knocking on wood while I type.) We have another move coming up in a few months, and am already thinking about what we can get rid of!

Stitchawl
Old 01-15-2013, 05:56 AM   #9
Turnstone
Zealot
Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
My Teddy Bear. But I hesitate to call him a "thing". It's more like a friend or a family member..
Turnstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:19 AM   #10
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
A book that I was given for my twenty-first birthday by a very like-minded friend. Other books have been discarded, passed on or abandoned, but this one has always stayed . It's been outgrown and outdated, but always cherished.

That was fifty-five years ago, but Wake Up and Live by Dorothe Brande started me on a very interesting path of self-discovery.

Cheers.
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:56 AM   #11
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I have a few books that I have gotten and would never get rid of (mostly fairy tales)

A bathtowel my father brought from America, which is still one of the largest bathtowels I've ever seen (considering the fact that I haven't wanted to see my father for about 20 years, that's saying something)

But, my most precious objects I have (I couldn't pick one and say that that one was the most precious one) are three stuffed animals.

My oldest is a white dog. I got it from my parents after they had gone somewhere (I'm not even sure where) and they brought it for me because I couldn't go with them.

The second is a stuffed cocker spaniel, I got when we were going (by train) to Andorra and I was sick as a dog...

The third is a raccoon, I bought a few weeks before I went to the States as an Exchange Student. It was sitting in front of the window and I just had to buy it. It goes with me, wherever I go away for a night (or more).

I should search for those pictures that were made when I left... I had my hand luggage all covered by stuffed animals because they didn't fit in my suitcase anymore...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:22 PM   #12
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Oh my - I still have the teddy bear I was given when 2-years-old. All the fur has been "loved" off, 1 eye was glued back in badly, and I had to dress him in a onesie to keep his stuffing in (the seams are too frayed to hold a stitch) - but he still resides on the table by my reading chair. He has traveled with me everywhere - and I think is the only item I still have from my childhood. His name? Ted E. Bear
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:04 PM   #13
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
I have a walking stick (shillelagh) that I carved from a live oak branch in central South Carolina about thirty years ago. The handle is part af a large branch, about two inches in diameter and four inches long; the staff is a smaller branch coming off that. The staff part is about the diameter of my thumb and is rather crooked, so the whole thing has some spring to it.

I fire hardened it and finished it with many rubbings of tung oil so it is rather a dark brown with a satin sheen.

I cut my hand rather badly while carving it, so it literally has my blood sweat and tears in it.

Last edited by wodin; 01-15-2013 at 01:08 PM.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:09 PM   #14
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Sadly, I can't think of a thing. I have moved about so much (14 different schools, 7 moves of continent, gawd knows how many country moves) that I have managed to lose almost everything I once held precious. The nearest I can think of is a signed copy of The Wasp Factory, which Iain Banks signed for me personally many years ago.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:40 PM   #15
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

The M1917 Enfield left to me by a great uncle. Part nostalgia for him, but as a still well made and functioning gun in and of itself.

This little porcelain figurine of an elf given to me by a great aunt (wife of the uncle) when I was about 6 years old with her telling me that she always thought of me as her special elf.

My copy of Calculus (1st edition) by Michael Spivak that was the text for my honors Calculus class first year at university. Its binding is falling to pieces now, but I still enjoy reading chapters in it for the clear rigorous coverage of the subject as well as a lot of related side material.