Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-09-2010, 12:32 AM   #106
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I would be greatly opposed to ads placed within a novel, even between chapters. It upsets the mood, and reminds the reader that he is reading a book. I always thought that a scoreboard clock at a baseball game was a bad idea.

But for some non-fiction books, I can imagine that an ad at the end would be welcome. For example, a book about survivalism could offer ads for the equipment one would need to live such a lifestyle.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 03:08 PM   #107
Scott Nicholson
Scott Nicholson, author
Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Thanks for all these thoughts. A s a new digital publisher Haunted Computer Books, we believe in working-class prices (in fact, JA Konrath was my main inspiration). So $1.99 seems reasonable for our books. But we're also thinking ahead about how we might survive in the free-book era and exploring ad ideas, just because we right now have the ability to do it (or not do it) the way we want. One thing we'll try first is excerpts of our other books, discreetly tucked at the end of a book after it's clear the story is over. (After author bio, etc.) As links on ereaders and graphics get more sophisticated, we'll have to think about that, because I also do comics.

Yet our overriding philosophy is the ad must be content or entertainment, not just a sales pitch, and it will never interrupt the story. We all know how to tune out advertising. But an entertaining event that draws your eyeballs is worth your time, because you seek it out (like Super Bowl ads that get rejected and go on to YouTube fame). This field is totally in its infancy and it's great to be part of the shaping.

Scott Nicholson
Coming March 1: THE SKULL RING
ASHES http://tiny.cc/BGihE
FLOWERS http://tiny.cc/4jtUc
THE FIRST http://tiny.cc/BcCL5
BURIAL TO FOLLOW http://tiny.cc/WemOU
Scott Nicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2010, 04:33 PM   #108
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
If the ads are like the fake commercials in most of Paul Verhoeven's movies (Robocop, Total Recall, Starshop Troopers) then they will definately be fun AND part of the story.
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:36 AM   #109
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by mores View Post
If the ads are like the fake commercials in most of Paul Verhoeven's movies (Robocop, Total Recall, Starshop Troopers) then they will definately be fun AND part of the story.
Yeah... I still fondly recall the ad in (I think) the second Robocop movie with bikini-clad girls slathering on this multi-colored grease, UV rating 800 or something, to protect them from the UV rays.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:28 PM   #110
rocketgranny
rocketgranny is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook
Bah-Humbug.

- If it was free, <shrug> well, you get what you paid for.

- If I had to pay for it and there's advertising -- assuming I was dumb or desperate enough to go for it -- then the 1st thing to do is convert to TXT and remove ALL advertising. As for a DRM'd ePUB, it's only a matter of time.
rocketgranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2010, 08:10 AM   #111
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
It seems to me that, even if most people here don't like to see it that way, in the age of information availability what really competes in economical sense are channels through which the product can reach the user. I came upon this image lately - it's relevant to movies, but it might also be relevant to ebooks. I didn't make it, so someone else has a similar idea. Notice it doesn't say a thing about the money.

Is it worth adorning channels through which authors get the money with advertisements?
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 08:15 AM   #112
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
Nice post, Krystian!.

Where'd you get that image?
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 08:17 AM   #113
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystian Galaj View Post
It seems to me that, even if most people here don't like to see it that way, in the age of information availability what really competes in economical sense are channels through which the product can reach the user. I came upon this image lately - it's relevant to movies, but it might also be relevant to ebooks. I didn't make it, so someone else has a similar idea. Notice it doesn't say a thing about the money.

Is it worth adorning channels through which authors get the money with advertisements?
A fellow redditor perhaps? I saw the image on Reddit a few days ago.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 08:23 PM   #114
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
From Facebook, unfortunately, one of my friends posted it
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:37 PM   #115
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Krystian, I find "lose" to be the most commonly misspelled word on the internet!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote