Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-04-2009, 03:37 PM   #16
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
We all know what a "nook" is. The problem is that the word is associated more with the slang than not.
Two words: Nintendo Wii
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 03:37 PM   #17
Ocean
Banned
Ocean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enough

Device: Proud G1 Kindle Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by pboss View Post
It's a clever name actually.
Oh I agree with the definition, with the meaning of the word. But they should have picked a synonym for 'nook'. It sounds like a play on the word 'book'.

Like a Vook. What silliness!
Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2009, 03:38 PM   #18
Ocean
Banned
Ocean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
We all know what a "nook" is. The problem is that the word is associated more with the slang than not.

This (too).
Old 11-04-2009, 06:19 PM   #19
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Amazon negotiated a position with pubishers and assured them they would have safeguards in place. Perhaps B&N need to do the same.

If you are going overseas load the device before you go, or get the books in epub from other sources and load via a laptop? There are ways around it. I think the nook will do well.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 11:12 PM   #20
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
US book sales are about 30% of global book revenues (approximately $36 billion out of $119 billion) and afaik the largest unified market. So I don't think focusing on the US market first is a huge mistake.

Not to mention that ebooks are still a small part of the market, so it's not like B&N needs to have international right now or they're finished before they start.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2009, 09:42 AM   #21
Ocean
Banned

I think the nook may be toast before it even drops.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:43 PM   #22
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkchapman View Post
Oh, good grief! This is getting to be like the Mac vs. PC religious wars. Sometimes I wish the e-book market would go back to being the fringe hobby market it used to be.
I have a PC, a Mac, and a Kindle, and I'm seriously considering buying a Nook. Does this make me an appeaser?

Or maybe I'm just neutral.

Holy crap! I'm Switzerland!

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 11-05-2009 at 07:47 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 01:48 AM   #23
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
or a techno geek
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 08:15 AM   #24
bookwormfjl
Book Junkie
bookwormfjl has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-505; Cybook Gen 3; Kindle 1; Kindle 2; Kindle DX; Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkchapman View Post
Oh, good grief! This is getting to be like the Mac vs. PC religious wars. Sometimes I wish the e-book market would go back to being the fringe hobby market it used to be.
Amen, Brother!
bookwormfjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 10:53 AM   #25
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
You're not alone. I currently shepherd something like 30 Windows machines, six Macs, five Linux servers (in two different distros), and one Windows server; and keep them all playing nice together. It's less like Switzerland and more like the League of Non-Aligned Worlds.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 01:52 PM   #26
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
I think the nook may be toast before it even drops.
And, FWIW, I think the Kindle should have been used for kindling-but that's opinions for you, they're like assholes-everybody has one but polite people use euphemisms in referring to them.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 01:55 PM   #27
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
I have a PC, a Mac, and a Kindle, and I'm seriously considering buying a Nook. Does this make me an appeaser?

ROFLMAO!!
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 04:24 PM   #28
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Quote:

I have a dual boot Win 7/OSX desktop, a MacBook Pro, several PCs, Windows Server, a Linux netbook and just Hackintoshed a Dell Mini 10v for my daughter. I'm a fan of whatever works.

Also have too many eInk readers floating around and am considering buying an eBookwise because it's on sale! I would probably give it to my daughter since she is an avid reader and it looks a lot sturdier than any of my eInk readers. I'm intrigued by the Nook but I want to wait until I can read some hands on reviews here before considering a purchase.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote