Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-19-2009, 04:46 AM   #1
weedfreak
Addict
weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: calibre
Segmentation fault

I was getting two or three crashes an hour with segmentation fault using 6.12 on Xubuntu jaunty 64 bit, but waited patiently for the next upgrade as I had read posts that it was being dealt with.

On restarting today I was advised the upgrade was available so I up graded to 6.13, unfortunately I can no longer start Calibre, I get a segmentation fault every time, with 6.12 it never took more than 6 attempts to start.

I tried calibre debug and the app loaded, I closed it and tried just calibre and this time it worked, so it could of been some spurious data from the last 6.12 crash ?? Anyway I shall carry on sorting out the metatags from my library and see how stable this version is.
weedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 10:32 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I'm going to need an strace to debug crashes. calibre is pretty stable on my 64-bit system, so it's likely an interaction with some dependency. strace will help me find that.

The bug fixes with respect to stability in 0.6.12 were platform neutral ones (an reference cycle that the Python garbage collector couldn't handle leading to a memory leak when queueing books for conversion)

strace -f calibre
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2009, 11:02 AM   #3
weedfreak
Addict
weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

In fact since the initial start-up problems 6.13 has been running pretty stable here as well. There was one crash while editing meta data but that was before you asked for an strace so I have no input.
I'll post back with an strace if I get further problems, until then no news is good news.
Old 09-20-2009, 05:27 AM   #4
weedfreak
Addict

Only one crash so far -

Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/kovid/work/calibre/src/calibre/gui2/dialogs/metadata_single.py", line 66, in run
  File "/home/kovid/work/calibre/src/calibre/ebooks/metadata/library_thing.py", line 61, in cover_from_isbn
ISBNNotFound: ISBN: 9789999979511 not found.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/kovid/work/calibre/src/calibre/library/database2.py", line 744, in notify
  File "/home/kovid/work/calibre/src/calibre/gui2/tag_view.py", line 104, in database_changed
  File "/home/kovid/work/calibre/src/calibre/gui2/tag_view.py", line 108, in refresh
  File "/home/kovid/work/calibre/src/calibre/library/database2.py", line 1001, in get_categories
  File "/home/kovid/work/calibre/src/calibre/library/database2.py", line 994, in get
SystemError: Objects/dictobject.c:681: bad argument to internal function
Segmentation fault
Hope this helps!
Old 09-20-2009, 11:35 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Do you remember what you were doing when this happened?
Advert
Old 09-20-2009, 03:08 PM   #6
weedfreak
Addict

I was editing metatags in general and I think I was specifically connecting to isbndb to check details or d/l the book cover.
Old 09-20-2009, 03:12 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

This was with the edit metadata dialog, or just in the main GUI?
Old 09-21-2009, 03:14 AM   #8
weedfreak
Addict

Metadata dialog, edit metadata individually
Old 09-21-2009, 09:48 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

OK, I have an idea about what may be causing this, I'll look into it.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:41 PM   #10
weedfreak
Addict

Firstly things seem a lot more stable with 6.14.
I did get a database out of range error when adding a new book by drag 'n' drop, checking db integrity produced no errors but shorly afterwards I got this error and ctd.
Code:
ASSERT failure in QCoreApplication::sendEvent: "Cannot send events to objects owned by a different thread. Current thread 5a8fb30. Receiver '' (of type 'QWidget') was created in thread 39120d0", file kernel/qcoreapplication.cpp, line 305
The book added when the db range error occurred seems to be intact and I was searching for another book at the time of the fatal crash.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:47 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

The range errors will be fixed in the enxt release