Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 10-02-2008, 12:34 PM   #1
Petter
Petter began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Librie
Old screen vs new screen Iliad

Hi, I am new here.
First, thanks for all the good info in the forum and the wiki!

Right now I have an Sony Librie that I use just sometimes.
But I get tired in my eyes from it because of the low copntrast and I do not like the small screen.

So I am just about to order an new ebook reader to replace it.
I think it is going to be an Iliad. The screen size is just perfect.
But I borrowed an Iliad fom 2007 yesterday to try out, and i did not think the screen was *that* much better than my Librie when it came to contrast.
After a while my eyes still got tired.

So my question is if there is big difference between the screen from 2007 and the current Iliad screeen?

The new 1000 reader looks really good but I think it would be too clumsy for me.

Kind Regards
Petter J
Petter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 12:48 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Welcome to MobileRead, Petter!

For the last year the only e-ink displays that PVI (the only folks who make e-ink displays) have been making are the newer "Vizplex" displays, a generation newer than the ones that were on the old Librie.

The display that was in the iLiad up until PVI switched over was the same display as what was in the Librie, the size was bigger, obviously, and the controller was more capable, but the basic display was the same.

The iLiads they're selling now should be noticably better contrast than your Librie. If you're somewhere that you can get access to a Sony Reader (not the 500 model, it was still the older type) or a Cybook, have a look at one of those to get an idea of the difference -- they also use Vizplex displays.

Good luck!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2008, 12:51 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The very latest iLiads are using Vizplex EInk film, which the ones from 2007 were not doing. However, iRex has not made a big deal of this because they claim that there is almost no difference between the old and new screens. On other devices the switch to Vizplex made a big difference, but iRex is using their own display controller and got much more performance out of the old film than others did. I don't see much difference between my Kindle (Vizplex) and iLiad (not Vizplex).

I am surprised that there was little difference to the Libre. One advantage of the larger screen is that you can use a larger font size for the same number of words per page. I also like a bold font (to reduce the contrast issue), which is one reason I use FBReader rather than MobiPocket Reader on the iLiad.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 03:06 PM   #4
Petter

Thank you for your replies, they made me think.

I just had another look at the 2007 Iliad, and you are correct that the screen itself is much better than the Librie.

So why did I have the impression of "no big difference"?

I played with it and found that it is Mobipocket fonts!

(Mobipocket is a must, because of the availability of Swedish books, dictionary support and the text reflow. Pdf:s have to be perfectly formatted to be really readible.)

I always want to read with serif fonts, and when I change to serif font (with a tool i found here) the font quality gets much worse. The quality and thickness of the font makes it hard to read and straining the eyes.

So the priority of my questions shold now be:
1) Can I install my own font in Iliad
(The answer in the forum seems to be "No".)
2) How is the 2008 Iliad screen compared to the 2007 Iliad screen.
(We can forget comparing the Librie since it was the better font that made the experience better)

Kind Regards
Petter
Old 10-02-2008, 03:50 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

FBReader for the iLiad can read DRM-free MOBI files (and many other DRM-free formats), and it can use any font installed on the device. For a couple of screenshots see Mobipocket Font Switcher #22. Note that your web browser may display a degraded version of the images - if so click again to see them full size. I use FBReader 0.8.4, because the 0.8.14 version does not allow access to menus (e.g. to switch fonts).

As you can tell from the name of the thread referenced above, it is possible to switch the MobiPocket Reader's fonts, but the default choices are limited, see Mobipocket Font Switcher #19. All is not lost, though, because it is possible to completely replace the iLiads default font and therefore get a new MobiPocket Reader font, see Mobipocket default font?.
Advert
Old 10-02-2008, 03:50 PM   #6
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
FBreader on the iLiad would give you the ability to adjust fonts and would read Mobipocket format (as well as several other reflowable formats), but not with DRM. You'd have to remove the DRM from books you purchased. And FBreader doesn't have the integrated dictionary support.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 04:42 PM   #7
Petter

Wallcraft,
the thread "Mobipocket default font" seems to give me the option to use "Liberation" font and maybe also any other (but the details are sketchy there, while liberation has a package.)

If this works it would be the ideal solution.

I will also try out FBReader, but then I would lose dictionaries and DRM support.
(Nekokami mentioned "remove DRM from books, but that is impossible as I know?)

Do any of you have experience from changing the fonts successfully with that pacage?

I am getting closer to the order-button...
Petter
Old 10-02-2008, 04:54 PM   #8
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petter View Post
Nekokami mentioned "remove DRM from books, but that is impossible as I know?
It is possible for three of the four most popular formats (MOBI and LIT and eReader), but not possible for Adobe ebooks. For MOBI, see Mobipocket Decoder Tool.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:16 PM   #9
Petter

Font problem solved, it seems!

Remains only the original, now not so important, question:
How is the 2008 Iliad screen compared to the 2007 Iliad screen.

Now Im going to sleep, good night!
Petter
Old 10-02-2008, 06:36 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The very latest iLiads are using Vizplex EInk film, which the ones from 2007 were not doing. However, iRex has not made a big deal of this because they claim that there is almost no difference between the old and new screens. On other devices the switch to Vizplex made a big difference, but iRex is using their own display controller and got much more performance out of the old film than others did. I don't see much difference between my Kindle (Vizplex) and iLiad (not Vizplex).
One difference is in direct sunlight. The Vizplex screens don't hav the problem the previous screens did of fading.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:49 PM   #11
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
Quote:

Remains only the original, now not so important, question:
How is the 2008 Iliad screen compared to the 2007 Iliad screen.
I demonstrate and use iLiads and Cybooks every day. (My iLiad is the old version, we sell only the new version (BE and V2). I've noticed absolutely no difference between the 2 versions.

I read on my non-Vizplex iLiad outdoors at weekends and I haven't noticed any fading.

Last edited by cbell; 10-03-2008 at 04:36 AM. Reason: added fading comment
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:21 PM   #12
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
the thread "Mobipocket default font" seems to give me the option to use "Liberation" font and maybe also any other (but the details are sketchy there, while liberation has a package.)
As you say, Liberation definitely works and others might work. I have added screenshots using the Liberation font, see Mobipocket default font? #14.
Old 10-03-2008, 04:33 AM   #13
drago
Enthusiast
drago began at the beginning.

Device: KPW, BrokenfirstgeniLiad
With a bit of hacking any font can be used in the mobipocket viewer.
See this post for an updated package:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=15
drago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 05:35 AM   #14
Petter

Ordered

Order button pushed!

Thanks for all the help.

/Petter
Old 10-03-2008, 07:26 AM   #15
M@rcel
Connoisseur
M@rcel began at the beginning.

Device: Irex iLiad
After having my non-vizplex display replaced, the new display is much whiter and faster. I read in the sun often and no fading occurs anymore.
M@rcel is offline   Reply With Quote