Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-25-2016, 01:34 AM   #1
leftright
Addict
leftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Kobo Glo
Book doesn't open at pg.1 which is cover

I would like all my unread books to open with the books Cover, my unread books open at pg.2 on my Glo. Calibre is OK.

I've set Calibre to not remember Calibre bookmarks and to remove Calibre bookmarks.
leftright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 01:46 AM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftright View Post
I would like all my unread books to open with the books Cover, my unread books open at pg.2 on my Glo. Calibre is OK.

I've set Calibre to not remember Calibre bookmarks and to remove Calibre bookmarks.
I find that my Kobo ereader opens unread epub format books at the first entry in the table of contents while Calibre opens at the first file which is most often the cover image.

You can edit the table of contents (toc.ncx for an epub2, EPUB navigation document for epub3 though you find quite a few epub3 ebooks that have both for backward compatibility) though I would not recommend directly editing either without knowing what you are doing.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2016, 04:08 AM   #3
leftright
Addict
leftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Hmm, is there a method to batch insert <titlepage>/cover as the first TOC index, or will I have to manually edit xxx number books ?.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	title to TOC.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	149660  

Last edited by leftright; 06-25-2016 at 04:10 AM. Reason: add picture
Old 06-25-2016, 05:49 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
You will probably have to edit the books. Using calibre's Polish Books will add the cover page, but it doesn't add it to the ToC. But, you can then use ToC editor from the main calibre interface without opening the full editor.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 06:59 AM   #5
leftright
Addict

I have all covers installed as titlepage, I was hoping for an easy way to batch create the TOC entry, *sigh*, guess I'll have manually edit each book. What's 650x2min ? :-)
Advert
Old 06-25-2016, 07:09 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't think there is a way to do it from the command-line. It might be possible via a conversion, but I can't see an option that would do it. Creating a calibre plugin that automated it probably wouldn't be that hard.
Old 06-26-2016, 01:12 AM   #7
leftright
Addict

It would be nice for the Glo to open unread books at the cover, It seems logical to open the book there. A physical book is first browsed by it's cover, then open to text, eReaders on Droid and Windows do exactly that which is nice.

Polish epubs, or Modify epubs, or a Calibre plugin, or a feature in Calibre-convert, all good candidates for a additional option.

It's a shame that Kobo's epub software doesn't do this.
Old 06-26-2016, 02:47 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftright View Post
It would be nice for the Glo to open unread books at the cover, It seems logical to open the book there. A physical book is first browsed by it's cover, then open to text, eReaders on Droid and Windows do exactly that which is nice.
By that logic, every time I reopen the book it should go to the cover. After all, there is no way for me to open that physical book without seeing the cover first

There has been a lot of discussion about this over the years. A lot of people want to skip the front matter and go straight to the text. The epub standards has ways to specify where to start, but they are optional. Most ereader apps seem to ignore them or make up their own rules.
Quote:
Polish epubs, or Modify epubs, or a Calibre plugin, or a feature in Calibre-convert, all good candidates for a additional option.
Yes, they would all be reasonable places to do this. You just need to convince the authors of one to do it. Or do it yourself and supply them for inclusion.
Quote:
It's a shame that Kobo's epub software doesn't do this.
Personally, I do prefer to start from the cover, but I can see reasons not to. One advantage of the way they do it is that you can change the ToC in the book to your preferred opening location. But, the kepub renderer opens new books from the cover, so if you send books as kepubs, that will solve the problem for you .
Old 06-27-2016, 05:15 AM   #9
leftright
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
But, the kepub renderer opens new books from the cover, so if you send books as kepubs, that will solve the problem for you .
aha, I didn't know that, much easier to convert to kepub than manually edit the ToC.

EDIT;
I experimented with a book, epub to kepub, what I don't understand is why the file size goes from .55M to 1.7M. no embedded fonts in either, so why the increase in file size ?.

Many thanks.

Last edited by leftright; 06-27-2016 at 06:18 AM.