Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 01-08-2013, 11:46 PM   #1
purple_fishy
Zealot
purple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook STR, iPad Air 2
Nook HD: sideloaded books showing up on kid profile?

I have a Nook HD. One of the main reasons I loved this tablet was that I could create separate profiles for me and my daughter. This way she can't accidentally access books or movies that I don't want her reading/watching at this point in time.

I am running into the problem of all my sideloaded books showing up in her profile. I am not sure how to fix this problem. Most of my books are sideloaded books that I have purchased elsewhere, not through B&N. Please help! If this issue can't be fixed then it completely negates the usefulness of the profiles for me.
purple_fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:27 PM   #2
Philistine
Philistine began at the beginning.

Device: Nook HD, Nook Classic, Iphone 4S, Ipad 3
I don't have my HD with me now, but there is a setting in the parental controls area where you can restrict the kid's profile's access to "my library" where the sideloaded books and movies are. That should prevent them from showing up in the child's profile.

In the "manage profile" portion (I think on the edit profile) you can limit which books the child's profile (or an adult's for that matter) can access on a book-by-book basis--but this is only for B&N downloaded material.

If you want to give your child access to any sideloaded material--the only way to do that is to give them full access to the library where all sideloaded material is.

To me, this is a huge failing.

--Philistine
Philistine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2013, 11:12 PM   #3
purple_fishy
Zealot
purple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook STR, iPad Air 2
Dang it. That's what I was afraid of. So if I don't buy the kid's books through B&N, she has to have access to the full library in order to access her books. That sucks.
purple_fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:36 AM   #4
Philistine
Philistine began at the beginning.

Device: Nook HD, Nook Classic, Iphone 4S, Ipad 3
Yeah, that makes the profiles essentially useless as a security measure.

You can still use it as a convenience--you can add sideloaded books to any profile's Home page, so that you could peg all/some of the children's books to the child's home page, making those the ones that show up on the home screen. This would be different than what would show up on your home screen. But you still need access to the library to do that--and as far as I have been able to tell, you can't pin it to the child's home screen and then remove access to the library without all sideloaded books disappearing from the child's home screen.

The only other way I can think of to try to do something similar is to keep content you want to remain segregated on separate SD cards, and change them when you switch off. I haven't tried this, but it should work. Quite a kludge, though.

--Philistine
Philistine is offline   Reply With Quote