Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-09-2012, 03:22 PM   #181
Helgetus
Zealot
Helgetus doesn't litterHelgetus doesn't litter

Device: PW1, PW2, KB3G, Sony PRS-T3
Then I don't know what the poster means by updating and getting the latest firmware ...

8 of 19 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Update: Amazon pulls through, like a chivalric hero on a white steed!, October 5, 2012
By
whositwhatsit - See all my reviews
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Kindle Paperwhite, 6" High Resolution Display with Built-in Light, Wi-Fi - Includes Special Offers (Electronics)
Update:

After playing with the Kindle Paperwhite for a couple of days, I've changed my mind from 1- to 4-stars (really 4.5, but that doesn't seem possible on the rating system). It's still not *quite* the blow-your-pants-off amazing e-reader that I thought it would be, but it's by far the best one available now--and add to that the speed & efficiency of Amazon customer support (who gave me a call just now to help out with Kindle issues) and the extent of its online library, its Whispersync technology, the storage available on Amazon Cloud, and this thing can't be beat.

The strange blotchy pixelation problems went away as soon as I connected to a wireless network. Apparently, my device just needed to download the latest updates and be in sync with the latest firmware (all of which has now been done). There's virtually no lag in typing letters on the touchscreen keyboard, and there are no longer issues turning pages or with pixelation generally. The four LED lights are still visible, but actually, one does get used to it. Wired.com and TheVerge have decent reviews of the Paperwhite--go read them! Sum up the thing pretty well.
Helgetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:32 PM   #182
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helgetus View Post
Then I don't know what the poster means by updating and getting the latest firmware ...

8 of 19 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Update: Amazon pulls through, like a chivalric hero on a white steed!, October 5, 2012
By
whositwhatsit - See all my reviews
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Kindle Paperwhite, 6" High Resolution Display with Built-in Light, Wi-Fi - Includes Special Offers (Electronics)
Update:

After playing with the Kindle Paperwhite for a couple of days, I've changed my mind from 1- to 4-stars (really 4.5, but that doesn't seem possible on the rating system). It's still not *quite* the blow-your-pants-off amazing e-reader that I thought it would be, but it's by far the best one available now--and add to that the speed & efficiency of Amazon customer support (who gave me a call just now to help out with Kindle issues) and the extent of its online library, its Whispersync technology, the storage available on Amazon Cloud, and this thing can't be beat.

The strange blotchy pixelation problems went away as soon as I connected to a wireless network. Apparently, my device just needed to download the latest updates and be in sync with the latest firmware (all of which has now been done). There's virtually no lag in typing letters on the touchscreen keyboard, and there are no longer issues turning pages or with pixelation generally. The four LED lights are still visible, but actually, one does get used to it. Wired.com and TheVerge have decent reviews of the Paperwhite--go read them! Sum up the thing pretty well.
I don't think that guy would know a FW update if it crawled up his backside and called him Mama!
Advert
Old 10-09-2012, 03:34 PM   #183
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Here is a photo of my replacement PW form a few minutes ago. You can see how it is getting bad.

I just checked and my PW which I received on 10/2 and seemed fine to my eyes is starting to look kind of like the one in your pic (not as bad as yours at the bottom). I'm also seeing the text with varying boldness that you mentioned with your first PW.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:35 PM   #184
Helgetus
Zealot
Helgetus doesn't litterHelgetus doesn't litter

Device: PW1, PW2, KB3G, Sony PRS-T3
@jswinden ROFL
Helgetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:35 PM   #185
zwarbles
Connoisseur
zwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura about

Device: iPad, Nook, NC, NST, Kobo, Nook Glo, K4, KPW Touch
I just got my replacement today and it's worse than the original.
While the screen is brighter on the replacement, there is a huge blotch of pink on the upper right side. (same font, same settings on each)

I am going to read with it a few hours tonight and hope that it settles down.
zwarbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2012, 03:50 PM   #186
jswinden
Nameless Being

I read an article a while back (before the PW was even announced) that talked about the light hues coming from clear LEDs. A clear LED normally has a blue hue I think. To get warmer hues like yellow or pink or tan they coat them with some chemical. This is probably fine for flashlights and such but I'm wondering if this coating on the LEDs is rather uneven in thickness and distribution and can therefore cast weird shadows with different hues?
Old 10-09-2012, 04:17 PM   #187
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
*pats K3 reassuringly* there, there, nothing to worry about...

Honestly guys, I feel for you. I cannot order PW (luckily it seems?) but been lurking in the background of PW posts every day. What a shame. I'm a big gadget geek and everytime I wait for new thing I'm so excited. To have my expectations crushed, AND TWICE would be extremely taxing. It is a real pity PW seems like a fail. If I had a faulty PW and read that replacements are the same, or even a good unit develops faults in time I would just call it a day altogether.
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:22 PM   #188
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Jack has my sympathies. 2 down and 1 to go...................

Some folks simply have bad luck.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:21 PM   #189
7hir7een
Reader of Books
7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Basic (11th gen)
Guys, I was wondering... I've been thinking about this since I received my first Paperwhite. Unfortunately, I did not receive my replacement today as planned. (terrible inconvenience because I have to be in the apartment to get a package and Tuesday is the only day of the week I don't have class at the time the UPS guy comes...but, that's neither here nor there. /tangent)

How did you receive your Paperwhite (and when, for reference)? Was the black PW box in another box, or did you just receive the black box with a UPS label slapped on? Curious to see what others' experiences were.
7hir7een is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:24 PM   #190
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
black box with the ups sticker on it, the whole in a fedex box because it was forwarded.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:26 PM   #191
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7hir7een View Post
Guys, I was wondering... I've been thinking about this since I received my first Paperwhite. Unfortunately, I did not receive my replacement today as planned. (terrible inconvenience because I have to be in the apartment to get a package and Tuesday is the only day of the week I don't have class at the time the UPS guy comes...but, that's neither here nor there. /tangent)

How did you receive your Paperwhite (and when, for reference)? Was the black PW box in another box, or did you just receive the black box with a UPS label slapped on? Curious to see what others' experiences were.
I'm going to assume they ship the replacements same as the original? I would think, at least. I received my original black box PW inside another box. Sorry your replacement didn't arrive today.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:29 PM   #192
jswinden
Nameless Being

Both of mine came only in the Kindle black box, no outer box or wrap.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:30 PM   #193
zwarbles
Connoisseur
zwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura about

My original was shipped FedEx Home inside an Amazon box with the case included. (Black box, case shrink wrapped with rubber band around it)

My replacement was shipped in the black box with a UPS sticker on it.

They were shipped from different warehouses also. First one TN, replacement NH.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:31 PM   #194
chocochibi
chocochibi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Mine is mostly even, but I notice above the four shadows from the lights there is another row of fainter shadows between them that go up into the bottom four rows of text. I find it very annoying and distracting as my eye is constantly drawn there when I'm reading. I don't know whether to try and get used to that or ask for a replacement since it seems to bug me so much, or if all the units do that. I can see it on all light levels. It's fainter than the shadows at the very bottom, but definitely enough that I notice. It's enough that I can't get "lost" in a book, but I don't know if better is possible.

Last edited by chocochibi; 10-09-2012 at 05:34 PM.
chocochibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:33 PM   #195
zwarbles
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi Cygni View Post
*pats K3 reassuringly* there, there, nothing to worry about...

Honestly guys, I feel for you. I cannot order PW (luckily it seems?) but been lurking in the background of PW posts every day. What a shame. I'm a big gadget geek and everytime I wait for new thing I'm so excited. To have my expectations crushed, AND TWICE would be extremely taxing. It is a real pity PW seems like a fail. If I had a faulty PW and read that replacements are the same, or even a good unit develops faults in time I would just call it a day altogether.
I'm sad both of mine have issues, but I can't call it a failure. It's still a nice reader which I will be able to use. I was perhaps expecting too much due to Amazon's touting of pure paper white evenly lit screen. My 2 just aren't like that...and it frustrates me that they both have different brightness on the screen with the same settings.