Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-30-2011, 06:57 PM   #1
thebestjeter
Addict
thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi and Kindle DX Graphite
Thumbs up New Personal Document Archiving

From here

Quote:
Your personal documents sent to Kindle device(s) can now be stored in your Kindle library. You can download your archived personal documents to your Kindle device(s) conveniently anywhere at any time. The default setting on the Manage Your Kindle page will be set to enable Personal Document Archiving in your Kindle library allowing you to download your personal documents from your Archived Items on your Kindle. Once archived, your personal documents will continue to be stored in your Kindle library until you delete them.

Note: Retrieving archived personal documents is currently only supported on Kindle Keyboard, Kindle and Kindle Touch.
[...]
Note: Your Kindle library can hold up of 5 GB of personal documents.
Has anybody tried it on a Kindle 3 (Kindle keyboard)? I did it and it didn't work.

Last edited by thebestjeter; 10-03-2011 at 05:09 PM.
thebestjeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 06:59 PM   #2
Daveoc64
Groupie
Daveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (LTE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebestjeter View Post
From here

Has anybody tried it on a Kindle 3 (Kindle keyboard)? I did it and it didn't work.
It requires the Kindle Keyboard 3.3 update, which Amazon has only released to a few Kindles.

There isn't any way of installing this update manually at the moment.
Daveoc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2011, 07:13 PM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Yes, it's not finished yet. 3.3 is dribbling out and although no official announcement has been made, it is reasonable to assume it's associated with the improved Personal Documents service. Older Kindles probably will never support it, but I expect the apps will be updated to do so as other new features are added. (even if older Kindles don't support syncing, it would be 'nice' if you could at least send the content to them from your cloud storage).

An update would be required because as things stand, Personal Documents 'delete' rather than 'remove', and don't try to sync annotations (though a calibre hack allows furthest read position to sync).

So right now all you can do is get things into the 5Gb cloud storage, and delete stuff from cloud storage. You can't get it out of there and onto an actual Kindle. Unless perhaps you have gotten 3.3.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:45 PM   #4
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 1/2/3/4/Touch/DX/Fire|PRS-600/350|Nook(color)|iPad|iPad2|EVO 4G
I'm pretty sure that 3.3 will be rolled out en masse when Kindle Touch ships. Among other things it will contain KDK for developing a single app for all 3 platforms: keyboard, keyboardless and touch.
Blog Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:57 PM   #5
germanor
germanor has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.germanor has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.germanor has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.germanor has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle keyboard wifi / kindle 4
Hello, from Spain. That's my first post. I have a kindle 3 wifi (with 3.1 firmware) and yesterday I noticed that all the documents sended to my kindle via email are stored as personal documents in My Kindle Library.

Last edited by germanor; 10-01-2011 at 12:02 AM.
germanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2011, 04:58 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
This is excellent news. A very useful enhancement.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 05:22 AM   #7
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
I'm running 3.1 on the Kindle 3 wifi.

Yesterday I mailed myself a pdf file at my @kindle.com address, and it shows on my personal documents page on Amazon.

I'm still reading it, so I haven't deleted it from the kindle to test if it goes into the archive yet.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 11:27 AM   #8
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Wow - that is very interesting. 5GB though.

My son has a bunch of PDF documents for his classes. Right now they are in Dropbox but he might be interested in it if retrieval is easier via Amazon.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 01:30 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I just found out about this and was going to post.. here are my thoughts...

First, this is awesome. I have been saying they should do this since I got my Kindle Classic.

But, I am disappointed it won't be available on my Kindle Classic. I don't see why... seems more a server side thing than anything else.

It states that your kindle library can hold up to 5GB of personal documents. I wonder if this uses your Cloud Drive space, and if you can purchase more if needed.

They also state that now all kindles registered to your account will have the same "send-to-kindle" email address. I kind of like them being separate.

Is there any charge when downloading personal documents from the archive? WiFi Charge? 3G Charge? There used to be a 3G charge previously.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 01:39 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Now, if only they would set up Sync Groups so I can sync my Kindle, Phone and Cloud Reader without syncing to my Wife or Son's kindle.

BOb
Old 10-01-2011, 01:46 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

From looking at the Manage your kindle pages it looks like there is still a fee for personal document's d/l-ed via Whispernet but not over WiFi... which makes sense.

BOb
Old 10-03-2011, 11:27 AM   #12
moomins
Nameless Being

Files I've emailed from calibre have started showing up in my Personal Document Library thing, though I can't archive/retrieve them yet presumably as my Kindle is still on 3.2.

From the help page it appears that they'll also do syncing of position/notes etc. through whispersync, I don't think this used to happen did it?

The page is also clear this won't work on free Kindle apps or the cloud reader. I personally doubt they'll add this any time soon, as it seems like it'll add all the great convenience features to books not sourced through Amazon.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:09 PM   #13
thebestjeter
Addict
thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi and Kindle DX Graphite
Quote:
Originally Posted by moomins View Post

From the help page it appears that they'll also do syncing of position/notes etc. through whispersync, I don't think this used to happen did it?
Actually, yes. And I personally love it.
thebestjeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 02:00 PM   #14
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
This will be a big plus. I can put all my non-Amazon books up there, and still sync them when I need to. One of my pain points until now is that they don't show up in archived items, so having them added there will be a definite plus. But not if I have to upgrade to a newer model.
CRussel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 02:27 PM   #15
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 1/2/3/4/Touch/DX/Fire|PRS-600/350|Nook(color)|iPad|iPad2|EVO 4G
I'm pretty sure that 3.3 Kindle keyboard software update to enable this will be out before or around the time Kindle Touch will ship
Blog Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote