Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-27-2012, 11:35 PM   #1
EtrnLwanderer
EtrnLwanderer began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy Note
Version 0.8.41 does not open ebooks

I'm using a multiple OS computer ( Windows XP Home & Windows 7 Ultimate). On the WinXp machine I have AVG antivirus running while Win 7 has Microsoft Security Essentials. Since the Calibre Library is common for both OSs and also my Android phone,on which I use Aldiko, I had created the Library on an external 1TB drive that is permanently on and is synced through Dropbox.
Till the previous version I had no problems whatsoever, but ever since I updated the WinXp Calibre version to 0.8.41, I am having trouble opening any of the existing ebooks in my library.

When I open the book, I get the following error:

Spoiler:

What could be the problem causing this error, and how do I fix it? This issue is not there when I use Win7

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 02-28-2012 at 02:57 AM. Reason: Placed overly large image in spoilers.
EtrnLwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:59 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It looks like something is deleting the temp files created by calibre while calibre is still running. Do you have some sort of temp file cleaner program? Use windows explorer to check if that file and/or its containing folders exist.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2012, 08:25 AM   #3
EtrnLwanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
It looks like something is deleting the temp files created by calibre while calibre is still running. Do you have some sort of temp file cleaner program? Use windows explorer to check if that file and/or its containing folders exist.
Thank you, Kovid. I checked the Temp folder and I see that the calibre temp folder shown in my screen shot is listed in there, but inside the folder there is just 1 file, one with a *.pickle extension, nothing else.

I have not installed any temp file cleaners. In fact, I did not have this issue till I switched to the latest calibre update.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:57 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Try switching back to 0.8.40 and see if it fixes it. If so we can investigate further. Old releases of calibre are aviable here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/calibre/files/
Old 02-28-2012, 10:12 AM   #5
EtrnLwanderer

In fact I've reverted to version 0.8.39 and everything is working fine again

I know this is just a temporary respite as I would definitely love to have the most up to date version

Thank you once again, Kovid
Advert
Old 02-28-2012, 10:16 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

How are you launching the viewer? From within calirbe or by itself?
Old 02-28-2012, 12:56 PM   #7
EtrnLwanderer

I launch it both ways, depending on what I find convenient at that point in time. I was getting the error either way with the updated version, but now that I've rolled back to an older version, there's no trouble whatsoever

And this issue was only seen on WinXP. The latest update works fine on Win7 for me
Old 02-28-2012, 01:17 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by EtrnLwanderer View Post
I launch it both ways, depending on what I find convenient at that point in time. I was getting the error either way with the updated version, but now that I've rolled back to an older version, there's no trouble whatsoever

And this issue was only seen on WinXP. The latest update works fine on Win7 for me
Weird 8.41 viewer on XPpro SP3 works great here.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:00 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

What's the value of your TMP environment variable?
Old 02-28-2012, 10:08 PM   #10
EtrnLwanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
What's the value of your TMP environment variable?
^^^
Umm no idea what that means
If its something I know how to look up, I'd gladly tell you, Kovid.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:36 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Start a command prompt. Type the word "set" and press "Enter". This will list your environment variables. What does it say after "TMP" or "TEMP"?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:39 AM   #12
EtrnLwanderer

Thank you, HarryT

Kovid:
This is what shows up in my command prompt window:
TEMP=C:\DOCUME~1\MY NAME\LOCALS~1\TEMP
TMP=C:\DOCUME~1\MY NAME\LOCALS~1\TEMP
Old 02-29-2012, 08:15 AM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Hmm looks normal. Then I'm afraid I'm out of ideas at the moment (and I'm a little distracted right now, sorry)
Old 02-29-2012, 11:29 AM   #14
EtrnLwanderer

No worries, mate. I'll stick to the old version till you're back later. Enjoy your time away and wishing you and your wife all the very best