Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 05-12-2011, 10:34 AM   #1
andreasw
andreasw began at the beginning.

Device: none
Request for Feedback on E-book Web Template

I'm a software developer and would like to ask for your feedback on a prototype of an e-book web template that I have created:

http://www.wulfsoft.com/labs/ebook-template/

Is this something that would be useful to you? Do you think that such a template could be "productized" (with a nice website and proper documentation) and sold to indie authors for use for their own books?

I'd love to hear your thoughts. Thanks in advance!
andreasw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:26 PM   #2
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
I like it for this reason - when you turn the page, it returns to the top. Most online readers are embedded so the web page doesn't know you've turned the page, and if it's taller than your screen resolution, you have to scroll/pageup/home and it gets annoying quickly. Your template provides a better reading experience.

(Yes, you're asking for authors' impressions, but it helps if people enjoy using it. )
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2011, 04:24 AM   #3
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
I just tried it using Firefox. The program would not let me get away from it, and I had to close down Firefox to get out. Not impressed.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 08:07 AM   #4
andreasw
andreasw began at the beginning.

Device: none
@CWatkinsNash: Thank you for your feedback, I really appreciate it.

@AlexBell: Thanks for pointing this out. When testing the page I always opened it in a new browser tab. That's why I didn't notice that it breaks the browser's back button. I have now fixed this.
andreasw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:42 AM   #5
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
It would work better without the vertical scrolling. As a reader I don't like it because it makes it awkward to convert to mobi/epub, but I'm guessing paranoid writers and publishers are your main target audience. But doesn't Google have something like that already?
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2011, 12:34 AM   #6
Anke Wehner
Addict
Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PRS-650
How is that an ebook? Looks just like a website to me. Ebooks I can download and put on a dedicated ereader.
Anke Wehner is offline   Reply With Quote