Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-24-2010, 09:42 AM   #91
SharonK
Enthusiast
SharonK began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite
I have a couple of questions I'm hoping someone can answer. I've received my Kindle last month and this is my first time trying this. I understand that the screensavers need to go into the linkss/screensavers folder. And I have my new screensavers ready to go thanks to detailed instructions I found. However, do the screensavers have to have any specific name much as the fonts in the hack do? Also, if I have to remove the hack for major updates will I have to reinstall the original screensavers? I would appreciate any help you could give me.

S.
SharonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:32 AM   #92
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by IxiaAurea View Post
@NiLuJe
Thanks for your reply. I used the georgia font. Are the collection titles meant to be an italic georgia because it is the default one. TIA
Yep, the georgia font set use the default font as Sans_BoldItalic (collection names in the book list), and as Sans_Bold (collection name when browsing inside a collection). Georgia's not used here because Georgia is a Serif font, not a Sans or a Sans Serif one, and except for the Droid Sans as Serif case, we always try to use the 'right' type of fonts.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:35 AM   #93
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonK View Post
I have a couple of questions I'm hoping someone can answer. I've received my Kindle last month and this is my first time trying this. I understand that the screensavers need to go into the linkss/screensavers folder. And I have my new screensavers ready to go thanks to detailed instructions I found. However, do the screensavers have to have any specific name much as the fonts in the hack do? Also, if I have to remove the hack for major updates will I have to reinstall the original screensavers? I would appreciate any help you could give me.

S.
Nope, your screensavers can be named as you see fit. Their filename will only change the order in which they'll be displayed (that, or their timestamp, not sure yet).

And for major updates, you'll only have to delete the trigger file (linkss/auto), reboot, and you should then be able to install official updates without removing the hack.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:53 AM   #94
kornhill
kornhill began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jqqofgsm View Post
Thanks to NiLuJe, now I have a font package which supports chinese character. I tried it out on my Kindle 2i, and it worked. I put it in the attachment for download.
Hi, I use your font, in the browser page, for Chinese unicode website the title changed to Chinese display but the content are still those square. I see in your zip file there are 6 ttf files. Do I need change to make it 12 files like NiLuJe mentioned ?
kornhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:38 AM   #95
IxiaAurea
Connoisseur
IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Yep, the georgia font set use the default font as Sans_BoldItalic (collection names in the book list), and as Sans_Bold (collection name when browsing inside a collection). Georgia's not used here because Georgia is a Serif font, not a Sans or a Sans Serif one, and except for the Droid Sans as Serif case, we always try to use the 'right' type of fonts.
OK that's great. I kept thinking I did something wrong
Could you tell me what ttf file i need to change for the book titles on the home screen? The droid sans set is awesome but it's showing bold for everything on the home screens whereas is it possible to modify for the collections to be bold italics while the book titles to be regular/un-bold.
Or maybe a quick brief outline of what each ttf is for in the kindle e.g. titles, menu fonts? Book muncher and I would appreciate it! Thanks!
IxiaAurea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:50 AM   #96
kornhill
kornhill began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Quote:
Or maybe a quick brief outline of what each ttf is for in the kindle e.g. titles, menu fonts? Book muncher and I would appreciate it! Thanks!
I second that
kornhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:23 PM   #97
NiLuJe
BLAM!

No problem, here goes (it may not be completely accurate):

Sans_Regular.ttf: Used in the Settings & Experimental page for the explanation texts. Also for the dictionnary/note popups.
Sans_Bold.ttf: Used in the menus, in the top & bottom panel, and as the collection title when browsing a collection, and the inline text in the book & collection browsers (ie. the 'delete this item' stuff & co)
Sans_Italic.ttf: May be used alongside Sans_Regular or Sans_Bold somewhere ^^
Sans_BoldItalic.ttf: Used in the book list, for the collection names

Serif_*.ttf: Used in the reader, that's the font family your books will be rendered with.
Serif_Bold.ttf: Used in the book & collection browser for the book title & author. (NOTE: For these purposes, Serif_Regular is used instead on FW 3.x)

Mono_*.ttf: AFAICT, nowehere except in the browser, but I may be mistaken. (Might be used in the reader when you're feeding it a raw txt file or some raw html files, depending on styling).

And since v3.8.N, on FW 3.x:

CJK.ttf: Used for Chinese/Japanese/Korean scripts.
I18N.ttf: Last fallback for non-latin & non-cjk scripts.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 09-09-2011 at 10:12 PM.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:44 PM   #98
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Quote:
The droid sans set is awesome but it's showing bold for everything on the home screens whereas is it possible to modify for the collections to be bold italics while the book titles to be regular/un-bold.
Err, that's weird. With the Droid_Sans set, on the home screens, the collections should be bold italic (same font as my screenshots in the first post), and the book titles bold (same font as the menus).

So, if you really want regular book titles, you'll have to sacrifice the 'bold' style in your books, by using the Serif_Regular.ttf font as Serif_Bold.ttf.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:50 PM   #99
SharonK
Enthusiast

Quote:
And for major updates, you'll only have to delete the trigger file (linkss/auto), reboot, and you should then be able to install official updates without removing the hack.
Thank you so much for your answer. Now one more question where the answer seems obvious, but I'm checking, just in case. I assume after the update I would put the trigger file back in, or would I look for a new update?
Old 06-24-2010, 02:57 PM   #100
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Provided amazon didn't change the behaviour of some part of the system we depend on, putting back the trigger file and rebooting should suffice, yeah.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:56 PM   #101
SharonK
Enthusiast

Okay, I did something wrong when I was trying to install the jailbreak file, as nothing happened. Here's what I've done so far. I'm using Windows 7 and I went in and unchecked the "Hidden Files and Folders". Then I went into the system folder, which I thought was the root directory. Or is that my problem - thinking! Anyway, I supposedly have a k2i version and installed that file. Then I ejected from the computer, pressed home on my Kindle, then menu. Moved down to settings and pressed the joy stick, pressed menu again and "update your Kindle" is greyed out. Can anyone tell where/what I did wrong?
Old 06-24-2010, 05:02 PM   #102
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonK View Post
Okay, I did something wrong when I was trying to install the jailbreak file, as nothing happened. Here's what I've done so far. I'm using Windows 7 and I went in and unchecked the "Hidden Files and Folders". Then I went into the system folder, which I thought was the root directory. Or is that my problem - thinking! Anyway, I supposedly have a k2i version and installed that file. Then I ejected from the computer, pressed home on my Kindle, then menu. Moved down to settings and pressed the joy stick, pressed menu again and "update your Kindle" is greyed out. Can anyone tell where/what I did wrong?
What do you mean by 'nothing happened'?

I'm not sure I'm following you, but if you put a .bin in the system folder, that would explain why the update option is greyed out. It's indeed not the root directory . The .bin files have to be in the root directory to be picked up by the Kindle software.

Also, which .bin file are we talking about? The jailbreak, or another hack?
Old 06-24-2010, 05:29 PM   #103
SharonK
Enthusiast

Okay, it seems I perhaps don't know enough about computers to do this, but I think so. I mistakenly thought the system directory was the root directory which explains why nothing happened. So I corrected my mistake, and that time it worked, or in this case didn't which is what it's supposed to do. Thanks for the help. I thought I was doing something obvious wrong, it just didn't occur to me what.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:54 PM   #104
SharonK
Enthusiast

To NiLuJe - I really want to thank you for helping me out today. It was great knowing I had someone I could ask about my problem. So maybe you do watch the forum and answer questions, but not everyone does. I appreciate the help. I now have all my screensavers installed and maybe in a few days I'll be brave enough to try new fonts. On the other hand, I've never used anything else and these don't really bother me.

S.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:39 PM   #105
jglerner
Connoisseur
jglerner doesn't litterjglerner doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3g (US), KT & PaperWhite, Nook ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@jglerner: Unless W64 also does weird things with FAT USB mounts, messing up the casing of filenames for example.
@NiLuJe

That was my first thought, I´ll try to clarify that.
jglerner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fonts, fw3, hack, jailbreak 3.1, niluje's hacks, screensavers, usbnet