Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 06-21-2012, 04:23 PM   #1
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
This is how you advertise your book!

I gotta say "wow!"

SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:28 PM   #2
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Meh, too much sex selling the book. I'd rather sell it on its own merits rather than some hot, thinly dressed woman on a gorgeous black horse. :P
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:38 PM   #3
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
A red fem-bot in golden cowboy boots, astride a horse that Zorro is going to storm in and demand back any moment now, and a plastic shower curtain draped over the horse behind the saddle. Yeah, that's a great idea for selling a romance novel.

(Beautiful, gorgeous, well trained, magnificent horse, want one!)
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:11 PM   #4
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
A red fem-bot in golden cowboy boots, astride a horse that Zorro is going to storm in and demand back any moment now, and a plastic shower curtain draped over the horse behind the saddle. Yeah, that's a great idea for selling a romance novel.

(Beautiful, gorgeous, well trained, magnificent horse, want one!)
(my Bold)

Personally the thought that hits me is

(Beautiful, gorgeous, well trained, magnificent woman, want one!)

Hey, you folks do realize that is the authoress riding that horse, don't you?

Last edited by SeaKing; 06-21-2012 at 06:15 PM.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:20 PM   #5
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
Hey, you folks do realize that is the authoress riding that horse, don't you?
I really, really hope she's better at writing than she is at advertising...
Old 06-21-2012, 06:30 PM   #6
SeaKing
Frequent Flier

Quote:
Wow, you got back quick on that one. I didn't even get to go get supper.

Personally I hope that she writes as well as she advertises, but maybe that is an old sailor thing.

I don't usually do romance type books, but I will watch for that one at my Ingles and Walmart, and pop the cover to see how it reads.

Or maybe Amazon will let me look inside a bit.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:32 PM   #7
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Got your attention, didn't it? Then it's already done its job.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:35 PM   #8
Lazer
Groupie
Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
What horse?
Lazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:56 AM   #9
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
Got your attention, didn't it? Then it's already done its job.
Good point, but maybe over-simplified. If I step in horse manure by accident, that also gets my attention, but not exactly in a way that makes me want to recommend the experience to my friends.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:13 AM   #10
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
i hate to be a buzz killington but according to research, sex doesn't actually sell-

http://www.spring.org.uk/2007/06/sex...s-violence.php

"According to the 2005 book Sex in Advertising: Perspectives on the Erotic Appeal, about one-fifth of all ads employ sex in an attempt to sell. The problem is that studies have shown that subjects are no more likely to recall erotic ads than non-erotic ones. And women in particular are more likely to perceive too much sex in marketing as a negative.

A recent study found that nudity has no positive impact on movie popularity with viewers or critics. Top-grossing films, such as Spider-Man, typically have only mild sex or nudity. “Sex did not sell, whether in the domestic or international box office,” said Dean Keith Simonton, professor of psychology at the University of California–Davis. “Even among R movies, less graphic sex is better.”

The same goes for video gaming. Yes, you heard me, gaming, that world frequented mainly by sexually repressed and immature young men—or so goes the stereotype. Apparently, they aren’t impressed with straightforward sex. Playboy games have been met with indifference, and even cartoon adventurer Lara Croft has had her body “reduced to more anatomically feasible proportions” at the same time as her critical stock has risen."

http://www.bidwellid.com/blog/sex-do...sell-products/
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:22 AM   #11
SeaKing
Frequent Flier

O.K. scoffers. Let's analyze my reaction.

I first saw a beautiful woman, good strong legs, over bosomy, thick waist.
That's a sailors view!
And she was on a horse! Seemingly quite comfortable in an action position.

I didn't know who she (Katie Price or Jordan) was. I looked her up on Google.
(How many authors do I look up? - not many!) It turns out she was a model, business woman, married a few times, now a writer, and was a good horsewoman, and it was her on the horse.

She has gotten my attention though she probably has written only a standard "romantic novel" which will not interest me very much. It does have a nice title though.

Pretty good advertising, I would say.

Now I don't expect to buy the book, but I will look into it because I am a bit curious. Maybe she will beat expectations. Maybe not.

She has attracted attention from me, and I imagine a lot of other people.
I call that "good advertising."
Old 06-22-2012, 10:27 AM   #12
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I'm not sure how much of it she actually wrote. She is largely a professional celebrity, if you see what I mean. Gossip magazine fodder.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:18 PM   #13
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
Hopefully she's written none of it. It's hard to imagine anything written by such a vacuous bimbo being worth reading.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:27 PM   #14
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
I'm not sure how much of it she actually wrote. She is largely a professional celebrity, if you see what I mean. Gossip magazine fodder.
Katie Price talks to World of Books.com about her ghost writer, children’s fiction and reading true crime.
Quote:
Q: Now, here’s one that needs clearing up, you’ve mentioned in the past that ghost-writers write your books, having worked closely with you for direction. What does your role as ‘Director’ entail? And how much involvement do you ensure you have?

- I write all my books with Rebecca Farnworth. We’re a great team. With the non fiction I speak what happens in my life into a Dictaphone and Rebecca then tidies it up and writes it up. We then go through it all chapter by chapter. With the fiction, we meet up and have great fun coming up with the storylines and then go through it chapter by chapter as Rebecca writes it.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:42 PM   #15
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
Ok, now I want to see that Rebecca on a horse!
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote