Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-13-2009, 11:38 AM   #16
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRoss View Post
It's easy enough to open a book and check how big it is/how much of it I've read.
On the K2, yes. But on the K1 when you open the book the line of dots is the same length regardless of the length of the book, and it doesn't list the total number of locations.

So you can tell roughly what % of the book you've read, but no way to gauge how long it is and how many pages/locations you have left.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 02:13 PM   #17
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Once you are used to the K1, you easily get a feeling for how quickly the dots are becoming black, so that you can gauge your progress. Also, the location numbers become familiar after a while. Of course, the relative length of the dots on the Home Page give a relative size, also.

It's all in what you are used to.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2009, 03:00 PM   #18
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, it's no big deal. I just wish the K1 had the total locations listed too.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:54 PM   #19
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
So you can tell roughly what % of the book you've read, but no way to gauge how long it is and how many pages/locations you have left.
I don't see it as much different than looking at where the bookmark is in a printed volume to see how far it is from the end.

Mike
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 07:15 PM   #20
dmaul1114
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMikeD View Post
I don't see it as much different than looking at where the bookmark is in a printed volume to see how far it is from the end.

Mike
In a print book you can simply flip to the end and see how many pages you have, or gauge by the thickness of the book and where you are.

On the K1 the dots span the bottom of the screen when a book is open regardless of how long the book is and it doesn't list total number of locations so you can't tell easily. You could jump to the end of the book or last chapter or something I suppose. But that's annoying and the K1 is so slow to jump to places in a book and back to bookmarks etc.

Again, it's just a minor annoyance. For instance, I no I'm roughly 75% through Crime and Punishment but have no idea how many "pages" I have left as I haven't bothered to jump to the end to see how many locations there are.

Sounds like the K2 has fixed the issue reasonably, by listing % read and total locations though.
Advert
Old 04-13-2009, 09:12 PM   #21
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Yeah, I know how the Kindle 1 does it. I've had one for a year. I just don't see the difference between gauging how far you've read by the thickness of a book versus the progress meter. Both work just fine for me.

Mike
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:13 PM   #22
dmaul1114
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMikeD View Post
Yeah, I know how the Kindle 1 does it. I've had one for a year. I just don't see the difference between gauging how far you've read by the thickness of a book versus the progress meter. Both work just fine for me.

Mike
You can tell % through the book the same, but you don't have a sense of how many pages you have left on the K1 since the progress bar is the same length on the book page regardless of length of the book.

i.e., you know you're half way through, but can't tell if you have 100 pages or 500 pages left just by glancing at the progress bar. You have to know how many locations there are, and unfortunately it doesn't list that like the K2.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:01 AM   #23
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
i.e., you know you're half way through, but can't tell if you have 100 pages or 500 pages left just by glancing at the progress bar. You have to know how many locations there are, and unfortunately it doesn't list that like the K2.
On the K1, selecting "Go to Location" from the menu will show you the size of the book (i.e., what the final location number is). It takes a second or two, and it is not always on-screen, but it is pretty easily available.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 11:49 AM   #24
dmaul1114
Wizard

Good to know.

And yeah, slowness with stuff like that would probably be my biggest gripe with the Kindle. For the price I really didn't think things like that, or opening a book, or getting to a bookmark, or looking up a word would take so long. The processor is damn slow.

Oh well, one of the costs of being an early adopter I guess.