Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-19-2010, 03:16 PM   #1
jswinden
Nameless Being

What is the K3 default sans serif font?

I actually like the K3 default sans serif font except I would like to make it bold. Currently I use calibre to change the CSS by adding body { font-weight: bold; }.

But since the font hack now works on the K3, changing this to the bold font would be great and would save me from a lot of conversions, but I cannot figure out what the font is. It is not HelveticaNeue 65 LT Medium; though close there are some differences.

So has anyone positively identified the default sans serif font?
Old 09-19-2010, 07:02 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Code:
sansserif.plain=Helvetica_LT_65_Medium.ttf
sansserif.bold=Helvetica_LT_75_Bold.ttf
sansserif.italic=Helvetica_LT_66_Medium_Italic.ttf
sansserif.bolditalic=Helvetica_LT_76_Bold_Italic.ttf
Code:
<alias>
        <family>Helvetica Neue LT</family>
        <family>Kindle Symbol</family>
        <family>HeiseiMaruGoth_JIS0213_E</family>
        <family>HangulGothicMTC-Medium_E</family>
        <family>MHeiGB18030C-Medium_E</family>
        <family>MHeiC-Medium-Big5HKSCS_E</family>
        <family>Code2000</family>    
        <default>
            <family>sans-serif</family>
        </default>
</alias>
It is Helvetica Neue LT . (The version bundled with the 3.x fw may have some tweaked outlines/custom TT hinting instructions though).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2010, 11:17 AM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yep, they heavily modified it, the family name of the font file itself is now "Helvetica Neue LT 65 Kindle Medium" for the regular for example, the "Helvetica Neue LT" is just a FontConfig substitution to make the naming/metadata consistent across all the fonts.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:46 AM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

Thanks. When/if you get your font hack working for the K3 I guess I can just change sansserif.plain=Helvetica_LT_65_Medium.ttf to sansserif.plain=Helvetica_LT_75_Bold.ttf, and leave the rest alone. That way I would have the sans serif font but it would always be bold.

Do you know when you might have a font hack ready?
Old 09-20-2010, 11:59 AM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!

I'm working on it right now, it should be ready in a few days at worst .
Advert