Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-03-2009, 12:52 PM   #1
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2 + HDX 8.9
Kindle Noob with 1+ year experience with K1.

I can do anything with the K1, but I can't make books show up with KDX

I sent stuff wirelessly and it doesn't show on the KDX, and downloads from Archived items hang. And I copied over 50 DRM Free PDF and PRC and they don't show on the Home page (copied them to Documents). Argh. Help? Thanks!
GatorDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 01:09 PM   #2
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
I can do anything with the K1, but I can't make books show up with KDX

I sent stuff wirelessly and it doesn't show on the KDX, and downloads from Archived items hang. And I copied over 50 DRM Free PDF and PRC and they don't show on the Home page (copied them to Documents). Argh. Help? Thanks!
1. Is your DX correctly registered on your account?
2. Is the stuff sent wirelessly from Amazon? If so, did you try the Check for New & Sync menu option? Sometimes this can take some time to occur - I guess depending on traffic business, etc. Is your Whispernet on?
Silly questions - but have to start somewhere.

Also - go to Manage My Kindle and look at the delivery box for your DX - what shows up? Is it listed as complete or pending?

Last edited by poohbear_nc; 07-03-2009 at 01:11 PM.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 01:13 PM   #3
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
1. Is your DX correctly registered on your account?
2. Is the stuff sent wirelessly from Amazon? If so, did you try the Check for New & Sync menu option? Sometimes this can take some time to occur - I guess depending on traffic business, etc. Is your Whispernet on?
Silly questions - but have to start somewhere.

Also - go to Manage My Kindle and look at the delivery box for your DX - what shows up? Is it listed as complete or pending?

It SHOWS on my account... how do I make sure it's CORRECTLY registered? (and I'm not yelling, it's just that bolding takes a lot more work )

It says Successful if I try to do it from the web, and it hangs if I try to download from the Kindle.

But the weirdest thing is that stuff I copy over USB is not showing up

Last edited by GatorDeb; 07-03-2009 at 01:18 PM.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:18 PM   #4
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It SHOWS on my account... how do I make sure it's CORRECTLY registered? (and I'm not yelling, it's just that bolding takes a lot more work )

It says pending if I try to do it from the web, and it hangs if I try to download from the Kindle.

What is showing up on your Home screen?

Does the listing for the DX have a name & an email address? Is that email address listed in your permitted email senders below?

When you access the Archives - are you pushing the stick to the right (I think) to bring up the move to home screen option box or trying to open the book and then exit back to the Home screen? I've had this download hang.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:19 PM   #5
poohbear_nc
Now what?

When you have the DX connected via USB - what folders are available on the DX? Have you tried putting the PDFs into another folder?
Old 07-03-2009, 01:23 PM   #6
GatorDeb
Evangelist

I have Audible, Documents, and Music. Home is EMPTY. I tried clicking and right clicking on Archives and nothing, nothing in Home. The stuff that got delivered to the Kindle appears in Documents when hooked to the PC, so it got downloaded. The only problem is that Home is empty
Old 07-03-2009, 01:27 PM   #7
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Quote:
I have Audible, Documents, and Music. Home is EMPTY. I tried clicking and right clicking on Archives and nothing, nothing in Home. The stuff that got delivered to the Kindle appears in Documents when hooked to the PC, so it got downloaded. The only problem is that Home is empty
Try a soft reset - hold the button to the right for 20-30 seconds to force a reboot. If that doesn't change anything, force it off - hold the button over until the unit powers down, have a Coke to calm down, then restart it.

Is it fully charged? Are you taking the USB cable out before looking at the Home screen?

If none of this helps, call Customer Support. I'm out of ideas for now - but will keep thinking!
Old 07-03-2009, 01:33 PM   #8
GatorDeb
Evangelist

Fully charged.

Hold which button to the right? Tried it with the joystick and power button and nothing.

If the Kindle was still connected to the PC I wouldn't see the Home screen

Sigh.

P.S. the DX should have come with a built-in user's manual and I don't even have that.

I created folders for the K1, can liberate every file format out there including PDF, know how to load library books to the K1, and I can't make a book show up on the Home screen.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:39 PM   #9
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Quote:
Fully charged.

Hold which button to the right? Tried it with the joystick and power button and nothing.

If the Kindle was still connected to the PC I wouldn't see the Home screen

Sigh.

P.S. the DX should have come with a built-in user's manual and I don't even have that.

I created folders for the K1, can liberate every file format out there including PDF, know how to load library books to the K1, and I can't make a book show up on the Home screen.
I think you got a defective DX - esp. if the Manual isn't even showing up on the Home screen - and may need a factory reset - you'll need an Amazon tech to talk you through that one - they can do it over the phone with you.

Call Support & get them cracking on it - or get a replacement in the works!
Let us know what you find out! Good luck!
Old 07-03-2009, 01:43 PM   #10
GatorDeb
Evangelist

YAY tech support fixed it !!

They had me restart it. Menu, settings, menu, restart.

Whee.

P.S. I am IN LOVE. No resizing of PDF but it's VERY readable from the site I get them from. Awesome. I love this thing.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:45 PM   #11
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Quote:
YAY tech support fixed it !!

They had me restart it. Menu, settings, menu, restart.

Whee.
for joy! Enjoy your new DX!
Old 07-03-2009, 01:48 PM   #12
GatorDeb
Evangelist

Thanks for the help And it was so easy to get in touch with tech support!!

I wonder what happened.

PDF rendering is awesome.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:56 PM   #13
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Quote:
Thanks for the help And it was so easy to get in touch with tech support!!

I wonder what happened.

PDF rendering is awesome.
I call something like this an electronic hiccup!

PDF support has been a contentious issue on these forums - you might want to post about your experiences after you have had the weekend to explore it fully.
Happy 4th!
Old 07-03-2009, 04:08 PM   #14
Sporadic
Banned
Sporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with others

Device: Kindle 1
Quote:

It says Successful if I try to do it from the web, and it hangs if I try to download from the Kindle.

You are downloading the ideas again from Amazon's site (in Manage Your Kindle) and not trying to copy the files from Kindle 1 to DX, right?

Each file has a special number in it that ties it to your device.

- edit Never mind, I didn't read the whole thread. Glad you got it working!
Sporadic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 07:54 PM   #15
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
BTW, quite a few people had the problem with archives not showing up.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote