Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-07-2011, 10:24 PM   #1
jana_leigh14
jana_leigh14 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Question about Apps

Hi, I just got my Kobo vox and I have lots of questions. First, I tried to download some apps from Get Apps and when I downloaded them it said they weren't safe un less I got them from get apps (which I did!) So i changed the security setting and it let me install them. Is this ok?
jana_leigh14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:29 PM   #2
jana_leigh14
jana_leigh14 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Also, when it asks me if i want to install an application (like overdrive) it says i am allow it to have personal information yada yada yada and store -modify/delete SD card contents. ???? Will apps actually delete my contents? I'm sorry if my questions are totally stupid. I just want to go about this right!
jana_leigh14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:50 PM   #3
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Okay, if you're getting apps from the GetJar market, the first thing I'll have to tell you is that you need to go into Settings - Applications and then check 'Install Non-Market Applications'. The way the Kobo's set up by default, it won't install anything except through the official Google App Market, which is not installed. Therefore, if you want to install applications downloaded from GetJar (the Get Apps link), you need to tell Android that you're allowing it to install these applications.

Beyond that, these prompts are telling you what an application does BEFORE you continue with it, unlike Windows or MacOS where you could install a program that basically gives your computer away to someone in Estonia as Windows won't tell you the program you're installing takes all control away from you.

In the case of Overdrive, it needs to know what hardware it's on, it needs to be able to save files or delete files onto the device, and needs Internet access to connect to Overdrive's servers - which is why it's asking for permission to access information on the device, to read and delete items off the SD card, and to get Internet access. It's telling you ahead of time what it needs, which is meant to give you warning if you're installing something that's not legitimate (for example, a 'free' wallpaper application which needs access to all your Contacts, needs to be able to connect to the Internet and send SMS messages is probably not a legitimate program).
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:13 AM   #4
46jimbo
Zealot
46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: Kobo Touch + Kobo Aura
Quote:
Okay, if you're getting apps from the GetJar market, the first thing I'll have to tell you is that you need to go into Settings - Applications and then check 'Install Non-Market Applications'. The way the Kobo's set up by default, it won't install anything except through the official Google App Market, which is not installed.
So why didn't Kobo ship the Vox with this settings permission already enabled?
46jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:41 AM   #5
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46jimbo View Post
Because it makes the device less secure and there is no way that any provider is going to ship a device with a default that is less secure than the standard Android way. There will be some Vox owners who (believe it or not) will never use an app that did not come preinstalled and probably have some concerns about apps downloading and installing willy-nilly. Why the manual does not tell you to change the settings in the section about downloading apps, now that (IMO) is the real question.

Last edited by taming; 11-08-2011 at 09:43 AM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:51 PM   #6
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46jimbo View Post
For the same reason that you usually have to check a checkbox when agreeing to something - so that you're aware that you did so.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apps