Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-19-2010, 04:18 PM   #1
ebooker
Banned
ebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: sony prs-650!
prs-650 handmade covers: easy, pretty, cheap

Since I dont want to spend $35 on an ill-fitting sony official cover for my new prs 650, I decided to go the cheap route and make an easy one.

I dont know if people have already posted along these lines, but I thought I'd post what I'm doing.

I find the official sony cover to be "ill-fitting" because, if you look at it closely, you'll notice that in the middle of the binding, they left in the entire housing for the swing-out light, since they're re-using the same design for the "lighted" cover, for the un-lighted one. They even left the little light "switch" on it, even on the unlighted version.This means you have a huge middle binding (and 1/3 of a pound of weight) even if you dont want the light. So the sleek small size and lightweight of the sony reader is offset by this ridiculously big cover for it.

Its also ridiculously overpriced at $35.

1) Step one: The prs-650 dimensions are 4.5" by 6.5". So find a 5x7" journal cover. This gives a 1/4" margin all around while fitting it very well. Journal covers are available on ebay and elsewhere, there are incredibly pretty ones available, leatherette, embossed, and for just a few dollars. My personal favorites are made by a company called "7 gypsies", each is literally $5 or so. See samples below taken from ebay (search ebay or google images for "7 gypsies journal cover").

2) Take a strip of velcro (available at your corner drugstore). You do not need to deface your sony reader by sticking velcro on it. Instead, we are going to stick the velcro onto the journal cover (inside, obviously, where the reader is going to go), and then use the "felt" side of the velcro to fashion four "loops" which will act as the corner "brackets" for the reader.
I'll post pics of this soon as I get the materials. Its a very clean look.

3) Optional: Get some "magnetic tape" or "peel and stick business card magnets" from ebay. Few bucks. You see, the corners of the prs-650 are magnetized. That is, the right edge, upper and lower corner, clearly to allow a magnetized-journal cover to close smartly when the reader is enclosed by a cover.
So just cut the magnetic tape to size, peel and stick two small circles on the corners of the journal cover where it will close upon the reader. Presto - it stays closed when you close it.

Done. Total cost: about $12 to $15, and very pretty, and well-fitting, and functional cover. Requiring nothing more than peeling and sticking some velcro and (optionally) some peel and stick magnetic tape.

UPDATE: my mistake, these are sold as two separate halves, and will need some kind of binding (leather scrap, or spiral, or etc). That will add another $5 to $10 to the cost, and adds an extra step. Maybe other journal covers come with binding, I dont know. Or pick up a cheap old hardcover 5x7 book or journal, rip the pages out of it, and use that?

Last edited by ebooker; 10-20-2010 at 07:13 PM.
ebooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 04:55 PM   #2
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebooker View Post
I find the official sony cover to be "ill-fitting" because, if you look at it closely, you'll notice that in the middle of the binding, they left in the entire housing for the swing-out light, since they're re-using the same design for the "lighted" cover, for the un-lighted one. They even left the little light "switch" on it, even on the unlighted version.This means you have a huge middle binding (and 1/3 of a pound of weight) even if you dont want the light. So the sleek small size and lightweight of the sony reader is offset by this ridiculously big cover for it.
I don't recognise this description--I bought my official cover in the UK, and it is snug and light. Still, the journal covers you describe look interesting; I don't know if we have them over here.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 05:13 PM   #3
ebooker
Banned
ebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
I don't recognise this description--I bought my official cover in the UK, and it is snug and light. Still, the journal covers you describe look interesting; I don't know if we have them over here.
i was going by the pictures up on the sony US site... but that said, I just got in on the offer of the free lighted cover, so i will have an official one in my hands in a few days. I'll be able to check it out in person and update my report.
That said, i'm going to make my own as above anyway I think. Its cheap/quick and kind of fun.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:44 AM   #4
jlbfoot
idiot
jlbfoot began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505, 300, and 650
I have both the standard and lighted covers and can confirm that they are different from one another. The standard cover does not have the extra space in the binding. The lighted cover is wider to accommodate the light. The reader fits perfectly in both and the covers fold back easily on both. The light has nice diffusion and does not leave any dark areas on the screen. Having said that, your idea is appreciated and the pictures of the covers that you posted do look cool (or "sick" in the current vernacular).
jlbfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:10 PM   #5
ebooker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbfoot View Post
I have both the standard and lighted covers and can confirm that they are different from one another. The standard cover does not have the extra space in the binding. The lighted cover is wider to accommodate the light. The reader fits perfectly in both and the covers fold back easily on both. The light has nice diffusion and does not leave any dark areas on the screen. Having said that, your idea is appreciated and the pictures of the covers that you posted do look cool (or "sick" in the current vernacular).
its possible that sony hasnt updated the pics on their site. The un-lighted cover looks exactly like the lighted one, on the site anyway.
I do hope they are different though, as you report. Any chance you could upload a pic of the un-lighted one (with cover opened so we can see the binding)?
I'm receiving a lighted one, nice that its free, but i'd really prefer a lighter, better fitting un-lighted one. I'd have to wait for a sale or a coupon, but heck, if the sony one fits nicely, I wouldnt mind just paying 20 bucks or so for it on sale.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:19 PM   #6
jlbfoot
idiot

Quote:
its possible that sony hasnt updated the pics on their site. The un-lighted cover looks exactly like the lighted one, on the site anyway.
I do hope they are different though, as you report. Any chance you could upload a pic of the un-lighted one (with cover opened so we can see the binding)?
I'm receiving a lighted one, nice that its free, but i'd really prefer a lighter, better fitting un-lighted one. I'd have to wait for a sale or a coupon, but heck, if the sony one fits nicely, I wouldnt mind just paying 20 bucks or so for it on sale.
I noticed the same thing on the Sony site...the picture of the standard cover needs to be updated. I can't upload a picture, as I'm at work. But, the binding of the standard cover hugs the left side of the reader when closed, and barely protrudes beyond the left side of the reader when opened and folded back. It fits almost like the cover was made for the reader .
Old 10-20-2010, 01:31 PM   #7
Bro Pete
Connoisseur
Bro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Sony PRS 650
ebooker, help me out here. When I look at the wesite it seems as though these journal covers are held together by rings. Is that so? Or are they put together like a real book cover? are there any pockets or sleeves on the inside? I would love my reader to look like a book.
Bro Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 01:51 PM   #8
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: divisive reader
Edited by boxcorner

Last edited by boxcorner; 10-26-2010 at 02:38 AM.
boxcorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 02:22 PM   #9
Sapphire
Enthusiast
Sapphire can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sapphire can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sapphire can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sapphire can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sapphire can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sapphire can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sapphire can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sapphire can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sapphire can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sapphire can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sapphire can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Sony 505 & 650
PRS-650 Cover Pictures

Standard

Red: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=732232&is=REG

Black: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=732230&is=REG

Lighted

Red: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=732198&is=REG

Black: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=732177&is=REG

Last edited by Sapphire; 10-20-2010 at 02:27 PM.
Sapphire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 03:44 PM   #10
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
I think you'll find that the covers with rings are the company logo for the cover manufacturer whereas the larger pictures are the actual covers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro Pete View Post
ebooker, help me out here. When I look at the wesite it seems as though these journal covers are held together by rings. Is that so? Or are they put together like a real book cover? are there any pockets or sleeves on the inside? I would love my reader to look like a book.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 04:51 PM   #11
ebooker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro Pete View Post
no no, ignore the small pic with the rings. That pic is referring to something else. The main pic to look at is the 5x7 journal covers themselves. Those have a normal binding that flexes. In other words they are put together like a real book cover.

No pockets or sleeves. And ya, the 5x7 journal covers above make it 'look like a real book', like an old book you might find in a library or something. Its really quite a nice look.

Also the covers are "leatherette" and have nice "wear marks" and "emboss marks" on them, giving them that "aged book" look, very very nice. Like something you'd find in a dusty old library.

See here for more pics of these "7 gypsies" journal covers:

"vintage cover"
"victoria cover"
"ruban cover" (one of my favs)
"red cover"
"embossed elizabeth cover"

UPDATE: I TAKE IT ALL BACK. BRO PETE, LOOKS LIKE YOU WERE RIGHT. THESE ARE TWO SEPARATE HALVES... and will need some kind of binding.

Last edited by ebooker; 10-20-2010 at 07:11 PM.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:52 PM   #12
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Quote:
3) You see, the corners of the prs-650 are magnetized. That is, the right edge, upper and lower corner, clearly to allow a magnetized-journal cover to close smartly when the reader is enclosed by a cover.

The PRS-350 is also magnetized in those areas. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 04:55 PM   #13
ebooker
Banned

sapphire, jlbfoot -- thanks very much for the info and pics on the sony regular cover. I could definitely live with the regular cover (if i got it on sale). I guess sony had not updated its pics. Thats why I went looking for an alternate cover.

So i'm about to receive the lighted cover (the cover I least want, lol). Perhaps I can sell if off on ebay and get the regular sony cover. But like I said, I already ordered the 'ruban' journal cover above, so I'll make that homemade one first and see if I like it better anyway.

If the ereader is held securely in the homemade one (which shouldnt be a problem with velcro loops, as others have reported), then maybe I'll just save the $35. We'll see. I'll post pics once my homemade journal cover is done. Shouldnt take too long once it arrives.

Last edited by ebooker; 10-20-2010 at 05:02 PM.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:35 PM   #14
jlbfoot
idiot

Quote:
I'll post pics once my homemade journal cover is done. Shouldnt take too long once it arrives.
Great, can't wait to see it!

I hate to mention this, but it looks to me like there are 2 pieces to the "cover" from 7 gypsies. In other words, a front piece and a separate back piece...not bound together. Tell me I'm mistaken...please!
Old 10-20-2010, 06:50 PM   #15
ebooker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbfoot View Post
Great, can't wait to see it!

I hate to mention this, but it looks to me like there are 2 pieces to the "cover" from 7 gypsies. In other words, a front piece and a separate back piece...not bound together. Tell me I'm mistaken...please!
from the description I read, I thought it meant that there are "2 sets" in each package (ie, 2 full normal book-style covers), rather than two "pieces" of front and back. At least, I hope so! The reason I think this is because in all the pics I googled, I can kind of clearly see a "binding" on each one. The binding can be seen more clearly in some pics as opposed to other pics.

That said, having never used them though, I'm only going by what I see in the googled pics. My journal cover will be here in a few days tho, so I can confirm this once I receive the package.

If it turns out we have to make our own binding, I'll be sorely disappointed!

UPDATE: you may be right :-( At least some of the covers do appear to come as "separated" front/back covers. The amazon description says that :-( So maybe a binding needs to be provided. Er, duct tape? Anyone have any ideas?

Damn. thats as disappointing as the lighted sony cover!
the covers at amazon.

Last edited by ebooker; 10-20-2010 at 06:57 PM.