Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-26-2010, 10:47 AM   #1
gulo
Enthusiast
gulo is on a distinguished road

Device: nook
Eastern European characters on Nook - help !

Hi

I received my Nook last night and I was in for a terrible surprise when I found out that if won't display eastern European (Czech and Slovak) diacritic.

It does seem to show some characters like ž, ú or á but instead of ř, ě or č it just shows a question mark.

Please someone tell me there is a way to fix this !

I know that PDF files can have fonts embeded and those are OK but I really want to use epub. Should I maybe use different encoding ? Is there a way to embed font in epub ? What are the chances of someone replacing the font in a rooted Nook ?

Please help, I got tons of Czech and Slovak books I want to read.

thanks a lot !

gulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:24 AM   #2
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Use Atlantis word processor, there is an option to save as epub with embedded fonts; just save as ebook!l very easy and user-friendly.

But embedded-font epub file is very big, 5-6 pages takes around 400kb; whilst same document (embedded font) in PDF takes just 50kb. I prefer PDF because I don't need to change font size during reading. I can create a very neat PDF format for my Nook, minimal margins.

See my Thai PDF below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nook_pdf.jpg
Views:	625
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	44338  

Last edited by bthoven; 01-26-2010 at 11:42 AM.
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2010, 11:36 AM   #3
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Try making pdf (with the exact dimensions of the screen) and convert it to epub.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 01:09 PM   #4
Peter Sorotokin
speaking for myself
Peter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it is

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulo View Post
Hi

I received my Nook last night and I was in for a terrible surprise when I found out that if won't display eastern European (Czech and Slovak) diacritic.

It does seem to show some characters like ž, ú or á but instead of ř, ě or č it just shows a question mark.

Please someone tell me there is a way to fix this !

I know that PDF files can have fonts embeded and those are OK but I really want to use epub. Should I maybe use different encoding ? Is there a way to embed font in epub ? What are the chances of someone replacing the font in a rooted Nook ?

Please help, I got tons of Czech and Slovak books I want to read.

thanks a lot !
There is certainly a way to embed fonts in epub (I mostly read in Russian, so I have to do it all the time). You can download epubgen-0.5.0.jar from http://code.google.com/p/epub-tools/, run it on a .docx file and see what it does. At some point I want to morph it into a tool that would embed fonts into a given epub file, but that is still a long way off.

Epubgen subsets the font so the bloat is not that big (roughly the same as it would have been for PDF).

Last edited by Peter Sorotokin; 01-26-2010 at 01:11 PM.
Peter Sorotokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 01:37 PM   #5
gulo
Enthusiast
gulo is on a distinguished road

Device: nook
eveyone thank you for your replies !

First of all I am able to convert my epubs to PDF in Calibre and it displays the fonts fine, the problem is that I lose my chapters in the process, not sure why. I tried to add chapter detection based on <h2> tag but it's not working, I must be doing something wrong.

Peter Sorotokin: I created a small test file and your solution worked like a charm but again there are some major issues. First of all my books are in epub format and your tool accepts Word documents. Calibre can't export to doc so there is no easy way I can think of to automate this process, also if I just manually copy/paste the text in Word I again lose my chapters, plus of course all the book tags and metadata. But the embeded epub font does work on Nook so it definitely looks like solution would work if there was a way to apply it directly to an epub file.

I am still wondering if a rooted Nook can have its fonts replaced. I came across this http://www.android-devs.com/?p=33 so I would think it's possible.
gulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert