Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 08-03-2011, 04:38 AM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
How to handle 'Tis and 'Twas

I accept that this may be thought to be a trivial question, but I'm just a trifle obsessional.

The background is that I'm converting 'The Wild Geese' by Stanley J. Weyman from Gutenberg HTML to ePub. The book was published in 1908 and is set in Ireland at the time of George 1, and the Gutenberg HTML has straight quotes which I'm converting to curly quotes by hand.

The text is replete with 'Tis and 'Twas and some other words with an initial apostrophe. Should the apostrophe lean to the left or to the right? I've been making then lean to the left so far, and think that looks better.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:43 AM   #2
colinsky
Addict
colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
colinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2011, 05:32 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
A curly apostrophe is always the same shape, regardless of where it is placed; that's the same shape as the common closing single quote, or a comma.

It is only "inverted" whet it is not an apostrophe at all, but an opening single quote.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:43 AM   #4
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
A curly apostrophe is always the same shape, regardless of where it is placed; that's the same shape as the common closing single quote, or a comma.

It is only "inverted" whet it is not an apostrophe at all, but an opening single quote.
Rats! I've got to first proof reading stage, so now I'll have to go back and change them.

Thanks anyway.

Is there a manual anywhere that has this kind of information so I don't make a mistake like this again?
Old 08-05-2011, 04:11 PM   #5
Faster
Connoisseur
Faster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Sony PRS 650
What app are you using to proof read the html?
If it's MS Word the following will convert the straight quotes (single and double) to curly quotes -
Open a copy of the html file in Word
Go to Tools - AutoCorrect Options - AutoFormat As You Type
Check "Straight quotes" with "smart quotes", click OK
CTRL H for Find/Replace
In the Find box type a " and in the Replace box type the same "
Click Replace All
Then do the same for single quotes, ' with '.

All the quote marks will now be curly.
Other word processors will have an equivalent operation.
Beware of changing the quote type whilst in some code views (eg VBA) as it can cause problems. The syntax demands straight quotes.
Faster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2011, 04:09 AM   #6
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
All the quote marks will now be curly.
But will they face the right way? What happens if you have something like: "Keep 'em comin' fast"? (Those are both apostrophes, not single quotes.)
Old 08-06-2011, 03:52 PM   #7
Faster
Connoisseur
Faster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Sony PRS 650
The following should sort it out

Quote:
But will they face the right way? What happens if you have something like: "Keep 'em comin' fast"? (Those are both apostrophes, not single quotes.)
You now deselect Autoformat As You Type.

Search for:
Code:
Find: 	'[A-z ]@'
and manually change the first one.

Last edited by Faster; 08-06-2011 at 04:03 PM.
Faster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 03:37 AM   #8
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

So, at the end it all comes to manual checking
Old 08-07-2011, 04:39 AM   #9
AlexBell
Wizard

Thanks to you both. I guess everyone has their own methods.

I don't have Word; I use OpenOffice.org for text documents.

I use the Coffee Cup HTML editor for HTML, which gives me Find Next, Replace, and Replace All options for find and replace. So for example for " I set it to replace with &ldqo; and for if it's an opening " choose Replace and if it's a closing " choose Find Next - which should of course be another opening ". Then I do the same thing but set it to replace " with ” And then I check to see if I've missed any. As Jellby wrote it all comes down to manual checking.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:40 PM   #10
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Actually, usually the quotes face the correct way I think. Not in dutch though... No problem however, I have a S&R macro to run all kind of corrections.

I know that Atlantis also can convert to smart/curly quotes. I don't know if they do get it right.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 02:24 AM   #11
shall1028
Nameless Being

Quote:
...or when it is part of Hawaiian words.
Old 08-13-2011, 03:55 AM   #12
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by shall1028 View Post
...or when it is part of Hawaiian words.
Well, yes... or other Polynesian languages, but then it's not an apostrope, but something else (&# 699;)

Or the transliteration of the Hebrew/Arabic ayin/ayn (&# 703;)

Or a Greek rough breathing (&# 788; &# 8190;)
Old 08-13-2011, 10:11 AM   #13
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
To set apostrophes properly in ePubs, see
http://fishbowl.pastiche.org/2003/07...curse_of_apos/
http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#C_16
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 01:33 PM   #14
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Oh, D..n! I thought I was nearly finished proofing three books full of "mount'n boy" talk, and all the apostrophes are & # 8217; instead of & # 39; - I blame the quoter program I found. It has another problem as well, so now I'll have to dive in and relearn lexx.

Yeah, I'm a perfectionist too. Too many years of programming, I guess.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 04:35 AM   #15
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
Oh, D..n! I thought I was nearly finished proofing three books full of "mount'n boy" talk, and all the apostrophes are & # 8217; instead of & # 39; - I blame the quoter program I found.
That's fine, the typographically good apostrophe is &# 8217; (same as &#rsquo;), while &# 39; (or ') is the straight, ugly apostrophe or single quote, which can be mostly written just as '.

The pages mentioned by charleski are about the use of the straight apostrophe in HTML, but ePUB uses XHTML, so ' can be used (though, as I mentioned, is mostly unneeded).