Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 05-20-2010, 06:45 AM   #16
alefor
Edge User

While I agree that the features mentioned are nice, the key to selling any of these devices is CONTENT. In the Apple ecosystem this translates to apps (software) and the iTunes stuff like video, music, etc. The eDGe team needs to get us more content such as the textbook store. All these features will attract few new customers.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:53 PM   #17
vicinc
Edge User

Edge is more than a e-reader, I owe few e-ink readers and just for e-reading function Alex Reader is the best, also is smaller and more sleek than our edge. But Edge due to large high res 2 screens is more than a e-reader, more than an Ipad, more than a M$sh*t running tablet. The improvements must come from the software and flexibility. I am happy with the content I find on classical book from google and guttenberg project, the ability to read newspapers and news (online) hopefully soon on the e-ink. Full flash will open a new world of content and you will not be locked in the rigid apple eco system. I see much more in the Edge concept, but they must get their act together and sort the software side or provide a SDK for others to take over.

Advert
Old 05-20-2010, 06:54 PM   #18
vicinc
Edge User

BTW, did anybody tried SIPANDROID? for sip VOIP? It runs full screen on mine, but I did not get the time to set my VOIP yet on it.

Old 06-23-2010, 06:42 PM   #19
vicinc
Edge User

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/perlow/kin...05?tag=nl.e550
I ordered a nook at USD149 can be rooted and it ok for my wiffie to read on it.
My daughter is taking owership over both edge and alex.....
hope 2 things from this:
1) Edge will drop the price and increase the sales and community
2) they pay attention to features requested here and include them on the next 2.0 upgrade. the openeink mode book reader only on dual boot WILL BE A big plus as this will increase the usage of the device as book only.
3) open the device to android market, installing software is a long winded project now

Old 06-23-2010, 06:54 PM   #20
walt526
Edge User

The lack of access to Android Market from the eDGe is the result of a decision made by Google, not enTourage. A new version of the Market is being developed and should be released later this summer, at which time it is widely speculated (but nothing official) that Google will allow non-phone devices access to it. I imagine that enTourage would love for eDGe users to access the Android Market directly.

Advert
Old 06-24-2010, 08:11 PM   #21
vicinc
Edge User

Content is a big issue. There are few market like sites but nothing is compared with the proper android market. Edge is out of any ecosystem. I suggest at least collecting the free apps and listing the link to them in a special forum

Old 06-24-2010, 08:25 PM   #22
walt526
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicinc View Post
Content is a big issue. There are few market like sites but nothing is compared with the proper android market. Edge is out of any ecosystem. I suggest at least collecting the free apps and listing the link to them in a special forum
You mean something like this?

I agree that the eDGe will be a lot better once we can access the Android Market directly. But at this time there isn't much that enTourage can do other than what they're doing (compiling their own app store and allowing people to post links to APKs available outside the Market) and hope that Google unveils the new one later this summer.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:33 PM   #23
kenjennings
Edge User

We are at Google's mercy here. They don't want the store open to non-phone, large display devices for the same reason we grumble about lack of full screen support. They couldn't handle all the end user complaints. More developers need a little time to catch up to the capabilities of Android > 1.5 and then Google will open the market when they're sure it's not going to become a customer support disaster.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:44 PM   #24
vicinc
Edge User

an automatic script to convert the apps to full screen before download?

Old 06-26-2010, 06:13 AM   #25
Snepscheut
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicinc View Post
an automatic script to convert the apps to full screen before download?
vicinc: this would be very user frendly!

Old 06-27-2010, 09:10 PM   #26
vicinc
Edge User

the reason is that they do not open the market to non phone devices must be related to their contract with the mobile networks I think.

Old 07-08-2010, 11:19 AM   #27
Franky
Edge User

an extra boost could come when the eDGe is able to hop on to the 3G-network. that would be a hammer for me. eventual tethering with my iPhone would be an alternative, but going on it's own would be fantastic.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:03 PM   #28
MichaelV
Edge User

the edge 2.0 that we all have does not have any modem, so you have to use a mifi or similar wifi device